PDA

View Full Version : instrument cluster problems

skalywags
08-28-2003, 02:38 AM
Is this a freak thing, or has anyone else had this. I have 6400 miles on my '03 Lightning. Saturday night I get in, the lights are out on the instrument cluster. all other dash lights (radio, a/c, lights, odomoeter) light up. Check all fuses, they are ok. Took it to Bankston. they have to replace the cluster, which doesn't come in until Friday, which also means I am stuck driving this rental until at least then (a Hyundai Sanata :vomit:. these kind of cars shold be :banned !). So now I am in a leg cast, driving a hyundai. If bad luck comes in 3's, I hope the dash counts as one, too!

I have no mods done, so no one has been fishing around to screw it up, yet.

SILVER2000SVT
08-28-2003, 08:12 AM
I know of two other guys who had the exact same problem. They just replaced the whole cluster in theirs too.

Ken
08-28-2003, 09:17 AM
At least yours is covered under warranty, I haven't fixed mine yet because I have to pay for it.

Would you mind asking them how much the part would have cost when you pick it up?

SILVER2000SVT
08-28-2003, 09:58 AM
are there serial numbers on those things? swap it out with a buddy that has one that's under warranty

Ken
08-28-2003, 02:48 PM
are there serial numbers on those things? swap it out with a buddy that has one that's under warranty

You volunteering???

SILVER2000SVT
08-28-2003, 03:13 PM
my warranty ran out last month, so I don't think I could pull that off

andy_cain
08-28-2003, 03:23 PM
I could be wrong here (have been before) but I had heard at one time from a reliable source that the cluster was somehow tied into the PATS system, thus the prevention of swapping out Odometers for lesser mile gauge clusters.
If memory serves me, when it is replaced, the data it contains needs to be uploaded to NGS Scan Tool and then downloaded back to the new cluster...or something like that.
:confused:

SILVER2000SVT
08-28-2003, 03:51 PM
your right, I remember that now when they replaced mine a while back...Thats makes it extremely difficult even if you have the programmer because of all the stuff you have to do

skalywags
08-28-2003, 11:19 PM
At least yours is covered under warranty, I haven't fixed mine yet because I have to pay for it.

Would you mind asking them how much the part would have cost when you pick it up?
I'll ask them when I pick it up. Supposedly it is supposed to be ready tomorrow.

I can't believe it happened this fast. Hope it isn't a sign.

As far as swapping from other trucks, I agree it may be hard. Also, they wouldn't let me take my truck, after they found the problem. Said they had to get the new one and program it before I can get it back.

sure hope they get this thing quick. the Hyundai the gave me is not good!

skalywags
09-01-2003, 10:54 PM
I'll ask them when I pick it up. Supposedly it is supposed to be ready tomorrow.

I can't believe it happened this fast. Hope it isn't a sign.

As far as swapping from other trucks, I agree it may be hard. Also, they wouldn't let me take my truck, after they found the problem. Said they had to get the new one and program it before I can get it back.

sure hope they get this thing quick. the Hyundai the gave me is not good!
Service rep didn't give me an actual price. said warranty price was $300, so would cost 444-500 to get the new instrument cluster.