PDA

View Full Version : J.D.Blackwell ?

TxBolt
06-25-2002, 09:08 PM
I have read alot of posts on your new motor. Correct me if I'm wrong. You sent your block away to have new rods and pistons in it, and sent the heads for new springs and valves correct? Is that better Quality and more HP at a better price or what? Is it not better to buy the package deal from a tuner? Help a East Tex Bro out!:burnout:

J.D. Blackwell
06-26-2002, 11:16 AM
Yes I had Jim D'Amore build my shortblock. New Manley pistons, Manley rods, ARP main studs, new bearings, etcc. He had to use a new block. Mine was, well....:vomit: You can go with a .010 over or a .020 depending on the condition of your cylinder walls.
Jim also does 3 angle porting and can put in new valves, springs, aftermarket cams, or whatever you want, but I sent my heads to SD Wheeler in Baytown. (www.dtaperformance.com) Shannan's prices were not bad at all considering the fact of the matter. You can do more extensixe porting if you get the oversize Modmax valves, so I had that done with a 3 angle job also. I had aggressive regrinded cams to take advantage of the extra cfm+I am going to like that nice "lopy" sound it makes too working its way out of the longtubes. Shannan says he wouldn't doubt seeing an extra 50+rwhp out of my heads. Oh, he also port matched my intake to the heads. My heads will flow 260cfm on the intake side and 212cfm on the exhaust side. I don't know what the stock flow is though...

I believe Jim now offers new billet cams that are not regrinds, but I went ahead with the regrinds, because I got the duration, lift, and lobe that I wanted.

I got most of the research out of the way for someone wanting to do the same thing I am doing. I suggest Jim for building the bottom end and Shannan doing the upper end. You need to call and ask them for prices.
Jim 732-780-0770
SD 832-556-0441 leave message

Plan on spending a nice chunk of change. I have about $8k in my motor. Oh, if you build a awesome motor you might as well get an awesome exhaust ($1,500+).
Also plan on spending a chunck of change on building up your tranny. I sent mine to Facory Tech (Gregg Evans) and cost me $1,700+$150 shipping to and from. The rear end should hold up with the 9 3/4" ring gear and 31 spline axles.

TIM, THIS IS A NEVER ENDING DEAL! That is all I have to say 'bout that. Once you get started you can't stop. I still have a ways to go. After I get it running I will wait til winter to finish.(Corbeau seats w/ 4 point, 6 point roll bar, maybe direct port nitrous, and something else I will not say right now.)

This $h!t is like a chain, if you get a bottom end done you might as well do the heads, and you might as well get valves, 3 angle, cams, etc. etc. to get all of the benefits out of the heads, and you might as well do this, you might as well do that,.......this gets to be a touchy subject with me, this truck has ate up all of my extra dough.:(

E-mail me if you have any more questions. JBlackwell69@aol.com

Sixpipes
06-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Justin,

How would you like to spend about half that much on an SVT Contour (which is for sale by BTW) only to end up with a stock motor? I will pick I up on Thursday and am real excited because Go_rila can maybe get some garage time now (54,000+ miles and counting).

Regarding one thing leading to another; ask Flatsman about that. :d

TxBolt
06-26-2002, 03:16 PM
J.D your talking alot of French to me. I,m not a machanic and I have never had a motor built for me. I called JDM and PSP this morning and PSP has a short block for 4000 without core because thay don't want the core. 22-24 for the heads. JDM was about 3695 short block with your core , like 4695 without. Since I wont ever catch you its posible I will go with the short, even though stainless valves is interesting!:D We will see how it goes it might be a bit while longer, SkankDog will have to make room in his shed for me to sleep after my wife gets ahold of me!:burnout: Thanks for your help when I have time I will read this agian and see how much I understand.:d

Badcarma
06-27-2002, 12:51 AM
J.D.,

I am curious about the cam. Is JDM offering a cam for the supercharged engine itself? I really don't want to go deep into the engine yet, I only have 9K on the motor. I do want a strong cam though.:D

Thanks!......BadCarma

Crawford
06-27-2002, 11:04 AM
J.D. Blackwell Engineering

J.D. Blackwell
06-27-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Badcarma
J.D.,

I am curious about the cam. Is JDM offering a cam for the supercharged engine itself? I really don't want to go deep into the engine yet, I only have 9K on the motor. I do want a strong cam though.:D

Thanks!......BadCarma

He told me he would have a new cam for the Gen 2's that is not a regrind. Jim has been working on different specs of cams for a while now on our Lightning motors. A lot of people like JDM, PSP, etc. do not believe in regrinding their cams, because you can only get a certain duration, lift, lobe. And the specs they want to have on their cams, the cams can't be regrinded the way they want, so they want a fresh cam already to their specs......it is hard to explain. But I told Jim my new regrinds numbers that I got, and he said it would work really well....for a regrind.

Note: There have been issues of regrinds that have to much duration on the intake side dumping to much fuel through your motor. In other words, a cam can make you waste fuel, something you may need when you get up to a very high hp level. Well Shannan at DTA ran different cam specs on the computer and found a nice set of specs that would benefit me. He gave me a duration that is not very high on the intake side, but has a lot more duration on the exhaust side.....it is just hard for me to explain.

Call Jim and ask him if his new cams are out yet. They should be, cause he was trying to sell me a set, but I already had mine made up. 732-780-0770

Try calling Shannan too. He is a mod motor nut. 832-556-0441