PDA

View Full Version : I do believe the Transmission is gone........

f150freak
12-18-2003, 02:15 PM
Is this a commen problem with these trucks?

My 02 Lightning, yesterday on my way into work the check engine light came on. I didn't really think muck of it since at the time I saw, and herd nothing. There were no signs of a problem with my truck. After work while I was on my way home I started to hear a noise comming from my truck. I took a slight detour to my brothers apartment and we figured it was comming from the transmission. I went ahead and drove it back home and the noise keept getting louder the more I drove. Now comes the weird part, I have a Diablo Delta chip in the truck, I figured I would see what happens when I switched programs and when I did the tone of the noise changed. It went to a lower pitched sound, flipped it back to street and it went to a higher pitched sound. The best way to describe the sound is when i'm driving it sounds like a heat shield is laying on my U-joint and i'm hearing the clacking it makes, but i'm convinced thats not the case since it changes tones with the chip.

Any ideas??????

Crawford
12-18-2003, 02:26 PM
I thought when the tranny goes you get the overdrive light flashing. I thought the check engine light was engine only but I dont know. You need to hook up with one of the guys that has a code scanner so you can see whats throwing the engine light. Also might want to remove the chip completely and retest.

Ken
12-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Sounds like the common blown spark plug to me... Does the sound change when you rev in park?

Otherwise, I would guess that the whine is from the different transmission fluid preassures on the programs.

L8 APEX
12-18-2003, 08:42 PM
I don't think it is plug related, that one is obvious. Check engine light refers to engine codes. The flashing O/D lighton the shifter relates to transmission codes. Generally a tranny will slip, smoke, grind or not move at all.

bobbywade69
12-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Grinding is bad in the tranny I sould know!!!:tu: But yours is an engine code.

03'svtlight
12-19-2003, 12:01 AM
Is this a commen problem with these trucks?

My 02 Lightning, yesterday on my way into work the check engine light came on. I didn't really think muck of it since at the time I saw, and herd nothing. There were no signs of a problem with my truck. After work while I was on my way home I started to hear a noise comming from my truck. I took a slight detour to my brothers apartment and we figured it was comming from the transmission. I went ahead and drove it back home and the noise keept getting louder the more I drove. Now comes the weird part, I have a Diablo Delta chip in the truck, I figured I would see what happens when I switched programs and when I did the tone of the noise changed. It went to a lower pitched sound, flipped it back to street and it went to a higher pitched sound. The best way to describe the sound is when i'm driving it sounds like a heat shield is laying on my U-joint and i'm hearing the clacking it makes, but i'm convinced thats not the case since it changes tones with the chip.

Any ideas??????Since you are on my side of town you can swing by my crib and I can scan it for you with my predator for nuttin........ Hey L owners look out for L owners!!!!!!!!! :tu:

f150freak
12-20-2003, 03:01 AM
I took it to the dealership to have it checked out. They called earlier today and said it was a vacume leak. Would a vacume leak cause the noise I was hearing??? When I took it to the dealership the service advisor said it sounded liek my torque converter was comming apart inside, but after they fixed the vacume leak they couldn't hear the noise again.

Sounds just plain odd