PDA

View Full Version : Will it be ok To drive for 3 hours....?

PoorSvtman
01-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Im going to be going on a road trip to killeen (ft hood) to visit some friends and let loose for a first in a long time. Question is Last time i went i rode with a friend and drove a uhaul back. Its about a 3 hour drive.

Now i know the L probly wont have enough gas to last 3 hours but im wondering if it will be ok to drive that much with a 2lb, chip, FTVB, exhaust.

Im not sure if im taking the L yet, might be sporting my g/f moms honda crv :burnout:

Also anyone live out that way and want to party in february?

Alpine
01-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Im going to be going on a road trip to killeen (ft hood) to visit some friends and let loose for a first in a long time. Question is Last time i went i rode with a friend and drove a uhaul back. Its about a 3 hour drive.

Now i know the L probly wont have enough gas to last 3 hours but im wondering if it will be ok to drive that much with a 2lb, chip, FTVB, exhaust.

Im not sure if im taking the L yet, might be sporting my g/f moms honda crv :burnout:

Also anyone live out that way and want to party in february?You will have enough gas and it will be fine. If your worried about it lasting 3 hours just drive twice as fast. I am sure it could last for an hour and a half:tu::rolleyes:

Sixpipes
01-28-2004, 10:52 PM
I recently completed an 1,800+ mile trip in my truck and averaged 16.5 mpg. This is the equivalent to going 400 miles on a tank of gas. You should be able to make the trip and back on a single tank. As far as your mods, I had a 4#, chip, etc.... setup so there is absolutely know reason you should worry about taking your truck on a quick trip to Kileen.

TP Derrick D
01-28-2004, 10:55 PM

Also anyone live out that way and want to party in february?
Ft Hood is only 160 miles away, I was stationed there '89-93.You should get there and 3/4 way back on a tank if you mods don't decrease your mpg to much.

PoorSvtman
01-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Ft Hood is only 160 miles away, I was stationed there '89-93.You should get there and 3/4 way back on a tank if you mods don't decrease your mpg to much.

Well i might pull the chip because i think its a bit on the rich side. Havent put a full tank of gas since i got the chip a few weeks ago.

99WhiteBeast
01-28-2004, 10:59 PM
I've driven to Colorado two summers in a row. 12 to 14 hour stretches with quick stops for gas in between. The L will be fine.

PoorSvtman
01-28-2004, 11:04 PM
I figured id be fine but just wanted to ask since im still learing about these trucks :tu:

02BOLT
01-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Well i might pull the chip because i think its a bit on the rich side. Havent put a full tank of gas since i got the chip a few weeks ago.
Mike,

I would advise you to keep the chip IN, for your trip. The chip only changes the parameters of the fuel maps at WOT. Furthermore, I believe your chip is one of JDM's files, which utilizes the stock fuel tables anyway.

The 2# lower is only spinning the blower marginally faster at normal highway speeds. This will have little or NO effect on the wear and tear on the blower. You could drive the thing to California and back, and should have NO WORRIES.:tu:

Later,
Rob:burnout:

bobbywade69
01-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Don't make me slap u mike!!:nono: It's all good!:D :evil

PoorSvtman
01-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Mike,

I would advise you to keep the chip IN, for your trip. The chip only changes the parameters of the fuel maps at WOT. Furthermore, I believe your chip is one of JDM's files, which utilizes the stock fuel tables anyway.

The 2# lower is only spinning the blower marginally faster at normal highway speeds. This will have little or NO effect on the wear and tear on the blower. You could drive the thing to California and back, and should have NO WORRIES.:tu:

Later,
Rob:burnout:

Didnt know the chip only changes fuel at WOT.

Bobby BRING IT.
Me--> http://www.wildhorsessd.com/emoticons/111.gif <--bobby

Silver_2000
01-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Last 2 or three years in a row I have done a driving tour starting in Dallas thru atlanta to Virginia - To NJ to Ohio to upstate NY and back to texas.. About 4300 miles if I recall

With 4# pulley and chip - I have also towed my 5000 lb boat with the same setup....( not as far )

You should be fine

Doug

L8 APEX
01-29-2004, 12:01 AM
I say Mike and Scott form their own Racing Team. They can ask many fundamental L questions. Repeat this prcoess on multiple forums and ignore all sound advise given.:rll: :D

02BOLT
01-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Didnt know the chip only changes fuel at WOT.

Bobby BRING IT.
Me--> http://www.wildhorsessd.com/emoticons/111.gif <--bobby

Bear with me, as I am not an expert on this chip tuning stuff, but it has always been my understanding that the Superchip files don't affect part throttle "normal" driving. The two biggest factors in a file on a chip are timing advance and fuel delivery at WOT.

Supercharged engines LOVE timing. The Lightning's stock fuel system is pretty damn capable in terms of its ability to feed the engine. The stock fuel system will safely support upwards of 500HP. Thus JDM has found that lightly modified L's, with the basic "chip, pulley(2# & 4#), and filter", respond safely to minor timing advances, while still utilizing the factory fuel tables to deliver the fuel, which is your case. Terry may can expand, or explain this better than me. Hope this helps...

Later,
Rob

scott015
01-29-2004, 09:53 AM
terry, laugh all you want at my stupid questions... but since i honestly dont know... i figure its safer to ask... and why ask just one person... i like to see as many answers as i can get and see what majority of people say.... seems like no 2 people on these boards have same opinions anyway....

PoorSvtman
01-29-2004, 09:58 AM
I say Mike and Scott form their own Racing Team. They can ask many fundamental L questions. Repeat this prcoess on multiple forums and ignore all sound advise given.:rll: :D

:nono: Hey scotts the one making all the posts on all the other forums not me. I keep telling him to go threw you for exhaust and such.

I spend alot of time reading and searching on f150online, nloc,etc so i dont ask any questions that are asked all the time. Besides how many posts/questions have i asked?

PoorSvtman
01-29-2004, 10:00 AM
terry, laugh all you want at my stupid questions... but since i honestly dont know... i figure its safer to ask... and why ask just one person... i like to see as many answers as i can get and see what majority of people say.... seems like no 2 people on these boards have same opinions anyway....

Scott the reason your confused about things is because you post on different boards and your getting all tons of different opinions. Id be confused to if i was getting tons of different answers from 3 boards.

scott015
01-29-2004, 10:16 AM
im not confused... i do ask alot of questions, but im ok with that... i dont have a ton of money... so if i didnt ask alot and just took the first persons advice, i would have NOS and a 6lb on a daily driver... and that obviously isnt the route most of you guys would say to go... so before I make any decision... i ask around and see what people say.... i cant afford to be doing things twice or worse, redoing something that was okay to begin with.... so why not ask a few Qs on different boards... you guys just like to :throw:

Alpine
01-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Whats wrong with NOS and a 6# on a daily driver?:evil