PDA

View Full Version : gear ratio's

ken cryder
10-24-2003, 01:28 PM
i'm running the stock 3.55 s in mine . how much will i gain with the 3.73's . will it help on top end or launch the most , or through the whole power band ?

has any body else converted thiers , and what gains did you get ?

ken

J.D. Blackwell
10-27-2003, 12:40 PM
I would say about a .1 to .2 quicker in the 1/4 because of the better 60ft you would have. If you are running 26" slicks, I wouldn't recommend them though. Heard from too many people that 3.73's and 26" tires don't work to well.

Justin

ken cryder
10-27-2003, 02:49 PM
I would say about a .1 to .2 quicker in the 1/4 because of the better 60ft you would have. If you are running 26" slicks, I wouldn't recommend them though. Heard from too many people that 3.73's and 26" tires don't work to well.

Justin
i'm running the 28'' hossiers . my best 60ft sunday was a 1.64 , with a stock t/c i was just wondering if i was loosing much to the guys running 373s or bigger .

thanks justin

ken

J.D. Blackwell
10-27-2003, 02:59 PM
i'm running the 28'' hossiers . my best 60ft sunday was a 1.64 , with a stock t/c i was just wondering if i was loosing much to the guys running 373s or bigger .

thanks justin

ken

1.64 60ft. on stock converter and 3.55's!!!!!!!!!:bows That is bad ass man. What in the Sam Hill are using as a traction device?

My rule of thumb, if it ain't broke don't fix it and those numbers are hard to beat even with a higher stall in it. I wouldn't waste any money on buying and swapping gears.

cpeapea
10-27-2003, 04:01 PM
shoot, i say go for it. couldnt hurt!

02BOLT
10-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Ken,
IMHO, 3.73's are a good all around gear. Probably the most noticeable difference for you is going to be out of the whole. A lower gear simply multiplies the torque the engine is making quicker. The difference may not be huge, but there is probably some ET to be found there (especially on the gas).
As far as throughout the rest of the rpm band. You could probably expect a little better throttle response, and the motor is going to pull through the rpm band a little faster. For example: you'll go through the traps at a little higher rpm(usually 300 or so in the 1/4). You may have to play with or re-learn your launch techniques, but I believe it would be worth your while. Just my .02.:beer:

Later,
Rob:burnout:

Sixpipes
10-27-2003, 10:48 PM
has any body else converted thiers , and what gains did you get ?

kenI had 3:73 gears installed the first year I had the truck. I think it is the perfect 1/4 mile gear with the ET Street 26X11.5X16 (Hoosier makes a similar size). The real difference I noticed was a smaller gap between the 2nd and 3rd shift. If you are looking for a significant change in ET, I think you will be disappointed for the dollars spent. :cool:

ken cryder
10-28-2003, 12:04 AM
Ken,
IMHO, 3.73's are a good all around gear. Probably the most noticeable difference for you is going to be out of the whole. A lower gear simply multiplies the torque the engine is making quicker. The difference may not be huge, but there is probably some ET to be found there (especially on the gas).
As far as throughout the rest of the rpm band. You could probably expect a little better throttle response, and the motor is going to pull through the rpm band a little faster. For example: you'll go through the traps at a little higher rpm(usually 300 or so in the 1/4). You may have to play with or re-learn your launch techniques, but I believe it would be worth your while. Just my .02.:beer:

Later,

thats what i was thinking but didn't know how if will effect performance on the top end , that's where i seem to be falling off . how will this effect the computer ?

1.64 60ft. on stock converter and 3.55's!!!!!!!!!:bows That is bad ass man. What in the Sam Hill are using as a traction device?

My rule of thumb, if it ain't broke don't fix it and those numbers are hard to beat even with a higher stall in it. I wouldn't waste any money on buying and swapping gears.poor mans traction bars . i built them myself . thanks

i think i'm going to have to go in to the rear end anyway , because it started dead legging some lately . so that means the clutches are wearing out in the carrier , i believe . correct me if i'm wrong but this is a dana 60 in our trucks isn't it . next time i grinade a stall converter i will go with the anti balloning one .

thanks ken

ps rob all i do is nail it from a dead idle in drive with the o.d. still on . that's my launch

J.D. Blackwell
10-28-2003, 12:15 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but this is a dana 60 in our trucks isn't it

No, it is a Ford 9.75 rear end. It is actually bigger then a Dana 60.

We have a bigger ring gear and more splines on our axles, 34 spline axles to be exact.

ken cryder
10-28-2003, 01:50 PM
No, it is a Ford 9.75 rear end. It is actually bigger then a Dana 60.

We have a bigger ring gear and more splines on our axles, 34 spline axles to be exact.
who sells these (gear sets ) and clutch rebuild kit for the carrier .

thanks for the help

ken

J.D. Blackwell
10-28-2003, 02:49 PM
who sells these (gear sets ) and clutch rebuild kit for the carrier .

thanks for the help

ken

I would check the classifieds on f150online.com and nloc.net for a goos set of gears. That will be the cheapest place to find them. You can find the differential in either summit racing or jegs. They are about $500 for a new one.

microsuck
10-28-2003, 11:23 PM

.the most ghetto traction devices known to man. the ken metal rod stick welded to the frame that busts off on the launch cryder special:D . sorry ken I couldent resist. those are worse then mine....

microsuck
10-28-2003, 11:26 PM
as for gears, I have heard it is really hard to put in gears without them making noise. they have to fit just right.

ken cryder
10-29-2003, 12:16 AM
the most ghetto traction devices known to man. the ken metal rod stick welded to the frame that busts off on the launch cryder special:D . sorry ken I couldent resist. those are worse then mine....
now andrew when was the last time you out ran me ? and that was the first try on the traction bars . also the weld broke on one and the other ripped smooth out of the frame . for the guys that don't know these are set up with 3/4 chromoly hiem joints . ghetto traction device . you wait andrew

ken

ken cryder
10-29-2003, 12:18 AM
as for gears, I have heard it is really hard to put in gears without them making noise. they have to fit just right.

from what i have been reading eaton say they have solved the noise problem with kevalar clutches in their carrier . decisions decisions.

ken