PDA

View Full Version : engine noise . . .

spdfreak11
06-16-2002, 11:05 AM
Terry or anyone else that might have experienced this . . . as of a month ago (been outta town for 2 of those weeks) I noticed a "rattling" noise kinda like an exhaust leak coming from the motor and even audible at the exhaust. The kicker is it doesn't do it when I'm stationary, only when the L's rollin'. ??? Could this be a loose plug(s)?? My L was fine before I got the 2 recalls taken care of. Could they have messed somethin' up?? (bankston ford) Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated . . . again . . .:hammer:

Silver_2000
06-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Definately check your plugs that sounds like what other have described before they launched a plug...

Doug

spdfreak11
06-16-2002, 11:13 AM
thanks! . ...now without sounding too naive . . . i know they're scattered . . . where are the plugs located?

tliss
06-16-2002, 11:50 AM
I know where they're located...the problem is getting to them. Did we ever create a how-to on this, with pictures? It would defintely be useful for those of us that are plug virgins!

Tom

Silver_2000
06-16-2002, 11:53 AM
http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/sparkplugs/plugs.htm

and chucks lighhtning page has more details on how to...

Doug

spdfreak11
06-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Thanks Tom & Doug!

L8 APEX
06-16-2002, 09:08 PM
Loose plug just sounds like a slight exhaust leak under light throttle or idle. This rolling rattle is a different description that I am use to. Have to hear it before I could tell you my opinion.

spdfreak11
06-16-2002, 10:59 PM
terry,

yeah it is a weird one . . .only occurs while driving at any speed . . .but at a stop (idle or revving the motor) there's no rattling. . . ??? . . .i'll have to bring it by sometime this week .. .guess i'll be riding the crotch rocket more now . . :d

spdfreak11
06-16-2002, 11:07 PM
terry . . . what are you business hours by the way???

thanks for your help

jason

MadMax
06-16-2002, 11:25 PM
Chuck's page

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/lightningpage/sparkplugs.html

L8 APEX
06-16-2002, 11:29 PM
I work for the "man" M-F. I work for myself S,S. "Only moving" makes me think it is in the driveline...

J.D. Blackwell
06-17-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by spdfreak11
terry,

yeah it is a weird one . . .only occurs while driving at any speed . . .but at a stop (idle or revving the motor) there's no rattling. . . ??? . . .i'll have to bring it by sometime this week .. .guess i'll be riding the crotch rocket more now . . :d

How many miles is on your truck?
What mods do you have?
The same thing happened to me before. I noticed a rattling at any speed and nothing when stopped. I decided to throw my tranny in neutral going about 25mph or so when I heard the noise the best. When I did the noise went away, so it was my tranny. Well all of my clutches were fried, especially my 2nd gear intermediates.
Just a thought that it might not be your engine, but there is not enough info for me to determine.

Silver_2000
06-17-2002, 07:51 AM
I have a shield or exhaust part that rattles under my truck somewher under the front passenger floor board. It only does under load. And most oftewn when the truck is cold...

Dealer has been unable to find the sound. It was MORE obvious when the blower belt was not turning last week...

Doug

spdfreak11
06-17-2002, 02:37 PM
I'd hope it's not the tranny and something more simple and (cheap) to fix. We'll have to see. The L is a 2000 with 31700 mi with a PSP 4way chip and a PSP induction kit as far as mods go. I don't drive it hard unless traffic deams it necessary. :burnout:

Thanks again for everyone's insight. Terry-I'll have to call you sometime this week. Might be kinda hard to meet up, I'm working an afternoon shift and i live aways north of your work.

Jason

J.D. Blackwell
06-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Let us know what the problem is when you find out.