PDA

View Full Version : Dynoed the Long Tubes today

02BOLT
10-13-2003, 10:51 PM
Well, I've been jonesing for a set of Long Tube headers for my L for a while now, and while at FFW, JDM had a set laying out on the table and I just could not help myself;) . With the addition of the KB, I was looking for a way to lower cylinder pressure, and thus make life a little easier on the stock internals.
Well, Terry completed another meticulous install on Friday, and initial a$$ dyno results felt really good, and those LT's make that S/C 5.4 sound FRICKEN WICKED! So I decided to take 'er to the real dyno today to get some hard data.
To make a long story short, she picked up 15rwhp across the ENTIRE rpm band, and at peak (472rwhp-before....487rwhp-after), @15psig. Picked up 25rwtq across ENTIRE band and at peak (560rwtq-before....585rwtq-after), @ said boost levels. There seems to be some discrepency throughout the L community, as to whether or not Long Tubes are a worthy investment. Well, on my particular application, they work well, and the sound alone is arguably worth it.:tu: Hoping this will put 'er in the coveted 11 second zone. We'll soon see.

Later,
Rob

L8 APEX
10-13-2003, 11:18 PM
They do indeed make a differnece. Thanks for the biz Rob your install is one of our best yet:tu: . You sir have grande huevos 487rwhp:eek2: Something like these I bet.
http://www.bowlersparadise.com/shop/balls/brunswick/images/raging_inferno_lg.jpg
http://www.bowlersparadise.com/shop/balls/columbia300/images/throttle_r_lg.jpg

Logan
10-14-2003, 07:21 AM
Kook's makes a wicked tube. Terry put a set on my Marauder and it's making 49 extra rwhp at 6000rpm and 35ft/lbs at 5200rpm...

Pretty damned amazing. Best mod I've ever done short of a supercharger...

Plus it sounds great too. :burnout:

Sixpipes
10-14-2003, 08:11 AM
OK, so there is Terry, Rob, Wayne, and then the rest of us. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/slap.gif

Sixpipes
10-14-2003, 08:16 AM
....................and Terry, and Francis, and JD and the rest of us. That's what I meant to say. Yeah, Terry, Rob, Wayne, Terry, Francis, JD, and the rest of us..................and Tim.

OK, so it's Terry, Rob, Wayne, Terry, Francis, JD, and Tim.......................and the rest of us. And that's all...................http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/eyebrow.gif

J.D. Blackwell
10-14-2003, 08:40 AM
....................and Terry, and Francis, and JD and the rest of us. That's what I meant to say. Yeah, Terry, Rob, Wayne, Terry, Francis, JD, and the rest of us..................and Tim.

OK, so it's Terry, Rob, Wayne, Terry, Francis, JD, and Tim.......................and the rest of us. And that's all...................http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/eyebrow.gif

And Doug and Tony too.:throw:

Sixpipes
10-14-2003, 09:57 AM
And Doug and Tony too.:throw:
Yeah, and Tony............... Let's see, that would be Terry, Rob, Wayne, Terry, Francis, JD, Tim, and Tony.......................and the rest of us. And that's all...................http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/eyebrow.gif

(Qualification is, built motor, or KB, or Nitrous.............. ) :cool:

03'svtlight
10-14-2003, 03:39 PM
is that w/or without different torque converter??? :d

blueoval01
10-14-2003, 04:34 PM
So, for the rest of us, LT's don't do squat unless we have a built motor, KB, or Nitrous .. ??
Just asking the question ......:o

cpeapea
10-14-2003, 06:49 PM
i have an unbuilt motor, and the long tubes rewl! they help a lot when you running more than stock boost

StormShadow
10-14-2003, 09:12 PM
i have an unbuilt motor, and the long tubes rewl! they help a lot when you running more than stock boost
Hmm.. my next step Terry?:cool:

02BOLT
10-14-2003, 09:29 PM
is that w/or without different torque converter??? :d
I have a 2400rpm Art Carr converter, which from what I understand costs anywhere from 10 to 15 RWHP.
IMHO, the more modifications you have, the more Long Tubes are going to help. They help the motor to run more efficiently, and thus make life a little easier on the internals.
People tend to get caught up in "peak" numbers, cause they sound cool, but it's power UNDER the curve that moves your a$$ down the track....or street. I'll take 15hp under the curve over 25 only at peak any day. If you're running a 4lb or 6lb lower, then I believe LT's are going to benefit you. Does the cost justify the gains?....that's for each person to decide within their means. To me, the sound alone is worth it:tu:! Just my .02:beer: .

L8 APEX
10-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Hmm.. my next step Terry?:cool: Sure why not:banana:

StormShadow
10-14-2003, 09:55 PM
Sure why not:banana: x pipe?

L8 APEX
10-14-2003, 10:06 PM
x pipe? We'll use a dual in/out muffler for the X-pipe. Your current system would be insane with long tubes.:eek2:

ken cryder
10-17-2003, 06:35 AM
rob are you saying the 2400 t/c is hurting you ? now you have me by 7 hp , but i still have you on torque . it's just the stock t/c keeps blowing apart , and i need to do some thing about the 3.55 gears i have . when are you going to be at 7.00 . not long the way your going . congrats .

ken

02BOLT
10-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Ken,

I'm not saying the converter is hurting me, what I'm saying is that on a dyno, due to the stall converter's nature of slipping, it causes a slight loss of peak power. However, it more than makes up for that at the track, by enabling the truck to launch harder. Thus improving her 60' times. I may be making less torque than you, but she still cut a 1.622 60', which ain't no punk:d . Goodluck at Kennedale on Sunday!:beer:

Later,
Rob

ken cryder
10-17-2003, 09:46 AM
rob i'm cutting 1.66 , but not getting a 7.40 WOW . :bows

ken

Sixpipes
10-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Yeah, and Tony............... Let's see, that would be Terry, Rob, Wayne, Terry, Francis, JD, Tim, and Tony.......................and the rest of us. And that's all...................http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/eyebrow.gif

(Qualification is, built motor, or KB, or Nitrous.............. ) :cool:
.............and Ken. :cool:

cpeapea
10-17-2003, 06:21 PM
hmm well anything i think slightly over 50mph the t/c is in lockup mode. on a dyno you start at 70mph (i think) so technically it shouldnt cost you anything. or am i wrong?

02BOLT
10-17-2003, 10:54 PM
hmm well anything i think slightly over 50mph the t/c is in lockup mode. on a dyno you start at 70mph (i think) so technically it shouldnt cost you anything. or am i wrong?
I got that info from Kyle Kent, who runs House of Speed, and another close friend of mine(Paul Wong), that works for another big tuner in Houston. They both do a lot of work for the HALO guys down there. I know Kyle and Paul from their days at A&M. At any rate, they both told me that EVERY time they install a converter, they ALWAYS lose anywhere from 10-15rwhp, due to the slippage. Even when the converter "locks" up, there is still some degree of slippage. I just look at it as a trade-off. Better 60'=Better ET. Just my .02.

Later, Rob

ken cryder
10-17-2003, 10:57 PM
learn some thing new everyday .

thanks rob

ken