PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug!!!!!

Stinkbug
12-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Ok fill me in, driving home on 820 today about 50mph and I lost #6 plug. Plug threds do not look bad at all. Any chance it just came loose and popped the first couple of threds.:rolleyes: I can hope cant I? I can not get the plug to catch anything. So I guess my quetion is who fixes the heads and what are some of the issues am I going to run into during tear down?

It wouldnt be so bad if I didnt have a formula in the garage with the same problem that I have yet to get back together.:mad:

L8 APEX
12-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Texan Ford has taken care of our members pretty well. They even covered Alipne's and he was 20K out of warranty. The repair bill is 2000 bucks and it requires pulling the top end and replacing the head. Some pull the engine some do it in the truck. They covered jeff's and made him pay 500 bucks or 25% which is a deal! I think the head is 800 bucks over the counter. The aluminum threads are blow out in the head. Kind of like this one of mine:beer: .

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/209-608-6059.jpg

Stinkbug
12-05-2003, 09:55 AM
The SVT guy said there is a "known concern about the possibility of plugs ejecting" and that I should take it to the dealership where I have a good relationship and see if they can help me out. My truck has only been in for the IC change and that was Payton Wright. Do you think I am better off going to Texan?

ThunderBolt
12-05-2003, 06:56 PM
I lucked-out. I checked all plugs today. (1) loose
(2) minimal torque.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I feel for you bro.
I'd check them every 5K miles or so. It'll pay-off.

skalywags
12-06-2003, 03:06 AM
Is this something that mainly happens to the modded trucks, or that doesn't matter? Is it particular to certan year models? guess I better check mine this weekend! I have 11,700 in mine.

ken cryder
12-06-2003, 03:27 AM
Is this something that mainly happens to the modded trucks, or that doesn't matter? Is it particular to certan year models? guess I better check mine this weekend! I have 11,700 in mine.
modded or unmodded it happens to both . i have heard and seen it happening to almost all years . they said they were suppose to fix the problem by adding more threads in the 03 . i have not had a problem , but that's not saying i won't .

ken

dboat
12-06-2003, 06:52 AM
modded or unmodded it happens to both . i have heard and seen it happening to almost all years . they said they were suppose to fix the problem by adding more threads in the 03 . i have not had a problem , but that's not saying i won't .

ken
Ken,
I realize this is off topic, but every time I see a pic of your truck I cant help but think just how cool that paint job is of yours.. :bows

I have paint job envy..
Dana

ken cryder
12-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Ken,
I realize this is off topic, but every time I see a pic of your truck I cant help but think just how cool that paint job is of yours.. :bows

I have paint job envy..
Dana
thanks dana
what you can't see is the way it goes under my hood and over my radiator cover , and spells out lightning . also the bed cover has a large ford blue oval painted on it with the same kind of lightning bolts coming out of it , that are on the front . i have been debating on changing it this winter , but i like the design right now . my painter is awsome , and very resonable priced . on a job like mine he charges about $1500 .

sorry to get off subject

ken

Stinkbug
12-11-2003, 07:40 PM
:flaming: Here it goes if I can think clearly to tell everyone what just happened. I took my truck to Don Davis to see what they could do for my "ejected Spark Plug"(SVT Term) it was there for 4 hours. I get a call and service says I can give you 300 off so the bill will only be 2495. The reason they can not do any better is dur to the fact that I change my own oil and its not been in for any work other than the IC recall. My comment was your telling me because I change my own oil and I have had no problems with my truck that needed service you can not extend me your best cost savings. He says no its because you have not taken you truck to a dealership and been loyal to the service department. So if you dont spend money with them to maintain your truck you are not aloud to call on them for a corporate engineering FU.

He calls back in 20 mins and says I can do it for 1400 that ford will give me 1500 off. I am really steaming now and probably sounded like an idiot trying to refrain myself. My only comment was its been 15 years 8 mustangs 5 new 1 a cobra, 3 used, and the L. Anyway I told him that I was not happy with that he said that was all he could do I said I will more than likly come pick it up on sat. I that case I informed him I would be trading it in on a Chevrolet.

I have a business card for the South central coroporate manager for ford I was thinking of calling him. I met him 2 years ago while trying to sell my 79 F250 460ci. Is this going to far?

Sorry guys I had to vent.:flaming:
Thanks for the help Alpine I am sure I would not have gotten this far on my own.

Silver_2000
12-11-2003, 07:45 PM
:flaming: Here it goes if I can think clearly to tell everyone what just happened. I took my truck to Don Davis to see what they could do for my "ejected Spark Plug"(SVT Term) it was there for 4 hours. I get a call and service says I can give you 300 off so the bill will only be 2495. The reason they can not do any better is dur to the fact that I change my own oil and its not been in for any work other than the IC recall. My comment was your telling me because I change my own oil and I have had no problems with my truck that needed service you can not extend me your best cost savings. He says no its because you have not taken you truck to a dealership and been loyal to the service department. So if you dont spend money with them to maintain your truck you are not aloud to call on them for a corporate engineering FU.

He calls back in 20 mins and says I can do it for 1400 that ford will give me 1500 off. I am really steaming now and probably sounded like an idiot trying to refrain myself. My only comment was its been 15 years 8 mustangs 5 new 1 a cobra, 3 used, and the L. Anyway I told him that I was not happy with that he said that was all he could do I said I will more than likly come pick it up on sat. I that case I informed him I would be trading it in on a Chevrolet.

I have a business card for the South central coroporate manager for ford I was thinking of calling him. I met him 2 years ago while trying to sell my 79 F250 460ci. Is this going to far?

Thanks for the help Alpine I am sure I would not have gotten this far on my own.
Seems pretty clear that he has some lattitude .. Based on your experience and Alpines - it is clearly something that they will take some ownership of... I would make the call to whoever to get them to take MORE ownership ...

Alpine
12-11-2003, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the help Alpine I am sure I would not have gotten this far on my own. I cant believe that s***! I will be making a phone call to Jose and the service manager in the morning, if you tell me it is ok. Oil change has nothing to do with spark plug ejection, we had similar situations except I had a whopping three oil changes done there. There is no way they can offer me to pay for 25% and you pay 50%. I feel really awful telling you to go there now. My truck was in and out in three days and only had to pay $495.00 .
Just let me know if there is anything I can do because I have pharyngitis and will not be going to work tomorrow. I am sick as he!! and this situation makes me want to :vomit:

Stinkbug
12-11-2003, 10:24 PM
I cant believe that s***! I will be making a phone call to Jose and the service manager in the morning, if you tell me it is ok. Oil change has nothing to do with spark plug ejection, we had similar situations except I had a whopping three oil changes done there. There is no way they can offer me to pay for 25% and you pay 50%. I feel really awful telling you to go there now. My truck was in and out in three days and only had to pay $495.00 .
Just let me know if there is anything I can do because I have pharyngitis and will not be going to work tomorrow. I am sick as he!! and this situation makes me want to :vomit:

No I really think you helped the situation I will make some phone calls tommorrow and see what I turn up. I might even go as far as calling another dealer and asking what terms need to be met to get my truck fixed for how much.

Any posts with valid info on this problem might help. Jose (Service) did tell me that he had fixed serveral non-L cylinder heads and it was definatly not just an L problem. He also said that if it ever became a recall that my money would be refunded. It seems to me that ford could keep this alot quiter if they would just fix them as they pop up as fast and trouble free as possible. I dont think they can afford another recall after the lastest throttle stick and seat back reclineing for no reason. And they could possibly both happen at the same time.

Stinkbug
12-12-2003, 09:56 AM
I have called Don Davis back to give them the opportunity to let me patronize the establishment since thats what it takes. They have a blk and a white 04 and will do x plan, that is if my EAA mebership has not expired.

My question is what do you think my 00 is worth. White 60K, hood scratched from barbwire fence, two small nicks in rear fender, new nittos and a blown spark plug.

Breaking news the sales man went to talk to service. Service calls me with new information the cost is now going to be around 900 rather than 1400 and I will now have a 2year 100k warranty on my truck!! WTF:flaming:

How far do you guys think I can push this before it back fires on me.

Crawford
12-12-2003, 10:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I would take that 900 dollar deal with the 2yr warranty, sounds like too good to pass up on. Keep us posted!

L8 APEX
12-12-2003, 10:38 AM
Most members are paying 500 bucks at Texan. I think I put that in the original thread on blown plugs. I wouldn't waste my time with other dealers.

98Cobra
12-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Whoa, suckage.

I have a number for someone in Ford Corporate that I worked with to get my door fixed. I won't post it up here, but you can email me and I will send it to you.

Garett

Stinkbug
12-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Whoa, suckage.

I have a number for someone in Ford Corporate that I worked with to get my door fixed. I won't post it up here, but you can email me and I will send it to you.

Garett
That would be great! neumeyer@jm.com

Terry, You did tell me Texan and that Alpine got his done there. I talked with Alpine and he and a couple of others got theres done at Don Davis for 495. I am going to call Texan and see if they will qoute it over the phone. Was it Texan in Arlington or west loop 820?

Stinkbug
12-19-2003, 05:07 PM
Well got it back last night. $878 the bill, it is hanging at 1100 rpm for at least 30-45 sec after start-up, the trans does not feel right and the burning anti freeze smell will hopfully soon go away.

Oh yea I washed it anddid the tires on the trailer before I took it to the dealer. When I picked it up it had an additional 7 miles on it , no big deal glad they tryed it out first. The wheels have enough brake dust on them the I can drag my finger in it. Surely they would not have driven the crap out of it.:flaming:

PS. I know they did.

SILVER2000SVT
12-19-2003, 05:27 PM
The $500 isn't a percentage thing. That's the cost of the drive train extended warranty. The only favor they are doing for you is selling you that warranty after your 3 year/36k factory warranty ran out. The want to do the work as long as they are getting paid by Ford for labor. The dealer usually wants to get the warranty arranged for you too because then it doesn't come out of their pocket if something else goes wrong after fixing it...like me right now with the leaking timing chain cover 5 months after getting the head replaced. You know they are going to try and claim that as something new that just popped up, unrelated to the prior repair.

Jason

L8 APEX
12-19-2003, 07:56 PM
That would be great! neumeyer@jm.com

Terry, You did tell me Texan and that Alpine got his done there. I talked with Alpine and he and a couple of others got theres done at Don Davis for 495. I am going to call Texan and see if they will qoute it over the phone. Was it Texan in Arlington or west loop 820?I believe Alpine had his done at Texan in Arlington.

03'svtlight
12-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Most members are paying 500 bucks at Texan. I think I put that in the original thread on blown plugs. I wouldn't waste my time with other dealers.
My cousin is the assistant service manager at texan ford. There today for a foggy rear taillight lens. no charge :tu:

Stinkbug
12-20-2003, 11:59 AM
I believe Alpine had his done at Texan in Arlington.
Alpine had his done at Don Davis thats why I tried them.