PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust leak help!

PoorSvtman
10-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Alright i have a exhaust leak coming from somewhere. At first i thought it was the dreaded spark plug blowing out of the head. Check & changed the plugs and rechecked them and all is good in that department. Truck runs great.

First leak i found was that the side of one of my bassani mufflers had cracked, Got it welded but had some stress crack where the pipe comes out of the Muffler itself. Nothing serious but my muffler guy didnt want to Weld them since it was to close to the clamp/connector deal. So i jb welded them till after the winter and ill order something else. But thats fine for now.

The Tick itslef is on the drivers side and is more noticable when in Reverse or any Forward gear. Sitting still and when in any drive gear ( forward or reverse). Driving it is louder of course. Since the weather is getting cooler it seems to be louder, but after a good drive it quiets down a tad.

Anyone got any ideas or wanna help me figure it out. Its starting to get anoying. If any local guys have an idea and need to hear it i can meet anyone after 630 on week days.

My mods are Bassani shorty headers, Mid pipe with hi flow cats, x-pipe with mufflers and tips, Stock air box mod.

Silver_2000
10-05-2003, 10:21 PM
If you can get it on a lift and power wash the **** out of the exhaust then drive it and put it back oin the lift and look for the soot marks...

PoorSvtman
10-05-2003, 10:35 PM
The Exhaust is already clean and soot free. Theres some slight areas where the piping goes into each other but the clamps are tight and shouldnt create a tick as loud as im getting..

I have heard it could be my header gaskets. But from what i can see there is no visable leaks/soot. I dunno. If i get time at work ill will put the L on a lift.

Silver_2000
10-05-2003, 10:39 PM
The Exhaust is already clean and soot free. Theres some slight areas where the piping goes into each other but the clamps are tight and shouldnt create a tick as loud as im getting..

I have heard it could be my header gaskets. But from what i can see there is no visable leaks/soot. I dunno. If i get time at work ill will put the L on a lift.
Typically an leak will be visible by a soot smear....

PoorSvtman
10-05-2003, 10:52 PM
Yea i know that. Could a bad cat give out a nice tick?

Also since i mainly drive highways (to work and dallas/carrolton area on weekends) When im at any speed and stay at that speed the tick is almost gone, But if i give it some gas it comes back..

By the way thanks for the help so far. :beer: Im still new to the L world.

my2002lightning
10-05-2003, 11:06 PM
Just going on what I've read on L boards (no experience on L headers, etc.), you might check your header bolts.

I've read that some header bolts can BACK their way out if not properly torqued down.

Also, make sure all your welds (I know you're bolted) are good/tight as Doug may have suggested with soot smears.

Something to check.

PoorSvtman
10-05-2003, 11:09 PM
J
Also, make sure all your welds (I know you're bolted) are good/tight as Doug may have suggested with soot smears.

Something to check.

I plan on after the winter season to get new mufflers Either another set of bassani or something else, and get everything welded up. But from the soot marks that are on the piping where they connect theres very little soot.

PoorSvtman
10-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Got a new problem now :( . I just went out to go to lunch and went to start the L and it started and then died. Did it a few times. But if i hold the idle up and keep moving its fine. Runs fine other than when i come to a stop it will die if i let off the gas.

Can a leak in the Line for the boost gauge cause this?

99WhiteBeast
10-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Got a new problem now :( . I just went out to go to lunch and went to start the L and it started and then died. Did it a few times. But if i hold the idle up and keep moving its fine. Runs fine other than when i come to a stop it will die if i let off the gas.

Can a leak in the Line for the boost gauge cause this?
I had a similar problem and corrected it by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and it cleared it up. Basically a soft reset on the PCM.

PoorSvtman
10-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Good deal. Im gonna go out and try it in a few. Running low on work so i can mess with it.

Got any ideas on my exhaust leak/Tick

PoorSvtman
10-06-2003, 07:57 PM
I had a similar problem and corrected it by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and it cleared it up. Basically a soft reset on the PCM.

That did the trick :nana2 . Thanks :beer: I owe you one :tu: