PDA

View Full Version : Kennedale last night.............

Sixpipes
09-11-2003, 11:03 AM
I was disappointed to only get in four runs last night, but a bike covered one of the lanes with transmission fluid and it took almost an hour to get the track cleaned up. Anyway, I wanted to post the data from my runs not because they are that good, but just because I think looking at this kind of stuff is interesting.

I have not been to a track since FFW (May) and made some significant changes to Go_rila at the end of May. At Houston, I was running a Superchip with a Pro-M 80mm MAF and large conical air filter. I have since replaced that stuff and gone back to my Swanson chip along with a Swanson air kit and 2002 90mm MAF.The other setup worked really well, but I had some real concerns about the Pro_M calibration, specifically related to the A/F results on previous dyno runs. Most of the tuners seem to prefer tuning with the stock 90mm MAF so I decided to go that route for safety reasons. I suspect my current Swanson programs are very conservative (per my request) and intend to do some dyno testing this fall specifically paying close attention to the A/F results. Then I start tuning the truck back to optimal performance based on the mods Go_rila currently has. Cheap entertainment. :tongue:

The first two runs were with the "street" program and the second two runs were with "street/strip" program. I really didn't have enough runs to ever get comfortable with the tree, but I may try to get out to FFW/Ennis early on Friday to get a few more runs in before the event starts.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/211-300-69798.jpg

I enjoyed getting out and messing around with some of the guys. Hopefully, my job situation will change in the next month or two and I can get back to being myself. And that is not necessarily a good thing for everyone else. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/eyebrow.gif

Lyfisin
09-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Not being a racer, I have no idea what some of those numbers mean and I'm always looking to learn? Would you mind detailing what some of the numbers on the left mean and how they correspond to the numbers on the right?

Some of it is pretty obvious, but other parts I'm totally lost on. :(

Brook

L8 APEX
09-11-2003, 01:29 PM
R/T is reaction time, or how long after the light turns green you got started. 60' is the time it took you to move 60' from the start (out of the hole). 330' is another distance and the subsiquent MPH at that distance. THen you have your 1/8th mile time and MPH:tu:

Sixpipes
09-11-2003, 02:02 PM
The most common tree (starting lights) used at drag strips is the sportsman's tree. The tree consists of two staging lights, three yellow lights, a green, and the dreaded red light. The trick is to time the light so that your vehicle breaks the starting beam when the green light comes on. If you are able get a "perfect light", the reaction time will read .000. Any variance will provide a negative number (red light or foul) or positive number (too late and you will lose the race). The sportsman tree is based on a .500 or 500/1000 second reaction time. So in my case, my reaction times were actually .604, .397(red light), .557, and .466(red light).

The reaction time has nothing to do with any of the numbers under it. In other words, it times how quickly you got started, but has nothing to do with the way your vehicle performed going down the track. Reaction time does not affect elapsed time (ET).

The big boys in the NHRA use the pro tree which is based on a .400 reaction time. Staging is the same, but all three yellows come on at the same time (instead of sequenced like the sportsman tree) then green.

Terry is right about the other stuff. :cool:

jmlay
09-11-2003, 02:22 PM
"Most of the tuners seem to prefer tuning with the stock 90mm MAF"

I have been doing some tuning research and it seems that the reason for this is that there is less variation in the Ford MAF than the PRO-M, you can take one out of the box and it is almost exactly the same as the last.

The PRO-M transfer numbers are not as exact from one to another.

Just what I have read...

Mike

Mark #2
09-11-2003, 09:17 PM
I was disappointed to only get in four runs last night, but a bike covered one of the lanes with transmission fluid and it took almost an hour to get the track cleaned up. Anyway, I wanted to post the data from my runs not because they are that good, but just because I think looking at this kind of stuff is interesting.

I have not been to a track since FFW (May) and made some significant changes to Go_rila at the end of May. At Houston, I was running a Superchip with a Pro-M 80mm MAF and large conical air filter. I have since replaced that stuff and gone back to my Swanson chip along with a Swanson air kit and 2002 90mm MAF.The other setup worked really well, but I had some real concerns about the Pro_M calibration, specifically related to the A/F results on previous dyno runs. Most of the tuners seem to prefer tuning with the stock 90mm MAF so I decided to go that route for safety reasons. I suspect my current Swanson programs are very conservative (per my request) and intend to do some dyno testing this fall specifically paying close attention to the A/F results. Then I start tuning the truck back to optimal performance based on the mods Go_rila currently has. Cheap entertainment. :tongue:

The first two runs were with the "street" program and the second two runs were with "street/strip" program. I really didn't have enough runs to ever get comfortable with the tree, but I may try to get out to FFW/Ennis early on Friday to get a few more runs in before the event starts.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/211-300-69798.jpg

I enjoyed getting out and messing around with some of the guys. Hopefully, my job situation will change in the next month or two and I can get back to being myself. And that is not necessarily a good thing for everyone else. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/eyebrow.gif

6er,
Let me know about next Friday, I haven't raced in a long time and need practice, not to mention new slicks and new traction bars. Let me know when plan to go down to Ennis.
Mark

Sixpipes
09-12-2003, 08:59 AM
6er,
Let me know about next Friday, I haven't raced in a long time and need practice, not to mention new slicks and new traction bars. Let me know when plan to go down to Ennis.
Mark
How about after lunch? :cool:

Mark #2
09-12-2003, 09:02 AM
How about after lunch? :cool:

Sounds good, I'm taking Friday off. PM or post where and when you want to meet.
Mark

Lyfisin
09-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks for clearing some of that up. I had most of it figured out, but didn't know why the put 60' and 330. I guess they only have 3 places for data in that column.

If you had four runs, why are the two in the center in yellow?

Brook

Sixpipes
09-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Sounds good, I'm taking Friday off. PM or post where and when you want to meet.
Mark
Bonedaddy's? :cool:

Sixpipes
09-12-2003, 11:45 AM
Thanks for clearing some of that up. I had most of it figured out, but didn't know why the put 60' and 330. I guess they only have 3 places for data in that column.

If you had four runs, why are the two in the center in yellow?

Brook
It's carbon paper. First guy to the window gets the white copy, the second guy is left with the yellow. Some restaurants use the same kind of paper. :cool:

L8 APEX
09-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Confucious say "Never pick up wet yellow paper":hammer: