PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about

dboat
08-21-2003, 06:37 AM
this as a mod?

If you dont already know, my goal is to optimize the output of a stock L. The main reason is that I want to keep my warranty and plan to buy an extended warranty when the time comes around. I will list my mods at the end which has my dyno numbers, the last ones from the dyno day at Speedworks. I have not chipped or pulley'd the truck, although I have done the microtuner but most will tell you that the programming is pretty mild.
I am now thinking of doing the phenolic spacer. The reason is that it helps slow and prevent some heat soak going into the upper plenum. What do you guys think? Terry, pls chime in here too...
What other mods would get me some more hp and tq? remember no chip and pulley, got to keep it clean so the warranty doesnt get voided..

Thanks
guys..
Dana

dboat
08-21-2003, 01:31 PM
ttt

Dana

blueoval01
08-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Humm, sure why not, Dana.

Also, a KB SC comes to mind as well. :eek2:

dboat
08-21-2003, 02:07 PM
Humm, sure why not, Dana.

Also, a KB SC comes to mind as well. :eek2:

sure and not a bad bang for the buck, but I have a feeling the local Ford dealer wont look kindly on my warranty when something breaks...

Sixpipes
08-21-2003, 02:59 PM
If you arrange for an aftermarket extended warranty (non-Ford) you may as well keep it stock. My former extended warranty company (Franklin, TN) would not honor my warranty claim on the third intercooler because I had 20" wheels. No joke. :cool:

microsuck
08-21-2003, 03:18 PM
just do it. its worth it and they would just be replacing it with more crappy stock parts anyways.

dboat
08-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Ford ESPP warranty,, I have been told by many that getting the Ford ext warranty is the only way to go... I am just looking for any add'l mods that wont put me over the top but will get me a few more hp and tq... But at this point, not sure what else I can do that would be cost effective.. I have pretty much all the bling and add-ons that I could want.. except maybe those sway bars.. hmmmm, maybe Terry could hook me up there too before I go.. well thanks for responding:tu:... if you guys think of anything else, pls post it..
Dana

Sixpipes
08-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Ford ESPP warranty,, I have been told by many that getting the Ford ext warranty is the only way to go... I am just looking for any add'l mods that wont put me over the top but will get me a few more hp and tq... But at this point, not sure what else I can do that would be cost effective.. I have pretty much all the bling and add-ons that I could want.. except maybe those sway bars.. hmmmm, maybe Terry could hook me up there too before I go.. well thanks for responding:tu:... if you guys think of anything else, pls post it..
Dana
If you eliminate the chip and pulley as mods, about the only other things you are missing would be a 160F thermostat, electric fan, cobra water pump, and maybe an intercooler fan or two. I don't want to get into a debate about whether these mods add horsepower or not, but I have them on my truck. :cool:

andy_cain
08-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Would water/methenol injection leave traces in the block like NX does?....they claim 50 HP from that and it is a simple install/remove...just don't know if they could tell or not.
Snowindustries seems to ring a memory bell as a provider I looked at once when considering it for mine.

Dana: Your mod list has inspired me::beer:

1999 FORD SVT LIGHTNING # 208 OF 4000
Performance:

PSP 4# lower pulley
PSP Hi-Flow Filter Kit
PSP 90 MM MAF
PSP 4 way chip
Level 10 Shift Kit W/4X4 deep pan
Denso IT 24’s
Accufab S.B/T.B
Bassani catback exhaust
Bassani Equal Length Short Tube Headers
ACPT Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft
Purple Ice - Intercooler/Radiator
JLP Drive shaft loop
(3) SPAL-7" Intercooler Fans
Electric Fan kit
Cobra R water pump
160 thermostat
NX Express 75 Wet Nitrous kit
PSP billet injection plate
AutoMeter Phantom electric pressure gauge
MT ET Streets 26X11.5X16 mounted on American Racing aluminum rims
American Racing 16X7 front runners
Truck Trak traction bars
Mobil 1 5/30 & ATF

Sound and Electronics:
Valentine One
Kenwood Excelon cd/mp3
Polk Audio 6X8’s F/R
600 watt Profile amp
Alpine MRP-200
MTX Thunderform w/2 10” Treo

Appearance:
Cervinis Ram Air hood
Carriage Works powder coated grills
Snug lid
Explorer Center Console Mod
Bed Rug
"02" lights/Rims
Belltech 2" Shackles
Zaino Z-2,5,6,7,9,10,12,16,18,ZFX, Clay Bar
Keyless door mod
Triple gauge pillar pod (water/oil/boost/NX pressure-Auto Meter Phantom Gauges)
Lightning Velour floor mats

NLOC Member #946
486.4 RWHP
621.5 RWTQ

Best ¼ on Motor = 12.261@109.81 (12.261@109.81)
Best ¼ = 11.85@115.23 MPH (75 Shot)
Best 60' = 1.704

my2002lightning
08-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Dana,

I hear ya' on keeping the L "stock". I'm planning on getting the 100K ESP soon (fwiw) as I plan on keeping her a long time AND in ONE piece!:nana2

The only thing I can think of that concerns me is the "dieseling" on startup for a while. I need to make sure all the plugs are tight. It is a later '02 engine though. Hopefully I have MORE threads for the plugs. :rolleyes:

I'm looking at a deep, finned trans. pan with one of those magnetic plugs to trap shavings and probably one of Terry's loud exhausts for the h#ll of it. Possibly a set of 2" drop-shackles later on.

I've been hearing alot of Ford REALLY clamping down on ANY mod. voiding any warranty! :flaming:

Such is owning an L...

Ronald

dboat
08-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Dana,

I hear ya' on keeping the L "stock". I'm planning on getting the 100K ESP soon (fwiw) as I plan on keeping her a long time AND in ONE piece!:nana2

The only thing I can think of that concerns me is the "dieseling" on startup for a while. I need to make sure all the plugs are tight. It is a later '02 engine though. Hopefully I have MORE threads for the plugs. :rolleyes:

I'm looking at a deep, finned trans. pan with one of those magnetic plugs to trap shavings and probably one of Terry's loud exhausts for the h#ll of it. Possibly a set of 2" drop-shackles later on.

I've been hearing alot of Ford REALLY clamping down on ANY mod. voiding any warranty! :flaming:

Such is owning an L...

Ronald

Ronald, I remember our conversation on this and we pretty much had the same ideas.. Actually, I think even the early 03's had the short thread heads like mine and unfortunately probably yours too..
Wayne brings up a good point and Dennis' post got me to thinking about a cold box for the intercooler but I dont want to be cutting holes in the bed of the truck for it.. if there was a way to do that mod and keep it in the engine compartment, w/o having to make room in the trunk for the battery... oh well.. not sure what some of the other mods would get me at this point..
I did the deep tranny pan, Ford version with Terry already...
The electric fan and the intercooler fans may be somewhat worthwhile to do for a few extra ponies...
I could lighten up my truck by going on a diet and losing 100 lbs..:rll:

or then again, maybe not..
Keep em coming guys.. I think it would be interesting to see just how well one can get a virtual stock L running..
Terry, will the Denso's get me any pickup?
Thanks
Dana

dboat
08-21-2003, 08:54 PM
I didnt list my S100 wax on mine but I might try to go back through and see what else I can list on mine.. the siggie wars are on!!:burnout:

andy_cain
08-21-2003, 09:19 PM
I didnt list my S100 wax on mine but I might try to go back through and see what else I can list on mine.. the siggie wars are on!!:burnout:

That Zaino gains me 4 RWHP...honnest, I swear, just don't ask me to prove it:hammer:

I would really be curious to know if traces of water/methenol can be detected in the system if it were injected....:confused:

Here is more info on injection: http://www.snowperformance.net/faq.htm

:nana2

microsuck
08-21-2003, 10:09 PM
That Zaino gains me 4 RWHP...honnest, I swear, just don't ask me to prove it:hammer:

I would really be curious to know if traces of water/methenol can be detected in the system if it were injected....:confused:

Here is more info on injection: http://www.snowperformance.net/faq.htm

:nana2
it shouldnt be traceable. It will burn up before it gets to anthing. I am running it on mine and love it. I have found that it seems to run stronger on more alcy than water. I tried pure water for a while then pure alcy, but now I do about 20% water.

dboat
08-21-2003, 10:19 PM
it shouldnt be traceable. It will burn up before it gets to anthing.

I have heard the same thing said about nitrous... get me facts..

microsuck
08-21-2003, 10:22 PM
alcohol is petrol just like gas, and water is found in the air.................
Hummmm. they might believe it

REXRENEGADE
08-22-2003, 04:52 PM
this as a mod?

If you dont already know, my goal is to optimize the output of a stock L. The main reason is that I want to keep my warranty and plan to buy an extended warranty when the time comes around. I will list my mods at the end which has my dyno numbers, the last ones from the dyno day at Speedworks. I have not chipped or pulley'd the truck, although I have done the microtuner but most will tell you that the programming is pretty mild.
I am now thinking of doing the phenolic spacer. The reason is that it helps slow and prevent some heat soak going into the upper plenum. What do you guys think? Terry, pls chime in here too...
What other mods would get me some more hp and tq? remember no chip and pulley, got to keep it clean so the warranty doesnt get voided..

Thanks
guys..
Dana
HMMMMMM...MODS....
How about trying a Sail! Or better yet, one of those huge fans they put on the ass end of a swamp buggy ! That won't crap out your warranty.
:tongue:

devildog92
08-27-2003, 10:04 AM
this as a mod?

Thanks
guys..
Dana

I think the best mod yet is the 'buy-up' mod. How you do this is:

1) Goto carmax and sell the L.

2) Then goto the Chevrolet dealer and by a C5.

How easy is that LOL

dboat
08-27-2003, 10:55 AM
I think the best mod yet is the 'buy-up' mod. How you do this is:

1) Goto carmax and sell the L.

2) Then goto the Chevrolet dealer and by a C5.

How easy is that LOL

sounds easy, hmmm, oh but it wont pull my boat..

LOL... and its a bit expensive too.. did think about getting a
used one for a road car/hooptie though...
thanks
Dana