PDA

View Full Version : Tires

dboat
08-18-2003, 06:32 AM
I will be getting to that point of having to replace mine soon. What tires are people running other than stock? Also, what size(s) are people running other than stock, but still at 18" rims? I have stock wheels.
Be honest with your assessment of your tires.
Thanks
Dana

tliss
08-18-2003, 07:30 AM
There are 2 schools of thought.....people seem to either run the Nittos or the Toyo Proxes. I have heard the Toyos will last forever because of the hard compound. I will probably get a set of those next time around. For now I have the Nitto NT555, and they are great! They hold really good and have a little more life than the F1s.

If you want a long life out of your tires go for the Toyos.

Tom

dboat
08-18-2003, 08:27 AM
There are 2 schools of thought.....people seem to either run the Nittos or the Toyo Proxes. I have heard the Toyos will last forever because of the hard compound. I will probably get a set of those next time around. For now I have the Nitto NT555, and they are great! They hold really good and have a little more life than the F1s.

If you want a long life out of your tires go for the Toyos.

Tom

What about road noise.. I hear the Nittos are much louder... not trying to diss your tires, just what I have heard.. havent heard much about the Toyos... anyone running BFG's? they do make a perf radial in our size.. anyone running 305's or 315's?
I just want to cover all the bases...
Thanks for your input Tom.. appreciate it.
Dana

L8 APEX
08-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Nitto 555 unless you want a snow tire Then the F1. Get with Brooks @ Discount he will hook you up.

tliss
08-18-2003, 09:33 AM
The Nittos are about as noisy as the F1s. I hear the Toyos make more noise. I'm running stock size.

BFG makes a good tire, but too pricey for most. It's also not much better than the F1s or Nittos.

Tom

Ken
08-18-2003, 09:39 AM
Yes the Toyos are long lasting and make you feel like you've got SUV tires. They love to squeal at ANY stab of the throttle. It gets me plenty of attention everytime I leave with any kind of gusto.

They grip surprisingly well laterally though. I did about 8 mins around the TMS road coarse and was able to stay with the S2000s. Then they overheated and I was in the dirt, twice.

So they're a good alternative if you're willing to give up a little over the F1s, and they'll last longer too.

Ken

PS They handle heavy loads pretty good too... (See pic)

Crawford
08-18-2003, 10:13 AM
I put a set of the Proxes on at 15k and I love them. The road noise is a little louder which I dont like BUT I have about 17k on them and there is still plenty of tread left. That part I love. The best place to get them is probably from Mark@LFP. I think he sells them for about $180 each. I paid $250 each for mine mounted and balanced at Kauffman Tire over a year ago. Good luck!

dboat
08-18-2003, 10:20 AM
The Nittos are about as noisy as the F1s. I hear the Toyos make more noise. I'm running stock size.

BFG makes a good tire, but too pricey for most. It's also not much better than the F1s or Nittos.

Tom
but the new BFG tread design is pretty darned cool though... although the Nittos and Toyos are pretty cool too.. see the bfg pdf file below..

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/gforce_ta_kdw.pdf

I am debating on riding my old tires until I get up Noth... no reason to put a couple of thousand worthless hwy miles on new shoes for the truck..
but I will see how the thread plays out and go from there..

Moonshine
08-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Ditto the previous comments about the Toyos. I have 54K on my Proxes so far, and I'll probably replace them in the next 2-3K. When I bought I mail ordered them from www.treadepot.com (http://www.treadepot.com) and had them mounted locally. Total cost, including S&H + mount/balance was $865 for a set.

bobbywade69
08-18-2003, 10:03 PM
I have the toyo's on my L and I have more than 30 passes and lots of street racing on them and the tread deepth has not moved much still have about 10k-15k left on them they only had half to tread on them when I bought the L too.