PDA

View Full Version : Truck's best ET is 13.3

scott015
12-06-2003, 01:09 PM
well that doesnt seem right from what iv read... I know its a 2000 and its slower than the 01+ but i have quite a few mods....

4lb
JLP Ram Air
PSP Chip
Denso IT20 Plugs
90 Mass Air

then other stuff like exhaust, traction bars, etc but they probably dont mean much...

i havent ever taken truck to track yet, but would like to just to see what i can do... but the previous owner is one that told me his best time in the truck was a 13.3 does that seem high to you? with the mods i have, i was hoping to be in the 12s

a few have reccomended i either get chip reburned or get a new chip all together... what do yall know about PSP? i emailed them and he said they do have an update for the chip... its a little old... but wants $100 just to reburn... is it worth it?

andy_cain
12-06-2003, 01:48 PM
well that doesnt seem right from what iv read... I know its a 2000 and its slower than the 01+ but i have quite a few mods....

4lb
JLP Ram Air
PSP Chip
Denso IT20 Plugs
90 Mass Air

then other stuff like exhaust, traction bars, etc but they probably dont mean much...

i havent ever taken truck to track yet, but would like to just to see what i can do... but the previous owner is one that told me his best time in the truck was a 13.3 does that seem high to you? with the mods i have, i was hoping to be in the 12s

a few have reccomended i either get chip reburned or get a new chip all together... what do yall know about PSP? i emailed them and he said they do have an update for the chip... its a little old... but wants $100 just to reburn... is it worth it?
Your 60 foot will determine alot in the 1/4.
With about a 2.0 sixty that number could be right as traction is sure to be an issue. Best way is to look at trap speeds 105+ should net a high 12 run

Alpine
12-07-2003, 02:04 AM

4lb
JLP Ram Air
PSP Chip
Denso IT20 Plugs
90 Mass Air

a few have reccomended i either get chip reburned or get a new chip all together... what do yall know about PSP? i emailed them and he said they do have an update for the chip... its a little old... but wants $100 just to reburn... is it worth it? 2000 is slower than the '01-'04.....:nono: Stock Maybe! But who is stock. My 2000 finally is running good after several different chip reburns. Still have 3.55's and 80mm and ran a 12.34 today, and probably have less mods than you (except I have a 6lb. lower) It took me a while to get my chip right but I think it's finally where I want it. I think you really need to get a different program on your chip, there is alot of black smoke coming from your pipes. I bet it is running rich. 12's are only a reburn away! Dont send it to psp, get it done local.

By the way, the plate you made me at your shop, is awesome.

Thanks,
Jeff.

02BOLT
12-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Don't panic bro. You need to run the truck yourself and see what kind of numbers she throws down for ya. Then, YOU have a baseline based on YOUR data, as opposed to hearsay. For example...did he say what the air conditions were at the time of the 13.30 run? If it was in the mid 90's on street tires, then that is not all bad for the mods you have.

Based on the mods you have, with a good launch and a properly tuned chip, she should be well capable of 12 second times in decent air. My advice to you would be to take it to a reputable dyno, that has an Air/Fuel graph so you can get a good idea of what exactly your tune is doing. Then you can take it from there. Lightnings, awesome as they are, have their limits and can be somewhat persnickety in reference to consistent performance. Here is a short list I feel that every modded L owner should be aware of in reference to driving characteristics and performance(especially in the winter months)...

1. ENSURE you have a GOOD/SAFE tune...be it a flip chip with a "race" and "street" tune or a conservatively tuned single file chip.

2. If you're running a 4# or larger pulley...Run at LEAST a 2 step colder plug, and check them for tightness every 5000-6000 miles, as they have a nasty tendency to wiggle their little asses loose and exit the heads stage left, taking the threads with them!

3. Change the fuel filter at regular intervals...especially if you run 100+ octane fuel.

4. STAY OUT OF FULL BOOST IN OVERDRIVE!!!! (Especially if it's below 60*!) This creates an incredible amount of stress on the reciprocating assembly, and the timing advance tuned into most chips doesn't account for the load placed on the motor in O/D at WOT.

5. Stay away from 2 gear kicdowns on a REGULAR basis...ie...30mph rolling punches where the tranny shifts from third down to first, or 65mph rolling punches where the tranny drops from O/D into 2nd gear...as this too creates a lot of stress on the reciprocating assembly(especially the rods).

6. If you ever hear detonation...GET THE HELL OUT OF IT NOW!!!

These are just a few tips that may help you in getting your L up and running in top form, and KEEP it there. I don't consider myself an authority on the subject, but with help from trusted friends in this L community, my truck is now running consistent mid 11's with the stock longblock, and a carefully chosen combination of mods that help make her as efficient as possible at moving her 4800lb a$$ down the road with authority, while staying in ONE piece. Hope this helps, and ENJOY YOUR TRUCK!:D

Later,
Rob:burnout:

jcblack
12-07-2003, 05:26 PM
Hey, Alpine here. I am just guessing, but I guarantee the truck is running rich, even in 40 degree air. Take it to the dyno like Rob suggested and you will find out that I am right as usual, right Rob?:rll: :rll: :rolleyes:

By the way, good info Rob.:tu:

SILVER2000SVT
12-08-2003, 01:28 PM
A 13.3 sounds just about right. I have almost the same setup and am getting the same numbers. 00 w/3.55's, 4lb pulley, superchip by JDM, JDM filter kit, and line module valve. I consistently run a 13.2-13.4 and have hit a 13.1 a couple of times in good weather. One time I even hit an 8.3 1/8th mile with a 1.8 60' time, I think that would probably be a high 12 if I can get that kind of traction on the 1/4 mile launch. That's pretty typical from what I'm seeing, but there are a couple of guys that have a better running truck and some that are worse with similar mods.

Jason