PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade the L?

microsuck
09-03-2003, 11:42 AM
A guy is willing to trade his 67 mustang vert for my lightning. here is the thread.
http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51530
we have been talking alot but I am kind of hesitating.

microsuck
09-03-2003, 11:44 AM
basically i need other peoples opinions. I usually drive my bikes so I guess it wouldent really be my daily driver.

microsuck
09-03-2003, 11:45 AM
I really like the classic stuff but dont want to lose the functionality of a truck. plus, it is pretty old.
andrew

Silver_2000
09-03-2003, 11:58 AM
I dont see that car being worth 17-20 K

my $0.02...

That car ALL original with matching numbers in decent shape is only likley worth 20k. A decently restored one with no matching numbers and flawless paint is once again MAYBE worth that ....

Here are some sample ads from hemmings

1967 Mustang: Among 24 ad(s) found that list prices*:
The average asking price is: $ 12,861
The highest asking price is:</FONT> $ 27,900
The lowest asking price is: $ 5,000

Keep in mind tha Hemmings attracts some of the BEST cars on the market so these prices are likely skewed high - since people with beater mustangs dont advertise them on Hemmings...

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/classifieds.carsearch/year1/1967/year2/1967/make/ford/model/mustang

here is description of a car worth near what our truck is

$ 17,900 1967 Ford Mustang (http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/dealers.detail/hmn_vehicle_id/200078)Houston, TXhttp://www.hemmings.com/images/dealers/thumbs/200078.jpg (http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/dealers.detail/hmn_vehicle_id/200078) 1967 Ford Mustang Big Block 4-speed Fastback. The last ‘67/’68 Fastback we had, lasted approximately 3 after we had it on our web site AND it went all the way to England. It was NOT EVEN A BIG BLOCK. These ‘67/’68 Fastbacks are certainly on of the most desirable and highly sought after Mustangs on the planet. As you probably know, this was the FIRST year for the BIG BLOCK in the Mustangs and basically it basically made the small block 289 Hi-Po obsolete. Consequently, it was not even offered in 1968. According to the previous owner, this particular “BEAST” has had the motor, transmission, clutch, 9” rear-end rebuilt recently. The engine is a work of art both in the way it runs and the way it looks. It has the unmistakable SOUND that only a few engines have. It is the SOUND that stops a crowd of people from doing whatever they are doing just to see what this MONSTER is that’s heading their direction. According to the previous owner, it has ALL the neat and expensive “GOODIES” that you want and of course it has been balanced also. The paint is an older paint job and probably you would want to REDO it and make a “BULLIT” car, an “ELEANOR” car or paint back to its original color. By the way, the floors and frame rails are excellent on this car. This is a VERY RARE and desirable car and at ONLY $17,900 is priced well under market value. We have just received documentation from Ford records (Marti Auto Works) that there were ONLY 168 Mustang built like this Fastback in all of 1967 Mustang production..

Doug

microsuck
09-03-2003, 12:18 PM
I think he is going to pay off the rest of what I owe. not sure though, I just asked. I am mainly concerned with it becoming a money pit (not like my truck wasnt) or falling apart. I have never owned any "old" cars.

Sixpipes
09-03-2003, 12:33 PM
This is a joke, right? http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/shifty.gif

Logan
09-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Take it from one who's been down that road... Just from what I see in the pits, I smell a half completed money pit, you'd end up dumping $10k additional into just to get it into respectable condition...

microsuck
09-03-2003, 05:33 PM
me and my truck are having an arguement and I am threatening to divorce her.

my2002lightning
09-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Andrew,

I think the main question you need to ask yourself is why you think you have to trade-off the L?

Just looking for some L "strange" ? :d

Personally, seeing how I'm at the OTHER end of the mod-spectrum as yourself, do you feel as though you've "broken" that bond you have with your L? Specifically, "modded too hard/jumped a curb, etc".

I've wrecked my college truck (not my fault...sorta') that my parent's bought for me (after years of service) and I felt terrible for it! I never looked at it the same after that.

H#ll, I think/act diffently towards my L after a number of "Vulgar Displays of HP/TQ" recently.:nana2

I haven't washed her since this weekend and I'm still trying to lineup the SECOND wax-job she's ever had! Looking to go Zaino.

Bottom line, sleep on it.

Ronald

microsuck
09-03-2003, 08:13 PM
it just really pisses me off how I have to always feel like I am walking on thin ice everytime I drive it for fear that it is going to break and I wont be able to fix it. I am sure that it will die off.

my2002lightning
09-03-2003, 08:31 PM
I guess I don't understand the whole EXTREME modding game. Don't get me wrong... I like to go fast.

I may not be the fastest/quickest L out there, but I'm going to do all I can to make sure she holds-together for as long as possible.

It's a delicate balance.

If that's your quandary, sell the black rig asap with the buyer having the whole "caveat emptor" understanding in the back of their mind.

Wash your hands of the L and go on if that's what you want.

Ronald

Now, you realize? You won't be be FULLY qualified to attend TALON meets if you go through with this! :eek2:

skalywags
09-03-2003, 10:45 PM
I think he is going to pay off the rest of what I owe. not sure though, I just asked. I am mainly concerned with it becoming a money pit (not like my truck wasnt) or falling apart. I have never owned any "old" cars.
that thing just screams money pit! keep the L. or just sell it off and get something newer at least. Those old Stangs take a lot of work to make them where they aer actually fun to drive, unless you only want to go in a straight line. i went through that experience once already. Ended selling the '67 fastback for a '92 thunderbird SC, 5 speed.

cpeapea
09-04-2003, 12:24 AM
now, owning several old cars, growing up around 60 muscle cars, i know enough to say, if you want reliability dont get it. halfway cars, hi-po cars, old, muscle cars are not reliable at all. and if you think the truck is a money pit, wait till you get a hold of anything muscley of 60ish. your a man and it will never stop.

99WhiteBeast
09-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Trade a future classic for an old classic- Don't do it!

There are only a few classic stangs to own IMO and that ain't one of them.

Winterhawk
09-04-2003, 10:37 AM
keep the L, You'll be glad you did later. If your L has some prbs. just work it out. like everyone is saying you have a classsic!