PDA

View Full Version : Calling Sixpipes and anyone else with Roush

Shazbot
06-18-2002, 07:37 PM
I was thinking about lowering the L just a bit and wanted to know how your Roush suspension is holding up. I remember when you got it installed, so you've had a good, long while to form an opinion. Couple of questions (yep, I read the Lightning FAQ):

1. I'm thinking about going the 20" chrome replica route (thanks for the info on my last thread, by the way). Since you have a similar setup, do you have any problems with wheel well rubbing (say that three times fast)? :tongue:

2. I haven't heard much talk of Roush suspensions lately. Are they still doing it? If so, where in Dallas can a chump like me get one? The Roush website stinks, by the way. :mad: No relevant information.

3. How is the ride with your 20" wheel / tire combination with the Roush? I already have the Bilsteins but wonder if there is a better combination. Should I go for the full install? The full install uses Bilsteins, if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry about another long post. Thanks for your help.

Shazbot
06-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Okay, before the search police confiscate my membership, I found some information. According to Sixpipes:

My Roush suspension loves the firmer feel of the 20s (295/40ZR20 Dunlops). (http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75383&highlight=Roush+suspension)

So, I'm starting to ferret out the info. Anything you would like to add here would be a-ok with me. Thanks, again.

Sixpipes
06-18-2002, 08:53 PM
No tire rubbing with the 295/40ZR20 Dunlops. I'll have the Nitto 305/40ZR20s on by Friday. Couldn't wait until the first part of August for the Pirellis. The handling is better with the 40 profile 20s than it was with the stock tires IMO.

I really like the way the Roush handles on smooth roads. Carlos said it wasn't too bad either. :p But it is not for everyone. Particularly if you live in North Carrollton.

HIHOAG (Mark #2) just installed his last month and I think prefers it over the Hotchkis. The Bilsteins that come with the Roush kit are "tuned", that is, they are meant to work in the same range the suspension operates.

I think we are the only TALON guys that have the Roush suspension. Probably one reason for that is the cost. You can get a similar "look" for a lot less money, but no comparison on handling. :cool:

Silver_2000
06-18-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Sixpipes

I really like the way the Roush handles on smooth roads. Carlos said it wasn't too bad either. :p But it is not for everyone. Particularly if you live in North Carrollton.
:cool:

Was that a shot ??
THe roads in my town are just fine....lol
Doug

Ivanhoe_Farms
06-18-2002, 09:43 PM
You can get lost on some of the dirt roads with a Rousch suspension or something:banana: :banana:

L8 APEX
06-18-2002, 09:59 PM
I like my Hotchkis though it was never perfect until I went with the 12 way QA1's. The sway bars made a large difference too! I have heard customer service complaints from Roush, I know Hotchkis is easy to buy and deal with. Or maybe my opinion is biased because I have a kit in stock:D I have done kits for looks and kits that handle and they are totally different so know what you want out of it. I was working on a 2/4 drop truck with a looks kit from BelTech and ran it around the road course:( I had to go back and get mine and show the customer what is possible. Having a shop on a track kind of makes me a suspension and braking nut:tu:

Sixpipes
06-19-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!

Was that a shot ??
THe roads in my town are just fine....lol
Doug
Seems I remember a few comments about the bump stops getting a good workout when you took it for a spin around the neighborhood. :p

Mark #2
06-19-2002, 10:58 AM
I have had 3 different set-ups: the stock springs with shackles, Hothckis springs with 2001 shocks, and now Roush springs/shocks in my 2000 Lightning, all with the stock wheels and tires.

The Roush is softer in the rear than the Hotchkis so it hooks up better for the 1/4 mile and oversteers less on the road courses IMHO. The front springs are about the same. Roush is lower than Hotchkis by ~0.75" all the way around.

I have the Hotchkis sways and would recommend them. They are quality pieces.

Mark2

MadMax
06-19-2002, 06:28 PM
Hotchkis=960 #/in front and 300#/in rear. Roush...I dunno :D

HAL QA1 12-way/Hotchkis... :tu: