PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone providers

L8 APEX
10-09-2003, 09:28 AM
I am in the market for a new cell phone. I use about 2400 minutes a month:hammer: . What do you guys have the best service or value with? I need the nation wide calling.
Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, Cingular, NexTel, T Mobile...

my2002lightning
10-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Terry,

Laney and I have 2 of the Samsung N400s through Sprint with 2,500 shared minutes with nationwide coverage.

We've been all over IL, OH and all the way down here (and to Topeka) and seldom ever have a problem with coverage.

The monthly bill usually runs $150~ for both phones and we're happy with the deal overall.

Ronald

andy_cain
10-09-2003, 11:02 AM
I have Verizon (makes since as they are my customer) and have nationwide no roaming 2500 minutes a month for $150.00
Service is pretty good, I don't think any service provider is going to have clear signals everywhere.
Verizon has an "Americas choice" plan that covers the majority of the U.S. and is something like $100.00 for 1500 minutes ... only problem is "IF" you hit a non covered area it runs .29 cents per minute to roam :hammer:

L8 APEX
10-09-2003, 11:10 AM
It looks like I am going to get use to a $150 a month cell bill plus fed and local taxes and all that crap:hammer: . I may try Sprint they have 2000 minutes for $100 bucks. I called and got my average use for the last three months and it is 1700 daytime, 300 off peak.

Red99Lightning
10-09-2003, 11:20 AM
It looks like I am going to get use to a $150 a month cell bill plus fed and local taxes and all that crap:hammer: . I may try Sprint they have 2000 minutes for $100 bucks. I called and got my average use for the last three months and it is 1700 daytime, 300 off peak.
I believe T-mobile has a 3000 antime anywhere plan that's like $59.99 a month then all your taxes and stuff...Still makes it under a 100 bucks....you might want to check that one out!:tu:

blueoval01
10-09-2003, 12:00 PM
TC, I got a Nokia model 6160 I'll give ya if you don't wanna buy your own.

Just need your provider to program it. However, It's not digital.

Lyfisin
10-09-2003, 12:42 PM
I work for Verizon Wireless so I'm of course going to say, "Go with us!"

That being said, on November 24th, the legislation to enact LNP (Local Number Portability) is supposed to be in effect. This means that you will be able to change wireless carriers and keep your existing cellular number (although probably not the phone).

You probably won't find that we are the least expensive. I'm sure you'll find that we have the best network.

While there are several quality carriers, I'd recommend looking at their coverage maps and comparing them to the places you think you might be going. Like Wayne indicates, you can pay a lot of roaming charges if you leave your home network.

If you're in a position to do it, I'd recommend waiting two months. You can't pick a better time than Christmas time to shop for new cellular plans.

Brook

tliss
10-09-2003, 01:07 PM
I work for Verizon Wireless so I'm of course going to say, "Go with us!"

That being said, on November 24th, the legislation to enact LNP (Local Number Portability) is supposed to be in effect. This means that you will be able to change wireless carriers and keep your existing cellular number (although probably not the phone).

You probably won't find that we are the least expensive. I'm sure you'll find that we have the best network.

While there are several quality carriers, I'd recommend looking at their coverage maps and comparing them to the places you think you might be going. Like Wayne indicates, you can pay a lot of roaming charges if you leave your home network.

If you're in a position to do it, I'd recommend waiting two months. You can't pick a better time than Christmas time to shop for new cellular plans.

Brook
:d

Heeheehee

blueoval01
10-09-2003, 01:41 PM
:rll:

We now know what WebSites Tom Frequents ......
:D

Lyfisin
10-09-2003, 01:44 PM
I don't.

I've looked at that picture a few times now and I can't make out what it is. Looks like an X-ray of some sort.

Brook < - - resident noob.

tliss
10-09-2003, 02:02 PM
I don't.

I've looked at that picture a few times now and I can't make out what it is. Looks like an X-ray of some sort.

Brook < - - resident noob.
It's an x-ray of a person's midsection revealing a cell phone stuffed up his/her a$$.

That guy on the Verizon commercials really ticks me off.

Tom

Crawford
10-09-2003, 02:19 PM
I have AT&T Wireless and I have always LOVED their service... Until I switched from Digital to the new GMRS network. Now I get very spotty coverage, frequent dropped calls, etc. I have noticed in the past few days that my phone will pick a weak tower over a stronger one at my house. I get two bars on the phone and as soon as I make a call I loose all bars and its impossible to have a conversation. If I reboot the phone a few times it will get the good tower which is a steady 4/5 bars. Ranting asside... Stay away from AT&T's GMRS service. Their old digital service is awesome however.

L8 APEX
10-09-2003, 02:19 PM
I would be out of business if I waited two months:hammer: . I bought Sprint PCS it was the best value 2000 minutes for 100 bucks, plus you can switch plans whenever, free phone etc.. Thanks guys, once I get through this transition I will feel better:vomit:

Lyfisin
10-09-2003, 02:29 PM
That guy on the Verizon commercials really ticks me off.

:(

Brook

MadMax
10-13-2003, 12:19 AM
I have AT&T Wireless and I have always LOVED their service... Until I switched from Digital to the new GMRS network. Now I get very spotty coverage, frequent dropped calls, etc. I have noticed in the past few days that my phone will pick a weak tower over a stronger one at my house. I get two bars on the phone and as soon as I make a call I loose all bars and its impossible to have a conversation. If I reboot the phone a few times it will get the good tower which is a steady 4/5 bars. Ranting asside... Stay away from AT&T's GMRS service. Their old digital service is awesome however.TDMA towers are turning down power and switching over to GSM. Drive testers are working nights determining signal strength in cellular coverage areas. For 49.95 Cingular has 900 rollover minutes, 5000 night and weekend minutes with free long distance plus you can add extra lines (phones) for only 9.99 each with 5000 night and weekend minutes. For another 4.99 you get 500 mobile to mobile minutes. :D