PDA

View Full Version : Biggest load of BS ever.

microsuck
11-30-2003, 01:30 PM
I just got back from the jiffy-fag gay-lube and paid freakin $39.50 for an inspection only to have them tell me that it failed cause the tint that FORD PUT ON IT was too dark. I watched him do it and is came back as 13%. WTF. I bought it from the dealership like that and they gave it current inspection right before I bought it? i am pissed. Ford is going to inspect my truck for free cause I am not going to pay $80 to get my truck inspected. I should have just went to lynn smith in the first place.
andrew

PoorSvtman
11-30-2003, 01:46 PM
I should have just went to lynn smith in the first place.
andrew

Yes, yes you should have ;)

But go back to the dealer you bought the L from talk to the salesmanager. Not the salesman. Tell them that they did the tint job and it failed inspection. More than likely they will either inspect it for you or offer to redo the tint to make it legal. But im sure you like the tint how it is so try and get them to inspect it.

Legal tint is 20% anything lower is ilegal.

03LightningRocks
11-30-2003, 01:48 PM
I just got back from the jiffy-fag gay-lube and paid freakin $39.50 for an inspection only to have them tell me that it failed cause the tint that FORD PUT ON IT was too dark. I watched him do it and is came back as 13%. WTF. I bought it from the dealership like that and they gave it current inspection right before I bought it? i am pissed. Ford is going to inspect my truck for free cause I am not going to pay $80 to get my truck inspected. I should have just went to lynn smith in the first place.
andrew
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is B.S. Andrew. I don't know what is going on at that darned looser, school for oil change technology, but the last 4 people I know who have had an inspection done there all failed for various stupid chit. Wiper Blades(that had just been put on a week before inspection), Tire tread(Discount tires said B.S. on that one, tread depth was fine), Failed Emissions test( on a 2 year old F150...no mods. They tried to sell him a PCV to "fix" the problem), and now this.

Thanks for the heads up about that place.

Rocks

cpeapea
11-30-2003, 01:52 PM
ghey.

PoorSvtman
11-30-2003, 02:03 PM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is B.S. Andrew. I don't know what is going on at that darned looser, school for oil change technology, but the last 4 people I know who have had an inspection done there all failed for various stupid chit. Wiper Blades(that had just been put on a week before inspection), Tire tread(Discount tires said B.S. on that one, tread depth was fine), Failed Emissions test( on a 2 year old F150...no mods. They tried to sell him a PCV to "fix" the problem), and now this.

Thanks for the heads up about that place.

Rocks

The emmisions is all done by the computer. Us inspectors just turn the car on and hit the enter key a few times. If it fails emmisions it fails. But most of the time i redo the inspection if the emmisions fail and it normaly passes the second time. But if there failing for small things, windsheildwipers, tires, etc., then they must have got a warning or a fine. Each inspection station has a person that comes out regularly to check up on them and to make sure there records of all the stickers are correct. The state also sends out regular people that look just like the average person, but there there to watch you to make sure your checking for everything, etc. They then tell the person the comes out and checks up on us and then gives us a fine or a warning.

The other inspection guy at my work got a warning because he put the wrong weight and motor size in the computer.

Also 2002 vehicles are only required for a safety only inspection which is 12.50.
safety only is 2years-or 24 years i believe. I dont do alot of older inspections. Any thing other questions just let me know and ill try and answer them or look them up in my book 2morow

blueoval01
11-30-2003, 03:53 PM
I feel for ya, Andrew. Couldn't get my daily driver inspected because of electronic issues.
Took it to the Ford dealer and ended up costing me well over $400 to get the electronics fixed and have them inspect it ........ :mad:

That's a bunch of caca ..... http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/6002/11caca.png

PoorSvtman
11-30-2003, 03:57 PM
LOL caca. Havent heard that one in awhile. :burnout:

03LightningRocks
11-30-2003, 04:01 PM

But if there failing for small things, windsheildwipers, tires, etc., then they must have got a warning or a fine. .................

That was something I thought about too. All 3 of the incidents I mentioned happened at the same Jiffy Lube. I can see how they would get "trigger happy" if they had already gotten busted.

I plan to take mine to a guy I have known for 20 years. I am a little worried about my exhaust passing. I only have one cat on each side and I was already told by my dealership that my window tint was too dark. They did offer to redo it free, but I wanted to keep this mistake...LOL.

Rocks:beer:

Silver_2000
11-30-2003, 04:19 PM
That was something I thought about too. All 3 of the incidents I mentioned happened at the same Jiffy Lube. I can see how they would get "trigger happy" if they had already gotten busted.

I plan to take mine to a guy I have known for 20 years. I am a little worried about my exhaust passing. I only have one cat on each side and I was already told by my dealership that my window tint was too dark. They did offer to redo it free, but I wanted to keep this mistake...LOL.
Rocks:beer:
As far as emissions - newer vehicles should only be hooked to odbII to scan for codes. My long tubes and single cats passed fine.

No sniff test for 96 or newer

Doug

03LightningRocks
11-30-2003, 04:50 PM
As far as emissions - newer vehicles should only be hooked to odbII to scan for codes. My long tubes and single cats passed fine.

No sniff test for 96 or newer

Doug

I sure like hearing that:d .

Rocks

L8 APEX
11-30-2003, 04:59 PM
There are several particulars on emissions. A vehicle is suppoed to maintain OEM cats unless they are determined failed/bad by a certified technician. So it is a violation to remove good working cats. If you do replace them then you must use a CARB approved product. It could be critiqued to no end. Basically the govt doesn't want you touching the stock cats unless they fail. CA is even worse..

microsuck
11-30-2003, 05:03 PM
well, they didnt hook mine up to the emmission thingey, nor the 2001 bmw right before me that passed. so now I am just looking for a way to get it done without paying another $40 or taking off my tint. any ideas?

PoorSvtman
11-30-2003, 05:33 PM
well, they didnt hook mine up to the emmission thingey, nor the 2001 bmw right before me that passed. so now I am just looking for a way to get it done without paying another $40 or taking off my tint. any ideas?

What year is your L

01 are safety only ($12.50) depending on the build date. 02 and 03 are safety only as well.

As doug said 96 and up are hooked up to the obd2 port and checked for codes and if the emmission parts are there and working properly.
So basicly if you have no codes you will pass the emmisions part. For the windshield wipers i believe they can be torn no more than an inch on each end.
Safety part includes ebrake, seat belts. tread depth lights,horn,etc.

For the tint you can always try the roll down the window and pull the fuse trick. But if they can look at the rear window and guess how dark the sides are.

Anything else just ask.

But my single cats and headers past as well.

microsuck
11-30-2003, 05:37 PM
mine is an '01. can you hook me up. $12 is okay but $40 is too much.
Andrew

SILVER2000SVT
11-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Why did they charge you if it failed? Every place I've been for an inspection doesn't charge until it passes and they put a sticker on the window...My honda failed last year after he put it on the rollers so I had to go put a cataylic converter on it then came back a week later and then got charged after it passed. Besides the tint should be obvious and they should notice that before doing anything.

One time my tint was too dark too, and I just waited for a pretty day and rolled down my windows and took the fuse out. I'm pretty sure there's no law that says that your windows have to work.

Jason

microsuck
11-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Why did they charge you if it failed? Every place I've been for an inspection doesn't charge until it passes and they put a sticker on the window...My honda failed last year after he put it on the rollers so I had to go put a cataylic converter on it then came back a week later and then got charged after it passed. Besides the tint should be obvious and they should notice that before doing anything.

One time my tint was too dark too, and I just waited for a pretty day and rolled down my windows and took the fuse out. I'm pretty sure there's no law that says that your windows have to work.

Jasonevery place i have ever been to charges you pass or fail and says if you fix it in 15 days they will pass you and no extra charge. I cant bring it back though. they know the windows work and they know they are too dark. they wont believe me.

PoorSvtman
12-01-2003, 01:00 AM
If you didnt get charged till you passed you got lucky. The law is that you pay once they have 15 days to fix and the reinspection is free, but if you are a day late they can recharge you. But if there nice they can reinspect as many times as we want to. When i was at the inspectors school they told us we could basicly give stickers out free to cars that pass. The shops have to pay for the stickers up front so the state already has there money. No investments are made with inspections the 39.50 is charged just so they can buy more stickers. safety cant go any higher than 12.50, safety and emmissions cant go higher than 39.50, etc.

Ill see what i can do for you andrew :tu:

TxBolt
12-01-2003, 12:54 PM
I just had mine inspected with off-road tint. No questions asked. You can always ask "Does this tint bother your inspection?" Some should say "No". I asked if my banner was ok before I let them even look at it. Thay didn't care. So I think its who you take it to. Good Luck.
Tim

DamonH
12-02-2003, 03:40 PM
I just had my 01 fail inspection because of the gas cap. I still think it's a racket. I watched him test my cap, it failed. He then got a new one off the shelf, it failed. He got ANOTHER new one off the shelf, tested it, it failed. I was like, 'WTF - your equipment is screwed up, just give me the sticker" but he said he couldn't bypass it. Long story short we argued alot, he recalibrated the machine, and finally got one of the "new" gas caps to pass. I finally gave in and paid the $18 for the new gas cap just to stop dealing with those morons. :flaming: He didn't say anything about my 20% tint on the sides ...

PoorSvtman
12-02-2003, 06:17 PM
I just had my 01 fail inspection because of the gas cap. I still think it's a racket. I watched him test my cap, it failed. He then got a new one off the shelf, it failed. He got ANOTHER new one off the shelf, tested it, it failed. I was like, 'WTF - your equipment is screwed up, just give me the sticker" but he said he couldn't bypass it. Long story short we argued alot, he recalibrated the machine, and finally got one of the "new" gas caps to pass. I finally gave in and paid the $18 for the new gas cap just to stop dealing with those morons. :flaming: He didn't say anything about my 20% tint on the sides ...

yes you can bypass it. When the screen shows up asking if the gas cap is there, you say yes. Then it will ask you if its testable, you select no. It will still pass your car. You are able to do that for when your inspecting rvs and such where the machine cant get to the gas cap.

By the way almost every ford gas cap fails, and 20% tint is legal. cant be anydarker than that.

Natetrun
12-04-2003, 10:37 AM
EHEHEHE....i live in ArkansAW where we don't have that inspection crap. no cats , tint black as hell...if you wanted. no more toll roads either :)