PDA

View Full Version : Want to drop the rear a tad

Band
01-01-2004, 09:28 PM
I have been looking and can't seem to find any 1 inch drop shackles for a lightning, just f150's.

Anyone have any info on manufactures? I can only seem to find belltech shackles.

L8 APEX
01-01-2004, 09:34 PM
The shackles have holes for 1 and 2" positions. The 22" hole only drop it about 1.5" anyway.

L1nt2B
01-01-2004, 09:35 PM
I got a 2" belltech drop on mine. Terry put it on fast and cheap.

What about a 3/4 drop Terry? I think Im about ready for that now and a hood of course :twitch:

Band
01-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Yeah, but 2 inch is too much. I mainly want my 04 to sit like an 02.

Band
01-01-2004, 09:39 PM
The shackles have holes for 1 and 2" positions. The 22" hole only drop it about 1.5" anyway.

The stock shackles have 2 holes? Or are you saying the belltech 2 inch lightning shackle has a hole for 1 and 2 inch drops.

99WhiteBeast
01-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Yeah, but 2 inch is too much. I mainly want my 04 to sit like an 02.
If you want the 04 to sit like an 02 you're going to need to drop it more than 2"

Most people go with a 1/2 (front/back) on 99-02 and a 3/4 on 03-04's

Band
01-02-2004, 12:02 PM
If you want the 04 to sit like an 02 you're going to need to drop it more than 2"

Most people go with a 1/2 (front/back) on 99-02 and a 3/4 on 03-04's

I don't want to spend the money to drop the front. If i drop the rear more than 1.5 inches, the back will look like its sagging.

99WhiteBeast
01-02-2004, 12:18 PM
I don't want to spend the money to drop the front. If i drop the rear more than 1.5 inches, the back will look like its sagging.
Cool- then I would just go with the Belltech shackles for like $40-60 and this will give you options you're looking for (drop holes from 3/4" to 2")

Band
01-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Cool- then I would just go with the Belltech shackles for like $40-60 and this will give you options you're looking for (drop holes from 3/4" to 2")

That sounds like it would be ideal...

StormShadow
01-02-2004, 01:02 PM
You can see mine tomorrow. I have an '03 with the belltech 2 inch shackles in the back.

Nuhklz
01-02-2004, 02:45 PM
You can see mine tomorrow. I have an '03 with the belltech 2 inch shackles in the back.
You can also see my 03 when you come over on Sunday. I don't think there's much difference between the 03's and 04's and I've got the 2" drop.

Band
01-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Cool! :tu:

TP Derrick D
01-02-2004, 11:20 PM
I have been looking and can't seem to find any 1 inch drop shackles for a lightning, just f150's.

Anyone have any info on manufactures? I can only seem to find belltech shackles.
Will '00 stock shackels drop it like you want? 99-02 sit lower from the factory anyway. If thats the look you want I got factory front springs & rear shackles from my '00 you can get very reasonable. :) I did a 1-2 on mine.
Groundforce was the company that made mine and they are sold through SVT dealers I believe or at least I got mine from one(Racing Superstore, Arlington) :tu:

Band
01-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Will '00 stock shackels drop it like you want? 99-02 sit lower from the factory anyway. If thats the look you want I got factory front springs & rear shackles from my '00 you can get very reasonable. :) I did a 1-2 on mine.
Groundforce was the company that made mine and they are sold through SVT dealers I believe or at least I got mine from one(Racing Superstore, Arlington) :tu:

During my research i found out with my own eyes that the link springs in 03-04 are what gives it the higher stance and higher payload capacity. I appreciate the offer.

Talked to the Drop Zone today and they will drop my truck 1 inch for $100. I think the shackle was 40-50 dollars. Will prolly get that done next week.

Alpine
01-03-2004, 01:05 AM
During my research i found out with my own eyes that the link springs in 03-04 are what gives it the higher stance and higher payload capacity. I appreciate the offer.

Talked to the Drop Zone today and they will drop my truck 1 inch for $100. I think the shackle was 40-50 dollars. Will prolly get that done next week.The Drop Zone sucks:banned ...lowered my buddys truck 2/4 and just decided to take all the bump stops off:nono: .....go to Terry and get it done right for 90 bucks. You wont even notice an inch drop in the rear of an '04. Go with 2".

Nuhklz
01-03-2004, 08:27 AM
The Drop Zone sucks:banned ...lowered my buddys truck 2/4 and just decided to take all the bump stops off:nono: .....go to Terry and get it done right for 90 bucks. You wont even notice an inch drop in the rear of an '04. Go with 2".

Agreed :tu:.

PoorSvtman
01-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Agreed :tu:.

I have had friends that used to work there and i used to hang out there all the time. I highly recomend NOT going to Drop Zone. They do half ass work.

If you realy want to save money do it yourself. There not that hard

skalywags
01-04-2004, 06:38 PM
I have had friends that used to work there and i used to hang out there all the time. I highly recomend NOT going to Drop Zone. They do half ass work.

If you realy want to save money do it yourself. There not that hard

After seeing what Terry did to the mine, he's right it's not that hard, but if you want someone to do it Terry will do it for $90 (like they said). Also, as they said, the 2" is probably the way to go. I have the 2" Belltech shackles on mine. It has almost evened the truck out. I think the ass-end is still a tad higher than the front. Don't know if you can tell by the pics I posted, or my avatar, but I have a couple side views in the gallery under Skalywags (of course) and there is a pic in the Toy Run gallery.

Band
01-04-2004, 07:50 PM
After seeing what Terry did to the mine, he's right it's not that hard, but if you want someone to do it Terry will do it for $90 (like they said). Also, as they said, the 2" is probably the way to go. I have the 2" Belltech shackles on mine. It has almost evened the truck out. I think the ass-end is still a tad higher than the front. Don't know if you can tell by the pics I posted, or my avatar, but I have a couple side views in the gallery under Skalywags (of course) and there is a pic in the Toy Run gallery.

I'm not lowering it for appearance, I like the back higher than the front. I just need to get it to sit down more, and hopefully that will rid my rear end vibration.

I'll give Terry a shout when he gets back in town. I was talkin to Nuklz and lookin at his truck. Now i realize i don't have to worry about the rear end sagging with a 2 inch drop, cause it's a 1.5 inches actual drop.

PoorSvtman
01-04-2004, 10:36 PM
I'm not lowering it for appearance, I like the back higher than the front. I just need to get it to sit down more, and hopefully that will rid my rear end vibration.

I'll give Terry a shout when he gets back in town. I was talkin to Nuklz and lookin at his truck. Now i realize i don't have to worry about the rear end sagging with a 2 inch drop, cause it's a 1.5 inches actual drop.

I dont think the shackles are going to fix your vibration problem.

have your tried taking your L to a different dealer. Did they check your drive shaft at all? it could be out of balance. If you want i can get you a number of the shop we send all our motorhome drive shafts to.
I remember your post but didnt remeber all the details.

Band
01-04-2004, 11:03 PM
I dont think the shackles are going to fix your vibration problem.

have your tried taking your L to a different dealer. Did they check your drive shaft at all? it could be out of balance. If you want i can get you a number of the shop we send all our motorhome drive shafts to.
I remember your post but didnt remeber all the details.

I haven't taken it to another dealer yet, it takes quite a bit of time. They should have checked the driveshaft, I don't believe they did. The dealer also said they don't balance them or check them, they just replace the driveshaft when they see that as being the problem. They say its a normal vibration cause the 04 on the show room does the same thing. The dealer mechanic said its because of the newer suspensions. So my plan is to lower the rear end a bit to give the drive shaft a more comfortable angle to the axle. I spoke with the service manager. So if the lowering doesn't fix the problem, I'll be goin back to that dealer to have them look at it again with one less excuse for them to make about it. They basicly told me too lower it haha. Yeah I'll run into warranty problems.

But on the positive side, I'd rather lower it and see if that fixes it before i spend another 4 days off work with a dealer, for them to say "its supposed to do that".

I do plan on loading my truck down to see if the symptoms clear or not. Right now, I believe at higher spends the body is lifting and giving more angle to the driftshaft. We will see.

PoorSvtman
01-04-2004, 11:12 PM
I haven't taken it to another dealer yet, it takes quite a bit of time. They should have checked the driveshaft, I don't believe they did. The dealer also said they don't balance them or check them, they just replace the driveshaft when they see that as being the problem. They say its a normal vibration cause the 04 on the show room does the same thing. The dealer mechanic said its because of the newer suspensions. So my plan is to lower the rear end a bit to give the drive shaft a more comfortable angle to the axle. I spoke with the service manager. So if the lowering doesn't fix the problem, I'll be goin back to that dealer to have them look at it again with one less excuse for them to make about it. They basicly told me too lower it haha. Yeah I'll run into warranty problems.

But on the positive side, I'd rather lower it and see if that fixes it before i spend another 4 days off work with a dealer, for them to say "its supposed to do that".

I do plan on loading my truck down to see if the symptoms clear or not. Right now, I believe at higher spends the body is lifting and giving more angle to the driftshaft. We will see.

Well Good luck. Tell them to check the drive shaft with you there. We have a lil electronic gadget at work that the shop foreman uses to check them.

Band
01-05-2004, 06:49 AM
Well Good luck. Tell them to check the drive shaft with you there. We have a lil electronic gadget at work that the shop foreman uses to check them.

Good to know, will do. You know they will just say they can't get to it for a few hours.

PoorSvtman
01-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Good to know, will do. You know they will just say they can't get to it for a few hours.

Tell them you have a few hours to kill. Even tho you may not say it anyway.