PDA

View Full Version : At Dealer for Trans Slippage

Silver_2000
06-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Trans is slipping in all gears... According to Autotap the trans pressure is low....

Tick Tock....

Wonder how much longer my extended warranty will be valid....

Tick Tock....

Doug

Logan
06-10-2002, 11:16 AM
Someone's front pump is about to go kaboom. Those is expensive. :(

How many miles on it Doug?

Silver_2000
06-10-2002, 11:20 AM
39k...

Think the front pump failure could be tied to the Mercon V the dealer put in last year ??

Also a rebuilt monster box is only $1700

Doug

Logan
06-10-2002, 11:26 AM
Yeah, there ya go. Get greg to beef you up a tranny.

You've been looking for an excuse anyway right... :)

Moonshine
06-10-2002, 04:18 PM
Are you allowed to be the featured truck on DragTruk.com the same day your truck breaks? :(

Silver_2000
06-10-2002, 07:43 PM
A better question is if you are stupid enough to take your truck to the dealer without ever opening the hood to look at the engine should you be banned from dragtruk.com

LOL
:rolleyes:
The reason the "trans is slipping" is because the blower isnt turning. The reason the blower isnt turning is cause the lower pulley is broke... Duh.... We patched together a 2# pulley from the parts that were left over from the 2 that were screwed up... We apparently over stressed the threads or shaft on the spindle in the retrofit... So if anyone wants to come over and laugh and hold the flashlight wed evening while I put a 2# back on let me know... I might just go ahead and get the 4#er what the hell...

PS - Lightnings are complete PIGS with no supercharger

Doug:tongue:

blueoval01
06-10-2002, 09:49 PM
Well Well Well .............

Doug, I'd be available as an extra hand if your need one ....

Otherwise I can laugh (snicker) from here :d

L8 APEX
06-10-2002, 11:34 PM
Time to go with an ASP style pulley:tu:

KJ94GT
06-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Just remember, do NOT take your truck to that SVT/Saleen dealership in Plano. It'll go in with a slipping tranny but come out with a bent axle and some roasted clutch packs.

Silver_2000
06-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Pulley is here... Beer is in fridge.. Ill buy the pizza ... Who is coing over to help ???
I live in Carrollton
Send me an email if you want directions...
Doug

Mark #2
06-12-2002, 03:48 PM
Did you get the 4#?

You can come over to my house tonight if you want to borrow air tools. I gave L8apex back his pulley tools though.

Mark2

Logan
06-12-2002, 04:15 PM
Got stupid HOA meeting tonight, otherwise I'd go drink all your beer. :(

Silver_2000
06-12-2002, 04:19 PM
I got both rings... 2# and 4 #- I want to install the 2# to be sure nothing is screwed from running 3 days with no blower then maybe switch to the 4#
I appreciate the offer of air tools but I have helped Shaun from JDM change about 25 pulleys at variuos FFW's.. Unless something goes wrong hand tools should be fine... If the pulley is stripped BUT wont come loose from the spindle I plan on pulling the radiator and using the saws all.
Doug

Mark #2
06-12-2002, 04:38 PM
Doug,
You obviously have much more experience changing the pullies, but don't forget to check the balancer bolts.

Mine were much less than hand tight when I did my pulley.

I recommend locktight blue on the balancer bolts and antiseize on the pulley threads.

Just my suggestions, Sixpipes can attest to my propensity for suggestions during wrenching projects.

Mark2

blueoval01
06-12-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Got stupid HOA meeting tonight, otherwise I'd go drink all your beer. :(

LMAO ......
SELECT * FROM Women WHERE Women.AttractedTo = 'me' ORDER BY Women.HooterDimensions DESC

Damn Doug, nothing like finding out a bit late ....... I can get there, but it'll be 7:30 or so.

Silver_2000
06-13-2002, 01:11 AM
Lets see 4 hours later ... After using the 4 inch grinder and liberal use of the Sawsall the old pulley is mostly off in pieces... The Shaft into the harmonic balancer is still stuck. A 24" pipe wrench and a 36" cheater pipe would only chew the metal off the shaft....

I am gonna try to find out how to remove the plate that bolts onto the harmonic balancer. We removed the 3 bolts from the plate tonight but it didnt want to come off the balancer so we didnt force it... I figured there was a trick and I was tired...

If I can remove it and find the part in stock somewhere in Dallas Ill throw it away and start fresh.... Making those to broad assumptions I should have the pulley installed Thurs nite...

MANY thanks to Jorge and Mark#4 for hanging in there and helping out...

L8 - If you want a finders fee to find that part and deliver it we can likely work something out.

Doug
http://www.svtlightnings.com/pulley/pulleytop.jpg
http://www.svtlightnings.com/pulley/cheater.jpg http://www.svtlightnings.com/pulley/stub.jpg

L8 APEX
06-13-2002, 04:44 AM
I will look for it. Personally I would run a ASP pulley so you don't run into anymore problems. Unless you like a challenge or something:rolleyes: Will this be the 4th cage? Remove the 3 bolts holding the threaded adapter in and it will come out with some, lube, rocking, jiggling.

Come to think of it Andy Cain (Wayne) has an adapter sitting in his garage from my 4# install. Take his if we cannot locate one and we can replace his later. He is up in McKinney area:tu:

Silver_2000
06-13-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
I will look for it. Personally I would run a ASP pulley so you don't run into anymore problems. Unless you like a challenge or something:rolleyes: Will this be the 4th cage? Remove the 3 bolts holding the threaded adapter in and it will come out with some, lube, rocking, jiggling.

Come to think of it Andy Cain (Wayne) has an adapter sitting in his garage from my 4# install. Take his if we cannot locate one and we can replace his later. He is up in McKinney area:tu:

Wayne you out there ? Wanna sell your part ?

L8 - I have the new designed pulley... The pulley has NOT been the cause of the problem yet. IT has been the mechanics everytime... if you could see the condition of the one we took offf it would make sense... Need to find that part one way or the other

So it just comes off ? No backward thread no special handshake ?

Doug

L8 APEX
06-13-2002, 08:21 AM
Yeah pull the three bolts and shake, hammer, wiggle it out of there. :tu:

MadMax
06-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Terry, You accusing me of "Post *****" status or something: :D As it stands, I removed the post..LMAO....but the fact remains...

Question....could Bankston Ford fit a Condom on their "limp dick" :throw: they should just call ther dealership "LIMPDICKIT" ...now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.... :eek2:

L8 APEX
06-13-2002, 09:12 AM
Who would I be to call anyone a post*****:d I get to keep your truck while you go tho the islands?:D

MadMax
06-13-2002, 10:45 AM
yeah...island living...the taj mahal or something...

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=htwv&stat=1&lcmd=8&plmd=8&locn=Kwajalein%2C+Marshall+Islands&ploc=Kwajalein%2C+Marshall+Islands&loid=&&&&dchg=&&zz=1023989736030&

Vacation accommodations=ZERO :eek:

Pics...you say you want pics?? Ok..no problemo...

http://www.wotje.org/photogal/kwaj/kwaj001.jpg

I might be a catholic priest after island duty....but it is a way to get into the largest defense contractor to the military....anyone have any good deals on blow up dolls??? At least I wont be molesting little boyz.....a la catholic priests or something.....I must be a sick puppy......but I am am not shooting turtles at the turtle farm...LMAO

telecom is decimated as we speak...this year will surpass last with a record number of personal BK 7/11's..and that ain't no 7/11 store...check Plano out and observe the "FOR SALE SIGNS" ....foreclosure city....the slide of the economy is not over...telecomm workers are above average in salary....money is not spent....been to any car lots lately??? DEAL CITY!!!!

blueoval01
06-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Doug, did you get what you needed today ?
What did Jim say?

Silver_2000
06-13-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by blueoval01
Doug, did you get what you needed today ?
What did Jim say?

Parts are coming tomorrow..
Final piece of the install Fri Nite or Sat.

The Ring just pops out after the 3 bolts are removed. Slight tap with hammer should get it...

Thanks again for our help....
Testing of the 4# er begins Sat at the lastest..

Doug

Logan
06-13-2002, 09:14 PM
Now that the hard part is over, I can come over and drink your beer Friday night if you like.... :)

Silver_2000
06-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Unless hiedi klum calls and wants to go to a movie I will be finishing it up Fri Nite...

Logan the slacker and anyone else is welcome to come by snicker at the 15 or so pieces the old pulley is in...

Doug

Sixpipes
06-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Thats not THE Heidi Klum of the Heidelberg Klums is it?

Logan
06-14-2002, 09:05 AM
What time Doug?

Silver_2000
06-14-2002, 09:19 AM
I should be able to slip out of work by 6 or before.... so say 7 ?

Doug

Silver_2000
06-14-2002, 02:31 PM
The part is waiting at the warehouse _ I have to leave early to go get it - I will likely go home from there

Likely around 4

Logan
06-14-2002, 03:31 PM
Just call me when you get home ... :)

Silver_2000
06-15-2002, 09:17 AM
Logan shows up just in time to drink beer since I was putting away the tools when he arrived... Those UNIX guys are pretty smart..

Boy its good to have the pump on the top of the engine working again....

Getting belt for 4#er today....

Doug