PDA

View Full Version : Official Lightningfest Convoy Info

tliss
09-01-2003, 12:24 PM
Thursday, Sept. 25 Convoy:

Meet at IHOP in Denton off Avenue D and I-35 about 9:30-10:00am, where we will have breakfast and head out between 11:00 and 11:30am. Driving time is estimated to be about 6-7 hours to Topeka, but I think we'll be there in better time. We will head out between 11-11:30am. Bring your 2 ways and spare 2 ways, CB radios, helmets, whatever else you need and let's roll.

Participants:
tliss
Crawford
My2002Lightning & MrsMy2002Lightning
Silver2000
98Cobra
Sixpipes
Mark #2?
andy_cain
TxBolt

Friday. Sept. 26 Convoy:

8AM Departure from Hooters (South Arlington) parking lot- That gives us time to stop for lunch along the way and arrive by 3:30 to 4

Participants:
Jcblack
alpine
99whitebeast gen 2
99whitebeast gen 1?
02bolt?

Tom

98Cobra
09-01-2003, 12:58 PM
I am in for Thursday as well....:nana2

my2002lightning
09-01-2003, 01:38 PM
We're THERE, Masta' Tom! :burnout:

This is gonna' be us leaving Denton! :bows

Ronald
.jpg courtesy of haloclub.com.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/211-300-69191.jpg

Cropped the picture to make the thread a little easier to read. :cool:

Silver_2000
09-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Im in for thurs as well. We may have some frolks from HALO joining us thur as well...

Doug

tliss
09-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Im in for thurs as well. We may have some frolks from HALO joining us thur as well...

Doug

I've posted the info for Thursday on the HALO site, but I've not had any bites. The more the merrier!!

Tom

my2002lightning
09-01-2003, 02:01 PM
I've been putting out "feelers" as well on NLOC/LOOK (Lightning Owners of OK.) sections lately.

I'll post-up again later this evening and send a few emails to round up some L-pilots north of the border to join us.

Ronald

Mark #2
09-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Let's see, the last time I convoyed to a race they shut down the entire highway.:)
I'll lead at 77-80, so I'm the first one to get a ticket.

Sixpipes
09-01-2003, 09:21 PM
I will catch everyone in Denton on Thursday morning. :cool:

Alpine
09-01-2003, 11:35 PM
Thursday, Sept. 25 Convoy:

Meet at IHOP in Denton off Avenue D and I-35 at 9am, where we will have breakfast and head out. Driving time is estimated to be about 6-7 hours to Topeka, but I think we'll be there in better time. We will head out between 10-10:30am. Bring your 2 ways and spare 2 ways, CB radios, helmets, whatever else you need and let's roll.

Friday. Sept. 26 Convoy:

Unknown. Somebody organize and post details and I'll incorporate into this post.

Here's the list of who's going each day:

Thursday:
tliss
Crawford
My2002Lightning & MrsMy2002Lightning
Silver2000
98Cobra

Friday:
?

Tom
Friday:
Jcblack
alpine
99whitebeast gen 2
99whitebeast gen 1?
02bolt?

Crawford
09-02-2003, 01:33 AM
Tom,

9am Thursday @ IHOP in Denton sounds good to me.

tliss
09-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Friday:
Jcblack
alpine
99whitebeast gen 2
99whitebeast gen 1?
02bolt?

Jeff,

Put together some details on where you guys are going to meet and the time on Friday and I'll incorporate it into the first post so it'll be in one spot. I've got your list in there now, I just need details.

Tom

99WhiteBeast
09-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Jeff,

Put together some details on where you guys are going to meet and the time on Friday and I'll incorporate it into the first post so it'll be in one spot. I've got your list in there now, I just need details.

Tom

8AM Departure from Hooters (South Arlington) parking lot- That gives us time to stop for lunch along the way and arrive by 3:30 to 4.

TxBolt
09-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Don't forget little ole me!! :nana2 :nana2

Alpine
09-03-2003, 06:26 PM
8AM Departure from Hooters (South Arlington) parking lot- That gives us time to stop for lunch along the way and arrive by 3:30 to 4.
Hooters needs to serve breakfast,dammit! Sounds good Steve.:tu:

tliss
09-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Don't forget little ole me!! :nana2 :nana2

Tim,

Which day are you going?

Tom

TxBolt
09-03-2003, 06:58 PM
Thursday!!

Crawford
09-23-2003, 10:54 AM
There are a couple people requesting moving the Thursday convoy meeting at IHOP in Denton from 9am to 10am. This will put us in Topeka arround 7-8pm and will give us some extra time to sleep in and load up etc. Also anyone joining us from Houston will get an extra hour as well. Sounds like a good idea to me. Let me know what you guys think.

tliss
09-23-2003, 11:01 AM
There are a couple people requesting moving the Thursday convoy meeting at IHOP in Denton from 9am to 10pm. This will put us in Topeka arround 7-8pm and will give us some extra time to sleep in and load up etc. Also anyone joining us from Houston will get an extra hour as well. Sounds like a good idea to me. Let me know what you guys think.

Works for me. Let's get a consensus here and officially make the change. I'll post up on the HALO board.

Tom

Sixpipes
09-23-2003, 11:12 AM
Works for me. Let's get a consensus here and officially make the change. I'll post up on the HALO board.

Tom
You also might want to consider the Cracker Barrel which is two more exits north on I-35 at Hwy 380. Easier to find if you are coming from Fort Worth and better parking than the IHOP.

http://maps.where2getit.com/cracker3/geoproc.php/cracker3?ADDR=&PLACE=denton&STATE=tx&ZIP=&RADIUS=10&EMAIL=&FNAME=&LNAME=

my2002lightning
09-23-2003, 11:20 AM

Tom

That'll work for us.

Crawford
09-23-2003, 12:19 PM
DOH! Thats supposed to be 9am to 10am... moving back one hour. I will edit post to fix as to avoid confusion.

Dennis: I dont know if it will be a good idea to change location that way if someone shows up at 9am and we decide to do 10am they will probably still be there when we start showing up. IMO.

Sixpipes
09-23-2003, 12:23 PM
DOH! Thats supposed to be 9am to 10am... moving back one hour. I will edit post to fix as to avoid confusion.

Dennis: I dont know if it will be a good idea to change location that way if someone shows up at 9am and we decide to do 10am they will probably still be there when we start showing up. IMO.

That's cool. Probably easier to get a table at IHOP anyway. :cool:

tliss
09-23-2003, 12:54 PM
I updated the original post to show we will be getting together around 9:30-10am and will be leaving between 11:00 and 11:30am. Does this work??

Tom

98Cobra
09-23-2003, 12:56 PM
I updated the original post to show we will be getting together around 9:30-10am and will be leaving between 11:00 and 11:30am. Does this work??

Tom

Works for me - woo hoo, sleeping in!!!!

Crawford
09-23-2003, 01:25 PM
I think its a good idea. We are in no hurry. Its our damn day off. Why should we be up there early?!? Rock on!

tliss
09-23-2003, 02:13 PM
I think its a good idea. We are in no hurry. Its our damn day off. Why should we be up there early?!? Rock on!

Of course, the earlier we get there the earlier we can start :beer:!!!

However, I'm with the group.....

Tom

Silver_2000
09-23-2003, 02:17 PM
The trip should only take 7 hours total as long as we dont dilly dally

Delaying the start time may give Gamino and crew time to get up here to convoy with us...

:burnout::tu:

my2002lightning
09-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Here are a coupla' things I'm thinking about.

1) The Arbuckles Mts. north of Ardmore, and the stretch of I-35 by Frontier City in OKC are notorious as big-time speedtraps. I say we get our Ls with the jammers out front and run "interference".

Too, OHP is pretty sneaky about sitting on entrance ramps too and "nailing you from behind" as you speed by! Pun intended! http://www.smiliedb.de/s/sdb31342.gif

2) The bigger truck stops/gas stops are Love's in Ardmore/Pauls Valley/Norman between here and OKC. I've never ran their 93 in my truck, but I'm thinking about the necessity/capacity of gassing up ~15+ Ls all at once and making the best time we can up to Topeka.

Doug/Tom,

How many Ls are we expecting to leave Denton with us (including HALO/JDM throw-ins confirmed)?

Thoughts?

Ronald

my2002lightning
09-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Following up:

I've made a few calls to the LOOK crowd and I just spoke with Albert/A-Lightning (Red '01 L in Norman) and he is still out for mechanical issues with one of his pistons, etc.

Also, I just got off the phone with Brandon/forcefedcobra on NLOC/LOOK. He has a modded Red '01 L with 20" chrome rep.s and a black bra for the road-trip.

He's meeting us at I-35 near Enid, OK. on Thu. after lunch. We're coordinating via cell and he'll throw in as well.

He says his HS buddy is tuning/racing his SVT Focus (he's native to the Topeka/KC party scene) and they're looking to round up the SVT crowd for some after-hours partying.:nana2

Ronald

L8 APEX
09-23-2003, 10:39 PM
If I get away from the day job, get the truck ready, find a tow vehilce and trailer. I will plan on leaving early Thursday morning and arriving at relative's house in Newton, KS (North of Wichita) about 3pm. Then back on the road towards Topeka after breakfast. Reverse pattern Sunday afternoon. I will finish the drive home Monday. Even though I put in for vacation leave. When you are one of two techs for the D/FW area they beg you to stay and handle fires:flaming: I am maxed out at 120 hours of vacation and cannot accrew any more until I burn some off:hammer:

tliss
09-24-2003, 06:25 AM
Sound like we have about 8-9 with a few we'll be picking up along the way. I still don't have any confirmations from the Houston crowd nor do I know if the JDM crew is convoying with us. I'm sure Doug will have more info.

Tom

tliss
09-24-2003, 12:57 PM
About 3 hours until vacation!!! Can't wait to get the hell out of here for a few days!!!

Tom

Silver_2000
09-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Sound like we have about 8-9 with a few we'll be picking up along the way. I still don't have any confirmations from the Houston crowd nor do I know if the JDM crew is convoying with us. I'm sure Doug will have more info.

Tom

JDM and Gamino already left

Apparently DFW doesnt hold the interest that Sweeny does...

my2002lightning
09-24-2003, 01:31 PM
About 3 hours until vacation!!! Can't wait to get the hell out of here for a few days!!!

Tom
I hear ya' on that, Tom! I got a 1:28am "wakeup" call from work and was here until around 3am this morning.:crying:

I was back up here at 9am, too.:(

Ronald

Silver_2000
09-24-2003, 06:37 PM
Looking at Mapquest it says 7 hours 50 minutes from my house

JDM says it took them 8.5 and they were doing 80

We may want to get an earlier start ....

Get motoring by 11 am latest

Doug

my2002lightning
09-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Earlier is fine by us, Doug!

We need to also think about getting to OKC BEFORE their rush-hour...

And yes, it can be bad even on I-35 with the daily wrecks, etc. there.

Ronald

dboat
09-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Earlier is fine by us, Doug!

We need to also think about getting to OKC BEFORE their rush-hour...

And yes, it can be bad even on I-35 with the daily wrecks, etc. there.

Ronald

I know.. freakin OK drivers... :evil

TxBolt
09-24-2003, 07:26 PM
Works for me - woo hoo, sleeping in!!!! Oh wow!! Me too till 5:30 am! :vomit: Hay Dennis did it take you about 3 hours from Denton to I-20 on 69? I'm thinking I need to leave about 6:30 to catch yall by 10:00. I will be driving blind because my radar detector went down, so my speeding will be limited. Let us dummies know where the meeting site is so me don't drive up and down the freeway looking for yall! :nana2

tliss
09-24-2003, 07:32 PM
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=1001+north+texas&city=denton&state=tx&zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map

Here is a link to a Mapquest view of where the IHOP is. The official address is 1001 N. Texas Blvd in Denton.

See you there tomorrow. I'm heading out from the house about 9-ish.

Tom

my2002lightning
09-24-2003, 07:37 PM
I know.. freakin OK drivers... :evil
TX drivers aren't much better! Some Frisco MILF soccer Mom in an Excursion tried to take off my driver's side, rear quarter-panel the other day!

I think that cell phone of hers was GLUED to her ear! http://www.ectona.org/Mysmilies/Smilies/motz.gif

We can be at the IHOP whenever. Preferrably earlier, but either way.

Ronald

TxBolt
09-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the map, see ya there!

dboat
09-24-2003, 09:12 PM
TX drivers aren't much better! Some Frisco MILF soccer Mom in an Excursion tried to take off my driver's side, rear quarter-panel the other day!

I think that cell phone of hers was GLUED to her ear! http://www.ectona.org/Mysmilies/Smilies/motz.gif

We can be at the IHOP whenever. Preferrably earlier, but either way.

Ronald

Cant argue with that Ronald, get over in Plano and you get the soccer moms in their Range Rovers hopping curbs,etc.. but I meant ALL OK drivers and it appears a lot of them have emigrated to Ohio too:flaming:.. WTHeck is that all about? Hasnt been too bad here in Erie so far though..
I used to go to OKCity all the time and I used to see an accident happen in front of me almost every time I was there.. had to be the worst drivers in any city I have ever visited.. really.. scared the crap outta me.
Dana

my2002lightning
09-24-2003, 09:56 PM
Cant argue with that Ronald, get over in Plano and you get the soccer moms in their Range Rovers hopping curbs,etc.. but I meant ALL OK drivers and it appears a lot of them have emigrated to Ohio too:flaming:.. WTHeck is that all about? Hasnt been too bad here in Erie so far though..
I used to go to OKCity all the time and I used to see an accident happen in front of me almost every time I was there.. had to be the worst drivers in any city I have ever visited.. really.. scared the crap outta me.
Dana
Yeah, and I heard the biggest driving 'tards were banned to PA, too! :rll::D

I remember one of the craziest driving things I saw in OK was a pickup with a couch in the back going north on I-35, north of 240 once.

The tailgate was down and the full-size couch in the back decided to exit the truck. I'm behind him a few lengths and all the rest of us were like http://www.ls1.com/forums/images/smilies/ugh.gif !

We all "part like the Red Sea" at 70-80mph and watch this couch "float" past us and disappear in the rear-view.... all in the middle of I-35/OKC!

Ronald

MrsMy2002Lightning
09-24-2003, 10:33 PM
I can't argue with you Dana ... They're all pretty much bad ... How I managed to stay out of any wrecks for the last 10 years there completely amazes me.

I've never seen so many stupid things done on the highways and streets as I have there.

You can't completely say it's all in Oklahoma though. When we first got here we were driving over to the Denton 1/8 mile track and we saw an old blue and white striped pick-up truck ... had a camper shell that was placed on the bed of the truck but was about 2 feet away from the back window when it should have been right at the window. He was driving with that stupid thing just hanging there. It was even a bit tilted like it was going to fall off and he just kept on driving! LOL

Glad PA is cool for you so far ... We saw Kim the other night but she was being anti-social. :( She was at hooters picking up shirts.

dboat
09-25-2003, 05:45 AM
I can't argue with you Dana ... They're all pretty much bad ... How I managed to stay out of any wrecks for the last 10 years there completely amazes me.

I've never seen so many stupid things done on the highways and streets as I have there.

You can't completely say it's all in Oklahoma though. When we first got here we were driving over to the Denton 1/8 mile track and we saw an old blue and white striped pick-up truck ... had a camper shell that was placed on the bed of the truck but was about 2 feet away from the back window when it should have been right at the window. He was driving with that stupid thing just hanging there. It was even a bit tilted like it was going to fall off and he just kept on driving! LOL

Glad PA is cool for you so far ... We saw Kim the other night but she was being anti-social. :( She was at hooters picking up shirts.

I am sure that she wasnt trying to be anti-social,, its just with the house stuff, the moving stuff, the relocating stuff, being apart for the last three weeks stuff, its a bit much.. She will be here this weekend for a week and we'll be glad to see each other.

Mark #2
09-28-2003, 09:08 PM
Looking at Mapquest it says 7 hours 50 minutes from my house

JDM says it took them 8.5 and they were doing 80

We may want to get an earlier start ....

Get motoring by 11 am latest

Doug

Okay, just to finish this thread we did it in 6.5 hours on the way back, behind Go Rila and the newly named "Silverback".
:nana2
Mark

blueoval01
09-28-2003, 09:39 PM
As I said before ........ :bows
Mark's Rock :d

Welcome back guys :nana2