PDA

View Full Version : New Brake Pads

Badcarma
09-30-2003, 04:07 AM
Just installed new brake pads on all fours. I got Carbon Metallic pads. Anybody else using them? They are just below ceramic as far as dusting and quality. I will be pulling a Harley trailer and three bike to Biketober fest, and figured I'd stick to some sort on metallic pad, just because of the weight/stop factor.

Thinking about pulling off the twin blower pulleys, and grease them up. I don't know if they are sqeaking or the belt is. Does anybody have the torque specs on them?

Will be pulling plugs today also. I'll do them last, because I allways get a little :flaming: when I do them.

Thanks! Scott

L8 APEX
09-30-2003, 07:33 AM
If you are talking about the idlers they look like sealed bearings.

Badcarma
09-30-2003, 07:46 AM
If you are talking abotu the idlers they are sealed bearings.

That sucks.....I thought I read somewhere those suckers could be lubed up!! I hate all that pulley and belt noise up front. Think the belt is most of the problem? Thanks for chiming Terry.

Scott

Mark #2
09-30-2003, 09:03 AM
That sucks.....I thought I read somewhere those suckers could be lubed up!! I hate all that pulley and belt noise up front. Think the belt is most of the problem? Thanks for chiming Terry.

Scott

Actually, they are not "sealed" bearings, as I have pulled them off and re-lubed them. The backside seal pops out and you can clean and re-lube them.
Mark

Badcarma
09-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Actually, they are not "sealed" bearings, as I have pulled them off and re-lubed them. The backside seal pops out and you can clean and re-lube them.
MarkThanks Mark! I thought there was a dust cover on the back.

Scott.

L8 APEX
09-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Cool, I'll remember that:tu:

Boosted32v
09-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Just installed new brake pads on all fours. I got Carbon Metallic pads.

So where did you get these pads for your 'L at Autozone? How much were they too...'H'

cpeapea
09-30-2003, 06:27 PM
i went with ceramic napa pads. about 100 bucks for the fronts.

Badcarma
09-30-2003, 09:02 PM
So where did you get these pads for your 'L at Autozone? How much were they too...'H'

I did get them at autozone. They were $120.00 for all four. The ceramics ARE high also, about $200.00 for the set. These have lifetime warranty for cracks ect. and if you just don't like em. Pretty tough/durable looking pads. PEP boys had the SAME brand of both types of pads and were $40 to $50 bucks more:eek:.

Scott.

SILVER2000SVT
10-01-2003, 10:34 AM
For those of you who have the NAPA ceramic pads, how do you like them. I have a set of these for the front and rear at the house that someone gave me but was afraid of how they would perform. I know they don't produce as much dust and it's clear the dust it does produce, but I've heard about other ceramics that tend to be loud and squeak a lot and they don't perform as good as other compounds. Any opinions?

Jason

Mark #2
10-01-2003, 10:59 AM
For those of you who have the NAPA ceramic pads, how do you like them. I have a set of these for the front and rear at the house that someone gave me but was afraid of how they would perform. I know they don't produce as much dust and it's clear the dust it does produce, but I've heard about other ceramics that tend to be loud and squeak a lot and they don't perform as good as other compounds. Any opinions?

Jason

They are okay for mild daily driving. They are pretty hard on rotors, no squeaks, while I had them in.
Mark

SILVER2000SVT
10-01-2003, 11:53 AM
They are okay for mild daily driving. They are pretty hard on rotors, no squeaks, while I had them in.
Mark

That's kinda what I was thinking. So, how do they compare to the stock pads as far as performance.

BTW, I have about 1/8" of pad left with 35K miles on the stock pads, is that pretty typical with everybody else? Because that's the longest I've ever had a set of brake pads last on any vehicle I've ever owned.

Jason

Mark #2
10-01-2003, 01:09 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking. So, how do they compare to the stock pads as far as performance.

BTW, I have about 1/8" of pad left with 35K miles on the stock pads, is that pretty typical with everybody else? Because that's the longest I've ever had a set of brake pads last on any vehicle I've ever owned.

Jason

A little worse than stock for 1st stop and fade quicker. You are extremely easy on pads by your above statement. Stocks were gone on mine at 10K. Ceramics would probably suit you well.

Mark

cpeapea
10-01-2003, 06:09 PM
i like them, i havent really noticed any loss in stopping power

L8 APEX
10-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Here are pics of my pads and rotors at 8K miles. Ford warrantied the rotors:D
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/209-608-5196.jpg
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/209-608-5198.jpg

cpeapea
10-01-2003, 08:57 PM
holy ****!

L8 APEX
10-01-2003, 09:05 PM
I think I got defective parts because they would catch fire on occassion when stopping from 140:confused:. I found a solution to my problem though:bows
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/209-608-9854.jpg
Almost 20K Terry miles and no problems:tu: