PDA

View Full Version : Truck not running good, what could it be

scott015
12-22-2003, 10:49 AM
hey guys, as many of ya know Iv only had my truck for about 2 months if that... I bought it used. Its a 2000 with 68,000 miles. The engine was replaced not repaired at about 50,000 miles because of a blown spark plug. So the engine only has about 20k miles on it... so its like new... after the new engine was replaced, the previous owner put on a 4lb, 90mass air, denso IT20 plugs, JLP ram air, traction bars, Flowmaster and a PSP chip. I called PSP (Sal) and he said that the chip is a little outdated and there is an upgrade right now... and he said all its programmed for is the 90 mass air and the 4lb... but he wants $100 to reprogram... not sure if its worth it... i guess it is if it actaully helps. But he said its best if I got it dyno'd first before reprogrammed.

so here is my problem... I never test drove any other LIghtnings before this one, so I have nothing else to compare to... but i just dont think it "FEELS" like its running its best. Its hard to explain... heck, if one of you guys know about this stuff, id love for ya to stop by my store and take it for a test drive and tell me what you think...

anyway, the pedal feels heavy... kinda like when i get on it is 'hesitates' for a split second... doesnt immediatly go... sometimes when i start to get on it, it even cuts out for a second... not the engine turns off or anything, but feels like the power or the gas goes away for a second... then comes back... very weird... anyway, not sure what it is or if its anythign at all... but im concerned because on Saturday I got beat by a STOCK Z28... wasnt from get go.. but about 30 roll on.... and i was embarased.... only beat me by about 1 car length... but i coudlnt catch him...

so immediatly after that, i went and changed my oil (havent done since I bought the truck) and I did complete with Royal Purple.... and also had a thought about the fuel filter... but iv never done that so I dont know where it is or anything about that... would that maybe be a problem at 68k miles? im sure its never been replaced....

then, i also DO belive my air/fuel ratio is a little messed up.... iv heard some tell me its running rich because you can actually smell the exhaust and there is alot of black on my pipes... but then, when I look at my autometer air/fuel ration gauge, (not really sure how to read it anyway) i think its telling me its running lean.... the little dot goes back and forth pretty quick, but it goes all the way to the left to the Lean and stays for a second... then goes back and stops at right when it gets to rich, doesnt go all the way to the right... and then goes back to the red....

so anyway, im hoping its something small like fuel filter or plugs or reprogram.... anyone have any ideas???

Silver_2000
12-22-2003, 10:57 AM
Your A/f guage is pretty useless

I would replace the fuel filter and check the plugs to start with

Fuel filter is about $10 and is a bout a 10 min job

There is a how to on SVTlightnings that should help

Doug

99WhiteBeast
12-22-2003, 11:50 AM
I'll stop by today and give a test drive if you like. Let me know.

andy_cain
12-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Agree with doug, sounds like fuel filter.:d
The thing on the AFR is under WOT, watch to see if the AFR LED is in the green...other than that, they are useless (I have one too)
Mine at a steady 90 MPH cruise with a vacume of 10PSI my afr gauge stays at the 3 o'clock position.
At WOT, my AFR peggs out the end of the Green....other than that, it may as well be lights dancing to my stereo as far as I am concerned:rll:

scott015
12-22-2003, 12:02 PM
ya steve, if ya dont mind... come on by today and just gimme your thoughts...

scott015
12-22-2003, 12:04 PM
hey steve, what time ya think u will be able to come by? if i dont get much in here today, i was thinking of closing early for holidays.... fri and sat i was dead!!

PoorSvtman
12-22-2003, 12:23 PM
hey steve, what time ya think u will be able to come by? if i dont get much in here today, i was thinking of closing early for holidays.... fri and sat i was dead!!

if you change the fuel filter i got the lil tool u can borrow. Ill stop by after work and see if your there. U can My L if you want to compare

scott015
12-22-2003, 12:26 PM
ok great, ill use that tool... maybe u can even help me out... im not really sure on how to even do it... i read the how to and it looks easy enough... but i would just feel confident with someelse there with me for the first time... i would also like to check my plugs to make sure they are tight.... iv never done that either....

learning a lot of new things with the new L... iv never had a car before that i cared about... changing plugs, fuel filters, thats ALL new to me

microsuck
12-22-2003, 01:24 PM
its definately worth the $100. after that its only $20. its cause u bought it used. about the power, you may just be getting used to how fast it is and its lost its thrill. :( yes, it happens. about loosing to the z28, there could be lots of reasons. most people say they are stock, regardless. I am:evil . so thats a possibility. for an easy fix, you should dissconnect the battery for a min. it will waken it up a lil bit. and then the final solution is what i usually do when that happens to me...........................

buy more mods.

Andrew

scott015
12-22-2003, 01:27 PM
what does disconecting the battery do?

microsuck
12-22-2003, 01:31 PM
what does disconecting the battery do?it clears the computers memory about fuel curves and make is fresh again. these trucks have a tedencey to "dumb themselves down" after a few weeks. some guys do it before each pass. I do it every other tank or so.

PoorSvtman
12-22-2003, 01:32 PM
ok great, ill use that tool... maybe u can even help me out... im not really sure on how to even do it... i read the how to and it looks easy enough... but i would just feel confident with someelse there with me for the first time... i would also like to check my plugs to make sure they are tight.... iv never done that either....

learning a lot of new things with the new L... iv never had a car before that i cared about... changing plugs, fuel filters, thats ALL new to me

Yea ill help ya.

scott015
12-22-2003, 01:42 PM
mike, not sure when im leaving today.... Jason is helping me install my amp and front speakers... meeting him at his house at 6 tonight.... so ill probably leave here and close early today by 4-5.... so dont know if i will be able to meet up with you today or not... but i think im gonna close store tomorrow, so maybe on your way home u can stop by my house tomorrow... its on your way home or close to it i think.. i live in mansfield.... i heard that the fuel filter should only take about 20 mins or so.... i would also like maybe check my plugs to make sure they are not lose or need changed....

also, a little off subject... i called alamo autosports and redline performance today.... alamo wanted $100 for 3 pulls and redline wanted $65... first thought is DUH... $65 is better than $100... but Alamo guy said that he knows which machine Redline has because he sold it to them... he said its not really what i want for the AF ratio print out... is he just saying that BS to get me to go to him or is it true?? i wanna get it done correctly... but $100 seems high...

also, my wifes uncle owns a car inspection place i didnt even know about... i know he used to, but i thought when they changed over this new way of doing it a year or so ago, he went out of business... but he didnt, he bought a new $50k machine and still does it... anyway, talked to him over the weekend at xmas party and his shop is in Duncanville... he said i can come up there any sunday i want and he will put me on his dyno... he said it will show HP and TORQUE he thinks, but doesnt know about AF ratio... said hes never done it like that... just used for inspection stuff.... would his be helpfull at all?

andy_cain
12-22-2003, 01:48 PM
Might be helpfull if you ever needed an inspection sticker and couldn't pass:rll:

Like maybe for a window tint issue:rll:

microsuck
12-22-2003, 02:18 PM
Might be helpfull if you ever needed an inspection sticker and couldn't pass:rll:

Like maybe for a window tint issue:rll:shut up foo
its fords fault. thats my story and im stickin to it:d

PoorSvtman
12-22-2003, 03:13 PM

Like maybe for a window tint issue:rll:

Thats when they call me :tu:

PoorSvtman
12-22-2003, 03:15 PM
mike, not sure when im leaving today.... Jason is helping me install my amp and front speakers... meeting him at his house at 6 tonight.... so ill probably leave here and close early today by 4-5.... so dont know if i will be able to meet up with you today or not... but i think im gonna close store tomorrow, so maybe on your way home u can stop by my house tomorrow... its on your way home or close to it i think.. i live in mansfield.... i heard that the fuel filter should only take about 20 mins or so.... i would also like maybe check my plugs to make sure they are not lose or need changed....

also, a little off subject... i called alamo autosports and redline performance today.... alamo wanted $100 for 3 pulls and redline wanted $65... first thought is DUH... $65 is better than $100... but Alamo guy said that he knows which machine Redline has because he sold it to them... he said its not really what i want for the AF ratio print out... is he just saying that BS to get me to go to him or is it true?? i wanna get it done correctly... but $100 seems high...

also, my wifes uncle owns a car inspection place i didnt even know about... i know he used to, but i thought when they changed over this new way of doing it a year or so ago, he went out of business... but he didnt, he bought a new $50k machine and still does it... anyway, talked to him over the weekend at xmas party and his shop is in Duncanville... he said i can come up there any sunday i want and he will put me on his dyno... he said it will show HP and TORQUE he thinks, but doesnt know about AF ratio... said hes never done it like that... just used for inspection stuff.... would his be helpfull at all?

I can stop by when ever after 6. Just email me you addy or something.
But as far as alamo goes i will never do business with them again. There dicks and ive tried doing alot of business with them and still got screwed. They alwasy gave me the run around just because i had a honda, but was buying eclipse stuff.

scott015
12-22-2003, 03:54 PM
ok, stop by maybe tomorrow or whenever is good for you....

2804 Jennie Wells its right off Debbie Lane and Walnut creek.... just go to mapquest and you will see... its very easy... if you have any questions... just call me 817 925 0491... i would like to get the fuel filter changed out asap as i figure its the factory one...

PoorSvtman
12-22-2003, 08:13 PM
ok, stop by maybe tomorrow or whenever is good for you....

2804 Jennie Wells its right off Debbie Lane and Walnut creek.... just go to mapquest and you will see... its very easy... if you have any questions... just call me 817 925 0491... i would like to get the fuel filter changed out asap as i figure its the factory one...

yea its real easy to change. But the lil clips that hold the filter and lines together can be a pain in the a$$ sometimes. I had a Ford RV come in the other day and it took me forever to get the darn fuel filter off. :hammer:

PoorSvtman
12-23-2003, 09:53 AM
Scott Im not sure i can make it over today. They made today the end of the pay week because of xmas and will probly stay late to get work done. :hammer:
Im going to change my fuel filter saturday, wanna just do both of ours then?

SVTKID99
12-25-2003, 10:38 PM
you may want to get underneath the truck and listen to the transmission. if you hear anything whinning you my want to go get is checked my a transmission shop. Mine was doing the same type of the thing with the accerleration and the hesitations. But i had to get my pump and torque convertor replaced. But definitely go listen to the the transmission and see if you hear any thing out of the ordonary. good luck.