PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting ready for deer-season?

my2002lightning
08-30-2003, 11:39 AM
I am! I'm sure Brian and Andrew are going.

My cousin's husband in Allen just took off for a week-long guided elk-bowhunt near Durango, CO and that's really giving me the itch!

Time to scout out my deer stands, check out their "trails and patterns" and prep. the stands (clear out shooting lanes, etc). Dial-in scope adjustments and tighten in those groups! "Keep 'em in the 10-ring"!http://www.ls1.com/forums/images/smilies/lildevil.gif

I'll take my camera(s) and post .jpgs of any 8-pt+ bucks. Mom/Dad have a big 8-ptr. that chases does around the house-place.

3 or so years back, I saw a bachelor-herd of five 8-10pt bucks during bow-season (out of range) when they ALL first stepped out. I SO wish I had my camera for THAT! :bows

Going bow/black-powder/gun! :D

I know it's wordy and not L related but this is the OT section.

Ronald

Moonshine
08-30-2003, 05:13 PM
No lease for the 4th year now. :( I do have a lead on a lease in Haskell Co, but the owner probably won't make a decision on adding another hunter (me) until sometime during der season.

I am hooked up on a dove lease, so at least it's not a total loss.:rolleyes:

my2002lightning
08-30-2003, 06:08 PM
Brian,

That's WAY too late in the season. You have to prepare your stand(s) and "blend in". But, then again, I remember the TX deer/rifle season lasts longer than the OK season. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems the "rut" is all about cold-fronts, moon-phases, etc.

I've heard that whitetail have "late" ruts into May in south TX and wear their antlers until then. Is this true? I'm asking...

Thanks,

Ronald

George G.
08-31-2003, 12:49 AM
I'll be going dove huntin' Monday. Took that goofy hunter safety course with a bunch of youngsters today and passed. I get my 30-06 next month but my deer hunting buddy let go of his lease. Now I gotta look into this Type 2 thing and see what my options are.

cpeapea
08-31-2003, 01:49 PM
im gonna kill me a deer

L8 APEX
08-31-2003, 01:51 PM
im gonna kill me a deer
Just don't tie it to the hood of the Lightning:D

MrsMy2002Lightning
08-31-2003, 02:11 PM
im gonna kill me a deer

ME TOO! I'm gonna get myself a bucket a fried chicken, a 6 pack a beer and my sweetie's 30-30 and "catch" myself a deer too!

Anyone have one of those little freezers they wanna sell?

:throw:

dboat
08-31-2003, 02:14 PM
ME TOO! I'm gonna get myself a bucket a fried chicken, a 6 pack a beer and my sweetie's 30-30 and "catch" myself a deer too!

:throw:

would that be like.."OH Dear, OH Dear, can I get you a cold beer?"

or would that be a marriage lisc? :evil:evil

then you have caught him good a legal, rather than common law?

my2002lightning
08-31-2003, 04:09 PM
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by MrsMy2002Lightning

:throw: <HR SIZE=1>would that be like.."OH Dear, OH Dear, can I get you a cold beer?"

or would that be a marriage lisc? :evil:evil

then you have caught him good a legal, rather than common law?Dana,

The bucket of fried-chicken/beer thing goes back to when I lived in Plano back in 98/99 and a big ol' bearded "Grizzly-Adams" bubba gunstore salesman told me one of his best-times was sitting on his back porch with a bucket of fried chicken, brew, his .223 and shooting coyotes! For some reason, that just struck me as hilarious! :D

I'm putting Laney on Mom/Dads backporch near the warm house/etc. Probably a better chance of getting a "kill" there since it's not hunted.

I hunt alone, get in the "zone" and am in my stand when I can barely see the ground on opening day 5-6am. Hunting gear all sitting in trash-bags for a week with cedar cuttings in them to "scent" in. Stomping around one of my grandparents cow-lots at 5-6am. to further mask my "scent" helps, too.

Laney wouldn't last out there. I'm camoed head-to-toe, bundled up (freezing cold) and hiking in for 1-2+ miles up-and-down ravines, etc. and climbing up 25ft+ into my stand. Sitting all day in a tree with strong North winds with no steady blood circulation takes alot from you.

I even cut way-back on any food/fluid intake for obvious reasons. Also, don't wash with scented soaps for several days and breath through your nose... they can smell a humans breath. Dad taught me and has the deer-kills to prove it.

I'm at peace out there... When you drop your first "wall-hanger" ... you'll understand!

PA. has plenty of hunting opportunities up there, as well.

Ronald

We're "discussing" various matters in that area. We both hunt/fish/love Ls/computers/and other things. :D

Moonshine
08-31-2003, 06:11 PM
Brian,

That's WAY too late in the season. You have to prepare your stand(s) and "blend in". But, then again, I remember the TX deer/rifle season lasts longer than the OK season. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems the "rut" is all about cold-fronts, moon-phases, etc.

I've heard that whitetail have "late" ruts into May in south TX and wear their antlers until then. Is this true? I'm asking...

Thanks,

Ronald

Yeah, I figure I'm screwed for this year even if he agrees to let me on. But I could probably take a doe and do some good scouting, so I'd be prepared for next year.

Not sure how long the season is in OK, but the general gun season in Tx is from the first Sat in Nov to the first Sat in Jan.

Never heard of bucks shedding after March or so, but then again I've never hunted S. Tx.

my2002lightning
08-31-2003, 10:20 PM
Brian,

The OK rifle deer season is from the weekend before/after Thanksgiving.

When you say "gun", do you mean blackpowder, rifle, etc? Different states are "picky" this way.

Yes, I've heard that S. TX. whitetails that rut/shed into March-May. Don't know how true that is ... but, it's one of those things you'd have to see to believe.

Ronald