PDA

View Full Version : need a key made-any leads

99WhiteBeast
10-01-2003, 02:13 PM
I have a buddy that just bought a used 99 and it only has one key. He needs a second made.

Most locksmiths charge 72 to 74 bucks for the key and programming.

If anyone has any leads for a cheaper alternative let me know.

my2002lightning
10-01-2003, 02:33 PM
I have a buddy that just bought a used 99 and it only has one key. He needs a second made.

Most locksmiths charge 72 to 74 bucks for the key and programming.

If anyone has any leads for a cheaper alternative let me know.

Steve,

I can't answer your question, but personally, I would feel somewhat "uneasy" knowing that one of my L keys is "floating" around somewhere out there.

A thought might be changing the ignition/doorlocks for peace-of-mind.

Ronald

L8 APEX
10-01-2003, 02:45 PM
I think Doug has the power to program keys.

SILVER2000SVT
10-01-2003, 03:44 PM
I can't answer your question, but personally, I would feel somewhat "uneasy" knowing that one of my L keys is "floating" around somewhere out there.

A thought might be changing the ignition/doorlocks for peace-of-mind.
I had the same issue when I got mine a couple of years ago. I ended up paying the $70 just because I was in a hurry. The way the service guy explained it to me is that if you only have one key you have to reflash the computer with a scan tool which voids out all existing keys then add the two keys (new one and old one) back in. In doing this the computer forces you to wait a certain amount of time, like 10 or 20 min then will let you program the keys. If you already have two keys programmed all you have to do to add a third is turn the ignition on with both of them within a few secs then put the new one in and turn the ignition on and it learns it. This is my understanding of how it works. That still doesn't solve the problem of the door locks though, but at least they can't just drive off in it.

Jason

Silver_2000
10-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Go to the dealer and get the key copied... I can program it with the NGS

Doug

99WhiteBeast
10-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks Doug:tu:
-can you program it tomorrow night at the meet?