PDA

View Full Version : Misc questions

Band
02-02-2004, 03:36 PM
1. Can our trucks be lifted from the trailer hitch or frame only? I'm looking at jack stands and would like to know what height i require..

2. Where can I find TQ specs for tightening? (mainly looking for rear suspension specs atm)

3. Where is a good place to shop for jack stands, car jacks etc. Any special features i should look for in either, other than weight capacity?

I'm ready to get my hands dirty, any advice is welcomed..

tliss
02-02-2004, 04:11 PM
See responses below.

1. Can our trucks be lifted from the trailer hitch or frame only? I'm looking at jack stands and would like to know what height i require.. I wouldn't recommend lifting by the hitch. Something about doing that just spells out trouble to me. Lift by the frame. You should be able to place jack stands under the rear axle just inside of the wheels.

2. Where can I find TQ specs for tightening? (mainly looking for rear suspension specs atm) Some of the guys may have the manual identifying all of this. Which specs are you looking for??

3. Where is a good place to shop for jack stands, car jacks etc. Any special features i should look for in either, other than weight capacity? I got mine at Sams. You can also get them at Sears (Craftsman rocks!!).

I'm ready to get my hands dirty, any advice is welcomed..

Band
02-02-2004, 04:28 PM
I won't be able to use the jack stands on the axle. I imagine I'll need to use the rear frame to lift it.

I'll be installing traction bars...
Unbolting the Ubolts... And i would like to re-TQ my leaf springs at the shackles.

If my wheel hop doesn't go away or if anything else arises, maybe i'll try to replace the 02 leaf spring bushings before putting my 04 leafs back on..

Hell I might even try to balance my driveshaft myself lol....

PoorSvtman
02-02-2004, 06:00 PM
I won't be able to use the jack stands on the axle. I imagine I'll need to use the rear frame to lift it.

I'll be installing traction bars...
Unbolting the Ubolts... And i would like to re-TQ my leaf springs at the shackles.

If my wheel hop doesn't go away or if anything else arises, maybe i'll try to replace the 02 leaf spring bushings before putting my 04 leafs back on..

Hell I might even try to balance my driveshaft myself lol....

If you are wanting to get your driveshaft ballanced i can get you the info on the place the dealership i work at uses.

Band
02-02-2004, 07:24 PM
If you are wanting to get your driveshaft ballanced i can get you the info on the place the dealership i work at uses.

Are they local??

Crawford
02-02-2004, 07:28 PM
If you need to jack the truck up, put your jack under the rear end differential (aka the pumpkin) jack from there then throw in the stands, let the truck down on the stands and leave the jack on the pumpkin with a little bit of lift on it as extra insurance.

L8 APEX
02-02-2004, 11:03 PM
You can jack it by the hitch all you want it is bolted to the frame with 8 1/2" bolts and is twice as strong as the frame rail itself. I use 4ton stands from Northern Tool they are a lot taller and wider than msot stands. Sears also has 4 ton stands.

Band
02-02-2004, 11:21 PM
You can jack it by the hitch all you want it is bolted to the frame with 8 1/2" bolts and is twice as strong as the frame rail itself. I use 4ton stands from Northern Tool they are a lot taller and wider than msot stands. Sears also has 4 ton stands.

I bought a christmas gift set at Sears. 3.5 ton twist release jack and 3.5 ton jack stands, lil chair with rollers, jumper cables, a floor mat, tire blocks, and a lug wrench for $99.... Was a pretty good deal even tho i just wanted the jack and stands, but those were still $99....

I'm looking for torque wrenches now lol... Geez! the in/lb ones are insane in price...

L8 APEX
02-02-2004, 11:26 PM
I bought the Husky 250lb 1/2" for 59 bucks can't beat it. I save my $500 Snap On for building engines and sensitive stuff. I bought the Craftsman 3/8 75ft lb and in lb wrenches.

Band
02-02-2004, 11:30 PM
I bought the Husky 250lb 1/2" for 59 bucks can't beat it. I save my $500 Snap On for building engines and sensitive stuff. I bought the Craftsman 3/8 75ft lb and in lb wrenches.

I can't seem to find a craftsman 100 in/lb wrench. I found snapons $200 one...

I imagine i could get the 5-75 ft/lb and just adjust it to 8ft/lbs.. But that's gonna be a big wrench up in my tranny lol..