PDA

View Full Version : I need help fast, please !

my2002lightning
09-17-2003, 12:56 PM
On the way back from lunch going to work today, my L starts stumbling/missing bad! I'm COMPLETELY stock except for my airfilter and Terry's exhaust.

It ran fine on the way to work this morning (live ~1 mile from work) after filling up at the local Shell on 93 last night as usual. All gauges looked fine and no Check-Engine light.

Could it be bad plug/coil pack or bad-gas or what? Any ideas?

Laney called the Bankston Svc Mgr now and he said it sounds like bad gas and I could get octane boost or something and run it out or they could pump it out.

Thanks for any suggestions!:(

Ronald

True Blue Aggie
09-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Could it be the MAF Sensor? I know that I was driving home one night when the same problems occured. I pull over and find that the aftermarket filter and sensor had come off of the intake tube. A quick fix, and I was back on the road.

dboat
09-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Sounds like someone that doesnt know how to drive an L...

I say shoot the owner, put him out of his misery and donate the L to me. :evil

Go buy some gas treatment/octane booster and see what happens..How long has your gas been in the gas tank? you cant let it sit for long periods of time, it will lose its octane value, next time put some fuel stabilizer in it if you are going to take weeks to go through a tank of gas..

Dana

my2002lightning
09-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Sounds like someone that doesnt know how to drive an L...

I say shoot the owner, put him out of his misery and donate the L to me. :evil

Go buy some gas treatment/octane booster and see what happens..How long has your gas been in the gas tank? you cant let it sit for long periods of time, it will lose its octane value, next time put some fuel stabilizer in it if you are going to take weeks to go through a tank of gas..

DanaDana,

Can't say I agree with any of your initial suggestions...:hammer::D

I drive the truck daily, so I don't think that's the issue.

I filled up completely on 93 octane last night and drove it home (1-2 miles away). The drive to work and back for lunch today was normal as always ( I can almost SEE work from where I live - it's that close).

It's just the drive BACK to work 2 hours ago, it started stumbling/missing/etc.

I'm wondering... bad fuel pump as another culprit?

BTW, the fuel filter was changed a month ago.

Also, I asked Laney to drive down to the Shell station off of Preston/Spring Creek in Plano (by Oasis car wash) and ask if they had a batch of bad gas yesterday. Of course they said no. Typical!:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Ronald

Sixpipes
09-17-2003, 03:26 PM
My guess is fuel filter or coil pack. :cool:

J.D. Blackwell
09-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Laney called the Bankston Svc Mgr now and he said it sounds like bad gas and I could get octane boost or something and run it out or they could pump it out.

Ronald

Well I am sorry to say but that is a mistake calling up Bankston. I will never see that $9,000 again......:(

But, I would think it would be bad gas, since you filled up the day before. How many miles are on the truck? Mileage on plugs?

my2002lightning
09-17-2003, 03:43 PM
My guess is fuel filter or coil pack. :cool:

Dennis,

The FF was changed about a month ago. I'll check that after work as well.

Anything in particular I should look for if it's a bad coil pack?

Justin,

I have just over 10K mile on the L. They're stock plugs, etc. Never changed.

I drove not 3-4 miles on this tank of "suspect" 93 octane before all this started. Ran great on all the other tanks of Shell/Mobil 93 before.

Laney just got back from the Shell station I filled up at and they said they didn't know of any bad 93 yesterday. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input guys!

I posted on f150online/L board about this and one poster suggested getting a locking gas-cap. I'm certainly HOPING "foul-play" isn't involved! :(

Ronald

98Cobra
09-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Laney just got back from the Shell station I filled up at and they said they didn't know of any bad 93 yesterday. :rolleyes:
Ronald

What, surprised they didn't jump at the chance to become legally liable for damage...? No offense, but I would never really expect a gas station to admit to anyone that they sold/sell bad gas.

blueoval01
09-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Hummm,
10000 miles? I'd say fuel filter.

my2002lightning
09-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Hummm,
10000 miles? I'd say fuel filter.

But, Mark#2 changed the FF about a month ago and it's ran fine since.:confused:

Sixpipes
09-17-2003, 04:27 PM
But, Mark#2 changed the FF about a month ago and it's ran fine since.:confused:
I have been in a similar situation and the fuel filter will plug almost immediately if you hit a rag layer in the tank. This might even happen immediately after a tanker unloads into an underground tank. There is water at the bottom of most gas tanks. Between the water and the gas layer is a zone which catches all debris lighter than water and heavier than gasoline (rag layer). I have participated in a number of gas tank cleaning projects and you would be amazed at how cruddy the stuff floating on the water actually can be. Change the fuel filter first (because it's cheap) before you do anything else. :cool:

my2002lightning
09-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Garett and I've been talking and we're theorizing that for the ~3-5 miles that I drove since filling up last night...was enough for me to run ok until today when it started goofing up and the bad gas starting hitting the engine.

As in, enough gas in the lines/pumps/etc. for it to run the 2-4 miles until it started all this.

This is sounding plausible.... Ideas?

Thanks.

Ronald

min150mph
09-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Sound like it could be the FF or bad gas, but if it was my truck I'd make sure none of the spark plugs were loose as I've heard them saying it sounds like a miss etc. before they launch.

dboat
09-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Well if you wont take my first suggestions, then I agree 100% with Dennis. A new filter is easy and doesnt cost much.. the gas station will NEVER own up to bad gas.. also, go get some octane booster and fuel system cleaner and drop it in there... but I would do all of that b4 going the coil pack route.. try the easy simple things first.. all of this wont cost you hardly any money, plus if you arent savvy at the fuel filter thing, just offer a 6 pack and someone will show up to help with a tool in hand..

but maybe you should reconsider my first suggestion, then all your problems would go away.. :evil:evil

99WhiteBeast
09-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Did you check under the hood?
My EGR vacuum line was pushed up against the EGR tube that goes to the exhaust and it melted in half. It is on the driver side near the boost solenoid.

The caused some of the same issues you mentioned.

microsuck
09-17-2003, 06:45 PM
My EGR vacuum line was pushed up against the EGR tube that goes to the exhaust and it melted in half. It is on the driver side near the boost solenoid.

steve is 100% right. I am almost certian thats what it is. that has happened to me 4 times, now i use zip ties.
second guess is a coil pack. Ronald, I am so close to you if youw ant to call me I will come fix it 214 679 3763
Andrew

my2002lightning
09-18-2003, 12:23 AM
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by 99WhiteBeast

The caused some of the same issues you mentioned. <HR SIZE=1>steve is 100% right. I am almost certian thats what it is. that has happened to me 4 times, now i use zip ties.
second guess is a coil pack. Ronald, I am so close to you if youw ant to call me I will come fix it 214 679 3763
Andrew
Steve/Andrew,

I've taken the Mag-Light down there and been "rooting around" behind the Power-Steering res. and all those selenoids, etc on the driver's side and nothing seems to be scorched/burned in two. :confused:

I just think last night's fill-up at the Shell on 93 octane is just TOO coincidental....:mad:

They say bad-luck comes in 3s. Laney's car is at Bankston now for a torque-converter replacement and now my L goes out! :eek2:

All before FFW and LFest ?!? :crying:

Michael,

I checked my MAF into the boot on my 12" air-filter setup and it's in place and has been since I "limped it" back to base at noon today.

I pulled it not 10 min. ago and it looked just like I put in there back in OH. back in Feb/March.

Thanks,

Ronald

microsuck
09-18-2003, 01:08 AM
if you need my autotap just let me know

my2002lightning
09-18-2003, 01:21 AM
if you need my autotap just let me know

Andrew,

What exactly would your Autotap tell us? I'm wondering.

Thanks,

Ronald

02BOLT
09-18-2003, 08:11 AM

Ron, I agree completely with Steve. If the vacuum line that connects to the top of your EGR(right side of the upper intake plenum)leans up against the EGR tube itself, it will burn a hole in the line, thus causing the motor to stumble and miss(this is a common occurrence).
I'd be really surprised if it were bad gas, or the fuel filter(since you replaced it recently). I have 21000 miles on my truck and have put gas in it at stations all over the metroplex and NEVER had an issue. I'm not saying it's not possible....I am saying that IMHO it's not likely.

Good Luck Bro! Let us know how it turns out. Don't panic! I'm sure it's something minor:).

Later,
Rob

microsuck
09-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Andrew,

What exactly would your Autotap tell us? I'm wondering.

Thanks,

Ronald

it will tell you all about misfires, any error codes. and we can monitor the inigition system. there is no way it is bad gas. you would only feel the rffects of bad gas under almost wot. at idel you can practically use 74 octane, unless you have a really funky tuned chip. I am tellin you, check the egr.
Andrew

Silver_2000
09-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Ron

You need to take a valium and try some of these suggestions.

I offered to scan the truck last night. Also suuggested that you check all the vacuum lines. Including the ones on the drivers side of the blower ( where the egr line is )

The reason people pointed to the Fuel Filter is the last thing that was changed was gas was added. Its the logical place to start with troubleshooting - NO doubt it is a long shot that the gas at that place was THAT dirty. - We are not talking about BAD in the sense of poor octane or doesnt burn well - We are suggesting that Ron got a load of dirty gas that clogged the fuel filter... Maybe...

Doug

my2002lightning
09-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Doug/Andrew,

Alright, which of you two (or both) would be available around 6-ish this evening to cruise over to Legacy/Preston and throw your Autotap/Scan tool on my truck?

I just want this issue resolved in time for FFW/LFest! :(

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Ronald

microsuck
09-18-2003, 10:53 AM
I can come by at 6:30 but I can only stay for 15 min or so. I have class at 7. I would be better after 10 or so. just call me
Andrew

my2002lightning
09-18-2003, 03:47 PM
I can come by at 6:30 but I can only stay for 15 min or so. I have class at 7. I would be better after 10 or so. just call me
Andrew
Andrew,

10pm this evening is do-able for me!

I have your cell #. I'll be the 330 area code calling.

I just want my L back...:crying:

Thanks!

Ronald

microsuck
09-18-2003, 04:03 PM
well actually I found out that I am not going to get out of there untill after 12. I have nothing to do all day friday so lets hook up then.
Andrew

my2002lightning
09-18-2003, 04:10 PM
well actually I found out that I am not going to get out of there untill after 12. I have nothing to do all day friday so lets hook up then.
Andrew

I get off work around 5pm tomorrow, so then?

Thanks,

Ronald

microsuck
09-18-2003, 04:41 PM
maybe saturday then, my freeness on friday ends at 5.

my2002lightning
09-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Friday/tomorrow at noon then? Laney can run up here and get me and we can scan it.

I SO want this issue resolved! :mad:

microsuck
09-18-2003, 04:59 PM
it dosent matter, just call me.
Andrew

02BOLT
09-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Ron,
Your L is under warranty, right. You get a rental with an SVT(you only have to pay the tax(2 or 3 bucks). Are there no decent SVT dealers up there? Most service drives open @ 7:00am 'til 9:00pm or so. Any half way decent service dept. should be able to get you in and out in less than a day. I would think a dealer would be easily able to diagnose the problem, and get you back up and running in time for FFW.
I deal with Don Davis down here in Arlington and they've always taken good care of me (even with the mods). That way you wouldn't have to wait 'til Saturday. Just a suggestion.

Later,
Rob

my2002lightning
09-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Ron,
Your L is under warranty, right. You get a rental with an SVT(you only have to pay the tax(2 or 3 bucks). Are there no decent SVT dealers up there? Most service drives open @ 7:00am 'til 9:00pm or so. Any half way decent service dept. should be able to get you in and out in less than a day. I would think a dealer would be easily able to diagnose the problem, and get you back up and running in time for FFW.
I deal with Don Davis down here in Arlington and they've always taken good care of me (even with the mods). That way you wouldn't have to wait 'til Saturday. Just a suggestion.

Later,
Rob
Rob,

Yes, I just turned over 10K miles and Bankston is just ~2 miles from here.

I'm thinking that this is probably the best approach since they have all the diag. tools, etc there, along with all the equip./parts.

I'm thinking about going in there at 7am and dealing DIRECTLY with the Svc. Mgr. and telling him that in no uncertain terms that I would like my L fixed promptly and that I'm making note of the exact mileage and that if I see ANY HINTS of hot-rodding, etc. in MY L, there will be HELL to pay! :nono: (All conveyed professionally and in a calm manner up front.)

I'm thinking about running up there randomly throughout the morning/afternoon to "inquire" as to the progress, also.

Reynold's Ford in Norman, OK. gave me the "short-end of the stick" on a repair back in college and that still torques me off.:flaming:

With the 40+ hours a week I work (worked 1/2 day Sunday with already 40+ hrs billable last week), troubleshooting/fixing the L is a litte too much with FFW and LFest coming up fast!:nana2

Wish me luck and thanks everyone for their input!

Laney will attest that I've been an emotional little-b#tch to live with recently. :crying:

Andrew,

I just left vmail on your cell mentioning all the above, basically. I really appreciate your offer to help! :burnout:

Ronald

my2002lightning
09-19-2003, 12:00 PM
The Bankston Asst. Svc. Mgr. just called me and their diag. readings look like 1-2 coils are going out and they're going to get a coupla' more and get her fixed after lunch!:D

Whew! I'm hoping that's ALL that it is. We'll see.

Ronald

99WhiteBeast
09-19-2003, 03:31 PM
Heck I can't imagine its the coil packs- that truck is damn near brand new.

I have 68k on mine with original coil packs.

I've heard those are not cheap to replace:eek:

I know Bankston is close but with all the horror stories I've heard you couldn't pay me to let them turn a wrench on my truck.

Now that you know the issue is pay for the diagnosis, pick up the coil packs from the parts counter, and I help you put them on:tu:

my2002lightning
09-19-2003, 03:52 PM
Heck I can't imagine its the coil packs- that truck is damn near brand new.

I have 68k on mine with original coil packs.

I've heard those are not cheap to replace:eek:

I know Bankston is close but with all the horror stories I've heard you couldn't pay me to let them turn a wrench on my truck.

Now that you know the issue is pay for the diagnosis, pick up the coil packs from the parts counter, and I help you put them on:tu:
Well,

Here's the story! Turns out #1 and #2 coil packs went out at the same time and have been replaced ALL for $0! :eek2:

The Asst. Svc. Mgr. says it happens sometimes. What are the odds ?!?

Anyway, the truck runs like it did prior to all this and I've gone over the truck for any indications of hot-rodding. I checked the usual "indicators". Came up clean.

Also, they put on approx. 10 miles for the test-drive. :rolleyes:

I appreciate EVERYONE'S input during this "ordeal"! :tu::D

I guess I just had a good experience with Bankston. Who woulda' thunk it? I had reservations about Bankston, but it's all good now.

I feel MUCH better now...

Ronald