PDA

View Full Version : Oil separator

blueoval01
08-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Read a couple how-to's today on oil separators. One was mounted on the passanger side, other was on the driver side. Seems like a good idea since I've seen posts about the Teflon flaking off the SC rotors.
And, I see that REM has their own as well.

Are these necessary for the occasional weekend track event or are they geared towards the "every week" racer?

Either way, it still seems like a good "Pro-active" Mod .......:cool:

dboat
08-24-2003, 07:24 PM
and it collects oil.. not sure whether you will get any kind of consensus on it... I have the REM unit on mine.. passenger side.. you are welcome to look at it anytime..
Dana

blueoval01
08-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Dana, thanks.
Not sure who is using them and to what extent. But, it makes sense to have one.
Jeez, if a "soon to be employed" daily driver is seeing results, WTFT.

Thanks again, do you charge to look at yours? :rll:

Thanks for the input, Dana :tu:

dboat
08-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Dana, thanks.

Thanks again, do you charge to look at yours?

Thanks for the input, Dana :tu:

If I can get away with it I do... :evil:evil

besides, you were gonna buy the house with all that patent money you be makin... right?

L8 APEX
08-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Wrong Mark, Mark#2 is the pantent whore, Mark#4 is the crazy old man. I think the seperators are gay, oil keeps everything well lubed. The flaking teflon was due to a poor coating on the 99-00's.

blueoval01
08-24-2003, 08:59 PM
If I can get away with it I do... :evil:evil

besides, you were gonna buy the house with all that patent money you be makin... right?
:rll: I understand ...........

Naw, the patent stuff belongs to "Mark #2", he's the WWFB guy.
And if it comes right down to it, I may ask for his help. :beer:

my2002lightning
08-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Terry,

I'm curious to Eaton's revisions to the newer ('02) Ls rotor-packs. What was done/fixes, testing, expectations, etc, etc...

Now, if I could find Mark#2s place for a fuel-filter change, I'd be doing alright... :D

blueoval01
08-24-2003, 09:31 PM
There is a "How to" on Dougs site, but I'm sure there was a post resently on the same subject.
One of them "special" tools and instructions to replace that sucker ........... :hammer:

L8 APEX
08-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Terry,

I'm curious to Eaton's revisions to the newer ('02) Ls rotor-packs. What was done/fixes, testing, expectations, etc, etc...

Now, if I could find Mark#2s place for a fuel-filter change, I'd be doing alright... :DAll I know is they had teflon chipping off the old rotors which was reported to cause a small drop in boost on some trucks. Eaton changed the process and it sticks good to the new rotors. It is a very simple and reliable unit. The Cobra rotors have a black oxide coating. Ford uses a $600 charger, compared to HB, Vortech, Whipple, Autorotor or any other quality charger being 2500 or more. You get what you pay for.

my2002lightning
08-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Low-bid contract winners! :rolleyes::(

dboat
08-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Wrong Mark, Mark#2 is the pantent whore, Mark#4 is the crazy old man. I think the seperators are gay, oil keeps everything well lubed. The flaking teflon was due to a poor coating on the 99-00's.

Well I know that you dont like it, but it does stop the oil from coming into the supercharger and getting burned on to it.. keeps the intake clean too.. I have taken enough oil out of it to know.. but to each his own.. Tehre have been enough threads on this issue on the different forums for folks to make their own opinions, mine was to go with this unit.. I think Crawford went with the Swanson unit...
:twitch:

cpeapea
08-25-2003, 04:24 PM
it cant be good for efficiency when the oil coats the intercooler with plenty of oily goodness

blueoval01
08-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Well I know that you dont like it, but it does stop the oil from coming into the supercharger and getting burned on to it.. keeps the intake clean too.. I have taken enough oil out of it to know.. but to each his own.. Tehre have been enough threads on this issue on the different forums for folks to make their own opinions, mine was to go with this unit.. I think Crawford went with the Swanson unit...
:twitch:
Dana, they look fairly simple to install. But there may be more than meets the eye. How did your install go? Any issues that I would need to be aware of?
:(

my2002lightning
08-25-2003, 05:36 PM
plenty of oily goodness :rll::rll::rll:

Too funny!

dboat
08-25-2003, 06:03 PM
Terry did it.. but they say it takes 15 minutes, Terry said for his high level type of install, maybe 30 minutes... he might be able to comment on the install.. he did it a little over a year ago..
Dana

blueoval01
08-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Terry did it.. but they say it takes 15 minutes, Terry said for his high level type of install, maybe 30 minutes... he might be able to comment on the install.. he did it a little over a year ago..
Dana
OK, now I'm getting the picture here.
Terry and HIS gay installs. :rolleyes:

L8 APEX
08-25-2003, 09:08 PM
The moral to the gayness is there are at least three lines that blow oil into the intake. Putting a seperator on one line does not stop all of the oil. It stops little of the oil vapor as well. You will not see these Wal Mart grade contraptions on the fastest PR trucks:nono: They should sell these as a combo unit with the Plasma Booster:Bullshit

Mark #2
08-25-2003, 09:35 PM
Patent whore here.
Use an air/oil separator.
Just my opinion.
Mark

Sixpipes
08-26-2003, 08:24 AM
You will not see these Wal Mart grade contraptions on the fastest PR trucks:nono: They should sell these as a combo unit with the Plasma Booster:Bullshit

I resemble that remark. I have a Plasma Booster................in my toolbox somewhere. :cool: