PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty Gripe

KJ94GT
05-30-2002, 12:27 AM
Anyone purchase the EasyCare Extended Warranty? Well, I did. I put my truck in the shop on Monday of this week for some basic warranty work. Before I even purchased the extended warranty, I was shooting the bull with the Service Manager, General Manager, a few Service Writers and some techs. I let them all know the truck has Bassani ceramic-coated shorty headers on it and was concerned if I would have problems with warranty work. They all assured me that the headers wouldn't be warrantied (duh) but there's no way headers can cause problems. So, they discovered that the clutches in the rear need to be replaced. Yet, EasyCare won't cover it because the truck is fitted with these headers. According to EasyCare, the headers increased the horsepower so much that they believe that's the cause of the clutches starting to go out. The truck has 39k miles on it. Anyone have any ideas? I will be complaining to everyone involved tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone could suggest something.

L8 APEX
05-30-2002, 12:39 AM
Dennis got voided because of his high output 20" wheels. There are some laws out there about SEMA approved products and such... Dyno results prove full Bassani exhaust systems gain 10-13 RWHP which is not clutch destroying power:rolleyes: Most warranty contracts I have read give them the power not to cover any modified stuff based on their inspection.. I wouldn't waste money on another stock rear end though. I would look for a Torsen or Auburn Pro series:D

KJ94GT
06-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Updates:
Email from the friend who caught them hot rodding my truck:

I was headed up there to get a thread insert for my
cylinder head, and I saw a black lightning heading
East on Plany Pkwy. I was stopped at the light right
there by the Acura dealership and the truck turned
north (left) on that street.
He didn't boil them down or anything, but 3/4 way
through the turn, he got on it pretty hard... I
definately heard tires and exhaust... I remember
thinking "wow, way to go... don't you feel
special..."
Anyhow, I pull into Midlekauff and I roll 'em up and
lock it up and I see the black lightning!! there's
two techs in it, and at first it looked like they were
going to park it out front, and I noticed the
dfwstangs sticker as he was backing it up... I don't
know if he caught me paying attention or what, but he
took it around back, so I walked back there to
investigate (this stuff ****es me off!!)
It looked like it was his truck, so I went up and got
my part...
I was looking around for the service manager, but
decided to say screw it.
But then as I was leaving, I drove around back to see
if there was an order number tag hanging from the
rearview... sure enough...
So I pulled back up to the service area and found the
service manager and told him what happened.
I can't remember his name, but he was THE service
manager as far as I know...
I can't say exactly how fast he was going or anything,
but I'm willing to bet he had the thing floored...
let's put it this way, if someone drove MY car the way
he was driving your truck, I'd be ****ED!!!

After I had a private conversation with the tech...

After everything that's happened so far, now they tell me this:
Before I bought the extended warranty, everyone and their dog knew the truck had Bassani ceramic-coated shorty headers on it. No one seemed to think it would be a problem. Now, the techs claim the rear-end clutches need to be replaced, yet the extended warranty company won't cover it because the truck is equipped with these headers. They said the headers create an increase in horsepower and this is what could've caused the clutches to burn out early. So, what I'm going to do is go in tomorrow to meet with the tech, Service Manager and General Manager and notify them that with the way the punk was driving the truck, he could've worn the clutches out! I know it's far-fetched, but anything is worth a shot!

Update: The Service Manager called me at 6pm lastnight, and since the warranty company has been giving me the run-around, he said that Middlekauff Ford will go ahead and repair my clutch packs and will absorb it. They will worry about getting paid from the warranty provider. So, I'm getting it fixed. WOOHOO.

Now, I took the truck home on Friday because they told me it was done, so I went to get it. Find out the rear wasn't done because the parts weren't there yet. So, I had already signed for it, so I took it home. On the way home, I noticed the left rear wheel wobbling. Come to find out the axle is bent now. But, I'm sure they'll try to pin it on me.

MadMax
06-03-2002, 06:36 PM
REPEAT...I SAID REPEAT...NEVER BUY WARRANTY FROM A 3RD PARTY SOURCE..NEVER...sorry 'bout the yelling but really...this is very old news...indeed. Never buy warranty from a 3rd party source..repeat after me....blah..blah..blah..

BEEN THERE DONE THAT... :mad:

KJ94GT
06-04-2002, 11:38 AM
This is Ford's extended warranty.

L8 APEX
06-04-2002, 03:11 PM
No no no... This is a independant company supposedly owned by Ford. The Ford warranty is called Premium Care Warranty. Easy care tried to screw me on my Tahoe transmission. I was at the dealer today and the service writers AND mechanics said never buy anything but Ford's Premium Care warranty;)

MadMax
06-04-2002, 03:36 PM
:nono:

NO/NIX/NADA...etc... what he said...

KJ94GT
06-06-2002, 12:44 AM
Well, it's a little late for all that now...