PDA

View Full Version : ..Attitude changes from the 70's to the 80's

blueoval01
06-20-2002, 04:52 PM
got a good laugh from these old plates I had ... WAY back when...

blueoval01
06-26-2002, 08:59 PM
OK, a in-formal pole as to who was acutally alive during these days .........LMAO
:banana:

RedNemesis01
06-26-2002, 09:26 PM
just barely on the first...'75 model here :)

hmmm...second was pretty rough (relatively speaking)...moved back to TX that year from WY...but didn't return to home sweet home (central and West TX)...instead, landed smack dab in the middle of Redneck heaven...that is, BFEast TX...and no, you big city Longview and Tyler boys don't count ;)...I'm talking the inbred capital of the world...Welcome to Center, America

Sixpipes
06-26-2002, 10:55 PM
In 76 I had been married two years. Had a 71 Monte Carlo, 73 Super Beetle, and an XL175 Honda dirtbike.

In 86 I was married with 8 & 6 year old boys. Had an 85 VW Vanagon and an early 80s El Camino.

"OK, a in-formal pole as to who was acutally alive during these days .........LMAO"

Lookin back at it, I don't really know if you would call it living. :cool:

Lil Nicky88
06-27-2002, 01:28 AM
you have kids my age...

Logan
06-27-2002, 09:03 AM
In 1976 I was 3 years old.

Moonshine
06-27-2002, 09:16 AM
In '76 I was hitting puberty and my first car ('77 Mercury Cougar XR7) was just getting ready to be built, although I wouldn't buy it for another 4 years. My "ride" at the time was a Sears Free Spirit 10 speed that I paid $30 for.

In '86 I was graduating from college and starting to search for my first real grownup job. I was on my 3rd car, a '77 Datsun 280Z with cam, header, Weber Big Mouth, Hays clutch, etc. It was capable of eating 'Vettes. Absolutely dead below 3 grand, but by 4 grand it got up on the cam and just screamed to 7500. :d

Mark #2
06-27-2002, 09:20 AM
76 was the best year of my life.

I got my drivers license…. and lost it 3 weeks later for 80 in a 35 zone. 72 beetle with all the tricks at the time. Big bore kit, cam, dual Webers, stinger pipe.

Logan
06-27-2002, 11:01 AM
Datsun....Beetle.... Stop it! You guys are crackin' me up!! :d :eek2:

blueoval01
06-27-2002, 11:10 AM
Sixpipes: With the exception of the Viet Nam war, the late 60's and 70's were an absolute blast for me. Especially the chicks .... WooHoo :eek2:

Moonshine: That '76 tag actually was on two different 1970 Datsun 2000's which was the predecessor to the 240Z.

HiHoag: I had a '71 Super Beetle convertible that was "dancing nanner" yellow ...... :banana:

:tu:

Moonshine
06-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Ypu, I remember the Datsun 2000, although I never got to drive one.

Logan, why aren't you laughing about my Cougar? Come on, it was built at the low point for the American auto industry, with its' 351 Windsor that had a propensity for breaking valve springs on a routine basis.

Logan
06-27-2002, 11:39 AM
I'm a cougar guy, that's why.

I've got something you'd die to see. One of our club member's has a red 77 XR7 that is in showroom condition and has won a number of concours trophies...

What's special about that is that simply getting parts for late 70's anything's is extremely difficult.

I believe it's also for sale if you wanna relive your youth... hahaha...

Mark #2
06-27-2002, 12:24 PM
Blueoval01,
Mine was bright Orange, one of those great 70s car colors.

Logan this is just for you.
Went to the Prom one year later in this. Unfortunately there are pictures.

73 Ford LTD Country Squire station wagan. Lime green with the lovely fake wood trim down the sides, roof rack, and all.

I kid you not, if you watch the Chevy Chase vacation movies, that is my dad's car.

It did have the police package though with the 460, posi track, dual exhaust, dual belts on every accessory, etc etc

Sixpipes
06-27-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Lil Nicky88
you have kids my age...
Yeah, I'm young for my age. :p

MadNess
06-27-2002, 05:35 PM
holy cow... I was not even alive in that first plate... I was only 10 on the second plate... yeeee owwww...

Cant wait to see some of you ol...I mean cool guys at FFW in Ennis...

L8 APEX
06-27-2002, 06:18 PM
This is a kwality thread:tu:
I was conceived in 1976 born in March of the next year. My mom had something called a super bettle puke green with a shiny CB radio that someone actually stole out of it! I think Elvis died that year..

In 1986 I was 9 years old and a product of a freshly divorced household then moved to Duncanville from Oak Cliff. My ride was a Diamond Back bike with warped rims from jumping too many ghetto made ramps in the street. I remember that high five scene from Top Gun was the cool thing. Back to the Future was my favorite movie to watch McFly!

blueoval01
06-27-2002, 06:20 PM
......LMAO
Madness, like sixpipes said, we are young for our age. :d

"Cant wait to see some of you ol ......"
We are "seasoned" professionals and can talk some good s**t ..... opps, sorry .... I mean give good advice. And it don't stink ......... :cool:

Oh jeez, I think I'm laughing as hard as Logan was yesterday on this tread. Nice break in the action for me .....

Too bloody hot for Ennis right now, but I hope to meet you some other time.
:banana:

Moonshine
06-27-2002, 08:03 PM
Funny how Doug hasn't joined in on this thread? You think he's trying to retain the illusion of youth?

Me, I'm proud to be movining into pootietangerhood. It's pretty impressive that I've made it this far, considering some of the stunts I pulled in my youth.

Terry, I'm not sure the King would appreciate being referred to as "Elve".

L8 APEX
06-27-2002, 08:08 PM
Guess that is the plural spelling:d Get your ATV cleaned up and serviced. I have some time to kill next weekend:D

MadMax
06-27-2002, 08:32 PM
1976.....Hahn AB, Germany. F-4 Phantom Fighter Base. 45 minutes fly time to the Czechoslovakian border. This was the closest location to communist territory during the Cold War. Since dad made it alive in Vietnam during the war with a record amount of sorties he was what you call "top gun" or something.... Since they had no High School we got on the bus at 4:30 every Monday morning for the ride to Wiesbaden. Once in Wiesbaden I got off of that bus onto another one to go to first period in Darmstadt!! :eek: I wrote the Music Article for the High School, General HH Arnold. We used the same publisher as the "Stars & Stripes" publication used for the military population. It rocked. How we made it in one piece, I dunno. :D In those days we were non-stop partying machines. Zell-Mosel wine was 2.00 bucks a bottle and we were chasing German girls like no tomorrow. The beer runneth rampant. Weininger is a German brewery. NO royalty here just beer brewers from 1600. I drove a 280C Mercedes that dad had as an extra...blah...blah...LOL :eek:

44.....going on 19.... :banana:

Logan
06-27-2002, 08:38 PM
mmmmmmmmmm hairy german chicks.... <drool>....

MadMax
06-27-2002, 08:45 PM
nope...these german chicks were americanized....we got to shave them on all the white spots. :tu: It is like a fine fetish...time moves slowly and your eyes get sore.... Hey Logan.....signed up for College...Computer Programming...Intro first then we will see....LOL. DCCC has an Oracle Certified DBA Program. I am starting with step one...then C++/Java/SQL...some UNIX...if this don't work out I am gonna go CISCO CCNA/CCNP. I have money in reserve. I am good for 2 years. But ZERO mod money :mad:

:tu:

blueoval01
06-27-2002, 09:33 PM
MadMax, the best thing I did to "learn" was to setup a home network. Then, I didn't have to depend on the office and/or classroom to get experience. :o

SQL rocks and is universal in nature, you just need time with the DB software.

Cisco rocks, but the hardware is not universal (so to speak). You won't find Cisco routers in too many home networks and most are at a "Enterprise" level that you may not have access to for "practicing" your skills.

My personal network consists of 7 machines:
2 - Win98, 1 of which is wireless
1 - Mandrake Linux
1 - Win XP
2 - Win2K, 1 of which is wireless
1 - Sun Solaris
......... and I hope to add at least one more Sun machine next week.

Hope this helps ........ and happy codin'

RedNemesis01
06-27-2002, 09:49 PM
If you retooling geezers :eek2: need any questions answered along the way to techno enlightenment, send 'em along ;)

bill

blueoval01
06-27-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by RedNemesis01
If you retooling geezers .... ;)
bill

Wonder if I could appy that knowledge to a certain personal feature and add six inches? :eek2:

:d

Logan
06-28-2002, 07:47 AM
2 - Win98, 1 of which is wireless
1 - Mandrake Linux
1 - Win XP
2 - Win2K, 1 of which is wireless
1 - Sun Solaris

Geez mark, that's almost approaching "Geek level 9"!!!

:D

MadNess
06-28-2002, 10:02 AM
you think he is bad... here is what lives in my home

14 various Compaq servers
12 different external drive arrays, both fiber and wire
4 various IBM servers
between 8 and 12 workstations, not sure
Cisco 48 port 100meg vlan switch
1 Watchguard firebox II (firewall and vpn and other stuff)
all kinds of various other stuff, and hardware and what not...
there are 5 or 6 various printers, and print spooling devices
currently there is around 150 various harddrives and such... im not actually sure of the storage total.
I have 3 different tape robots for backup, 1 nice 3 drive HP DLT changer with 48 tape library
main source of battery backup is a matrix system with 2 of the medium sized batts, trying to work a deal for 2 more as we speek.

Half of this stuff is setup in an older telco free standing rack, the rest is spread in another bedroom across a very large set of desks.

my OS structure:

main subnet (resource) is madeup of NT 4.0 server with things like exchange, sql, and IIS running...

secondary subnet is madeup of machines running win98SE...

currently in the migration stage (if I ever get off my duff and finish) is a migration to windows 2k with ADS and a global catalog structure with exchange 2000...

I know im leaving things out, however that is all I can think of at the present :)

MadNess :)

Sixpipes
06-28-2002, 10:39 AM
Oh yeah? Well I use to have an 8-track cassette in my car. :cool:

blueoval01
06-28-2002, 10:40 AM
WHOA !!! :eek2:

No wonder I get such good response times from Yahoo and Google search engines .... they're just down the road .... :D

MadMax
06-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Sixpipes
Oh yeah? Well I use to have an 8-track cassette in my car. :cool:

kewl...I gotty the big Teac Reel-to-Reel from the 70's...bought it in Frankfurt... run.... :eek: It has 2 big 12 inch... :eek: reels that is....

Logan
06-28-2002, 11:09 AM
Madness is completely geeked out. I bet you're all pasty white too... :D

Me, I'm long past the stage of actually caring about technology... It's just a paycheck now...

MadNess
06-28-2002, 11:32 AM
Ive lost alot of interest in the past year or so, its more of a paycheck thing now as well.... I keep trying to figure out what im going to do with this stuff as the years go by...

actually im not that pasty white... here I am: http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/albums/madness/trophy.jpg im the guy with the trophy, duh!

as far as older equipment, I have some of that as well... I believe I still have 3 AS400's and a really old CICS system...

I used to be really interested and excited playing with this stuff... its turned more into a side job now though... course I do have some nice things becouse the equipment... it allows me to play with new things, and keeps my wife up in the tech world as well....

I think thats why Ive really taken a liking to modding and racing the L, something different to do and its fun :)

blueoval01
06-28-2002, 11:53 AM
Hummmm Madness,
You wanna sell a AS400 cheap or all three, cheap?
I'm looking for another Sun Ultra 30 as well, cheap.
:D

MadNess
06-28-2002, 11:57 AM
well I would give you the AS400s., I need to go to the guarage and make sure they work, ill get back with you and let you know. They have not been powered up in probably 5 or 6 years....

I dont have any Sun machines at the present, I was trying to work a deal with a previous employerer that went under for one, did not work out though :)

Ill write myself a note to check this weekend to see if those AS400s atleast still power on... then you get to play with getting them running somewhat reasonable :) LOL these are not "pretty" machines, they are very used, and its very evident ;)

Ill check it out though,

MadNess ;)

RedNemesis01
06-28-2002, 01:37 PM
damn...participate in dot-bomb firesales much? :-D

nice setup btw

oh yeah...I concur w/Logan...just a paycheck now

MadNess
06-28-2002, 01:46 PM
actually, I did by a couple of the compaq servers and 1 of the ibm servers new...

the rest came from things like,

companies that owe me for some sort of service and no longer had money, so I would take interesting trades of equipment.

I large piece of my stock came from a company called stewart tittle, they closed two field offices and a buddy of mine ran the IT department... one of the VPs told him to have those offices cleared of computer stuff and what not.. and he didnt care about selling the stuff... just needed it out... so I cleaned out two old field offices of servers, drives, monitors, keyboards, and other junk... all for free

some of the best stuff though came from a company that failed that I worked at a while before they died... I just happen to talk to my old boss one day, he told me of the pending doom, and got my name in the hat on some choice stuff...

In all honesty, I havent a clue what to do with all this stuff now.. its greatly under used...

I have some websites running, and ftp servers and such.. however I dont think I have a max load over 3% of the total equipment...

Its more of just a paycheck now...

blueoval01
06-28-2002, 02:28 PM
Madness,
I'm trying to expand my DB development/ Q&A / Debugging tools and systems by about 500% in the next 30 days.
I'm definately interested in anything you want me to haul off.

Thanks .....

RedNemesis01
06-28-2002, 02:31 PM
I might be interested in some goodies as well...if'n you're looking to part with'em

MadNess
06-28-2002, 02:58 PM
im not looking to drop any current inventory, except this quad xeon 5500 I have, course I dunno if you are looking to drop that kinda dime...

as far as the mainframes, if they work, they are yours dude :)

RedNemesis01
06-28-2002, 03:13 PM
let's see...quad xeon 5500...probably a db server or app server from a failed dot-com...went for 200 bucks at the fire sale...I'll give you 250...that's 25% margin, which is a helluva a lot better than the markets are providing right now...so really...whaddaya axin' for it?

MadNess
06-28-2002, 03:41 PM
actually that machine was bought online for 1100 with 2procs and 256 megs of mem, its been updated to quads 550mhz with 2 gigs of mem... you can see the expense LOL that does not count the damn harddrives that are in it... it came with empty bays, now its loaded with 9.1 gig hotplug drives, and it runs two external arrays, 1 fiber, and one copper... im using it as an app server/space machine

blueoval01
06-30-2002, 08:09 PM
Hey Madness, nope, I'm really just interested in the AS400 systems ....

Thanks ........ :tu:

Badcarma
07-01-2002, 02:35 AM
Whatsa 8 track anyway?:eek2:

I'm a 69 baby..1969 that is.:D I think we landed on the moon that year.

MadNess
07-01-2002, 09:08 AM
well I did manage to get those two AS400 machines out of the hiding places in the garage... however they are both full of about 500lbs of much.. so i gotta crank up the old air compressor and do some de mucking before I dare plug one in.. else we could have a nice big bonfire on our hands... Ill let you know how it goes this week.

Sixpipes
07-01-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Badcarma
Whatsa 8 track anyway?:eek2:

I'm a 69 baby..1969 that is.:D I think we landed on the moon that year.

8_track cassettes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=888477667

As you can tell they are quite valuable even today. :cool:

Mark #2
07-01-2002, 11:33 AM
I have a Realistic 8-Track player in the garage for anyone interested. Highest bidder.

Moonshine
07-02-2002, 09:18 AM
Well, if I was gonna' put the 8 track in I'd have to move the CB over, nah.....:tongue: