PDA

View Full Version : help with mech eng project

microsuck
09-29-2003, 08:30 PM
hey guys,
This is WAY off topic but I was wondering if any one knows if you were to take a drill and spin the tip fast would it generate electricity out of the plug. I am building a hydro-electric power generator and am trying to avoid starting from scratch. if you were to take a water pump and put power to it it would spin and pump water. Well, so you should be able to take a waterpump and push water through it and it will make electricity. Right?
Andrew:bows

Sixpipes
09-29-2003, 09:11 PM
It takes power to turn the waterpump so you really haven't gained anything. Hydroelectric power is generated by the gravitational force pushing water across power-generating turbines. So power is really generated from harnessing the energy from nature (see also solar panels, wind generators, etc...) I forgot what the question was. :(

True Blue Aggie
09-29-2003, 11:19 PM
I would think that you could build it just like you would ru na plant based off of river flow. The only possible problem is developing a rotor that would spin fast enough to cause at least a spark.
Where is Mark#2 when you need him?

microsuck
09-29-2003, 11:46 PM
I dont have to pay for water in my apt but I do for electricity. I was planning on using it to make power for a few appliances

L8 APEX
09-30-2003, 12:28 AM
Using an electric motor would be futile at best. You need to start with a generator wound for this purpose.

SILVER2000SVT
09-30-2003, 08:59 AM
a simple cheaper solution would be to get an alternator. That will likely be much cheaper than finding a generator. The other thing too is that most alternators have regulators so you aren't forced to maintain a specific rpm as with most generators. You will just have to use 12v dc instead of ac voltage. Then you have to figure out some way to turn the flowing water into rotating power. Some sort of turbine or maybe a positive displacement pump could work for this, I'm thinking a standard centrifugal pump would be too inefficient and wouldn't work too well. I think the whole thing will be a problem because you won't really be able to get much power from the flowing water of a residence to drive something as big as an alternator. Something you could try on a small scale is get one of those small dc motors, like in a toy and drive it and see if it will light up a flashlight bulb.

BTW this has got to be illegal for some reason. If not just extremely enviromentally unethical if you actually want to use this to make power.

Jason

True Blue Aggie
09-30-2003, 10:53 AM
It's probably illegal, but I would love to see it work. F the system, use all the water you want...

Silver_2000
09-30-2003, 11:20 AM
I have to agree with SILVER2000SVT

While its an interesting challenge, to be intentionally wasting that much drinking quality water in an effort to avoid paying Exlectric bills is irresponsible. Not to mention you will never generate enough power to make a dent ...

You know that the desert offically starts west of 35

Doug

If I didnt think you would try it I would tell you the easy way to set up a 12v generation system .... Think about waterbeds and junkyards

Mark #2
10-01-2003, 01:13 PM
I would think that you could build it just like you would ru na plant based off of river flow. The only possible problem is developing a rotor that would spin fast enough to cause at least a spark.
Where is Mark#2 when you need him?

I'm here just not responding, waste of time, and drinking water.

It would be better and cheaper to purchase a used Honda generator and sit it out on your balcony.
Mark

L8 APEX
10-01-2003, 02:48 PM
An alternator requires an exciting voltage input to make voltage. The generator makes voltage without this input.

Badcarma
10-01-2003, 11:08 PM
I'm here just not responding, waste of time, and drinking water.

It would be better and cheaper to purchase a used Honda generator and sit it out on your balcony.
Mark

:D :rll: Sorry I couldn't help it!

microsuck
10-02-2003, 01:37 AM
im just pissed cause my apt company charges me out the butt for rent and I kind of want to get back at them (wasting their water) but still benifit form it at the same time. thanks for all ther good info. I am actually going to build one out of an old turbo. my other option (which still stands) dosent involve any water. its just to tap into one of the free power dist blocks on the wall outside the apt and run a line to a few power strips in my apt.
Andrew

dboat
10-02-2003, 05:52 AM
im just pissed cause my apt company charges me out the butt for rent and I kind of want to get back at them (wasting their water) but still benifit form it at the same time.

Not to state the obvious, but you did sign the lease.. you knew what the rent was, so why are you pissed?

thanks for all ther good info. I am actually going to build one out of an old turbo. my other option (which still stands) dosent involve any water. its just to tap into one of the free power dist blocks on the wall outside the apt and run a line to a few power strips in my apt.
Andrew

Andrew, thats a good way to get on the wrong side of the utility company that can take all kinds of action against you if they find out. I believe they call it theft. My best guess is that it wouldnt be pretty. You would be better off doing the Honda generator thing then..

Maybe you need to move to a cheaper apt. Thats always an option.

Andrew, not trying to flame you but really think about your actions and the consequences they can have on your future... please..
Dana

Silver_2000
10-02-2003, 09:01 AM
Honda Generator is about $600 used

Gas for it $1.30 a gallon. I bet TUElectric is still cheaper

Doug

Mark #2
10-02-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda Generator is about $600 used

Gas for it $1.30 a gallon. I bet TUElectric is still cheaper

Doug
Doug, agree.

Honda
Gas $1.30
Run time 1
Watts 2000
$/kwhour 0.65

Tuelectric
$/kw-hour 0.08

microsuck
10-02-2003, 11:02 AM
TXU elec .08
generator .65
hooking up to a power line outside your apt and getting free power for life(or until you get caught and fined) and almost frying yourself on the high voltage while trying to splice into the wire........... priceless

99WhiteBeast
10-02-2003, 02:10 PM
and almost frying yourself on the high voltage while trying to splice into the wire........... priceless

Just make sure you get pictures when you do that so we can all
:rll:

http://www.talonclub.com/4images/details.php?image_id=470