PDA

View Full Version : Yep! Heads are going to roll ...

my2002lightning
08-17-2003, 07:59 PM
where I worked last. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/nation/stories/081803dnnatfirstenergy.75d8.html

Hard to believe a day+ without electricity! :eek2: And there are 5-related deaths to the incident with tomorrow being the next real test of the NE electrical grid.

For the record, I loaded SAP data into Oracle star-schema datawarehouses using Informatica 6.1! :D

FirstEnergy was one of the tougher clients I've worked for since I've started in this line of work.:mad:

Ronald

dboat
08-17-2003, 08:26 PM
where I worked last. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/nation/stories/081803dnnatfirstenergy.75d8.html

Hard to believe a day+ without electricity! :eek2: And there are 5-related deaths to the incident with tomorrow being the next real test of the NE electrical grid.

For the record, I loaded SAP data into Oracle star-schema datawarehouses using Informatica 6.1! :D

FirstEnergy was one of the tougher clients I've worked for since I've started in this line of work.:mad:

Ronald
gotta log in to get the story.. can you cut and paste?

my2002lightning
08-17-2003, 08:38 PM
I s'pose ... :rolleyes::D

A dark month for power firm
Debt, pollution hamper owner of lines that may have triggered blackout
07:39 PM CDT on Sunday, August 17, 2003 Associated Press It's been a bad month for FirstEnergy. The Ohio-based owner of power lines that may have triggered the largest blackout in U.S. history was found guilty of pollution in early August, warned about its staggering $12.5 billion debt and forced to slash earnings estimates.
All this comes as the company is under close scrutiny for safety at its nuclear plant, which has been the subject of congressional hearings and an investigation by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
The drain on the company's financing – stemming mostly from cleanup of the shuttered nuclear plant – could make it harder for FirstEnergy to tackle any financial fallout from the outage.
According to a preliminary analysis, FirstEnergy – which owns four of the first five lines that failed – was experiencing unusual electric conditions as much as four hours before the blackout hit Thursday, sweeping across eight states and parts of Canada.
"What happened on Thursday afternoon is much more complex than a few tripped power lines in our system," said Todd Schneider, a FirstEnergy spokesman.
Still, he said the company didn't consider shutting down lines before the blackout.
"At the time, there was no reason to isolate it."
FirstEnergy said a system that is supposed to flash a red warning on computer monitors at the company's control center was not operational when the lines began failing Thursday afternoon.
The company benefited enormously from deregulation of the industry – which is being blamed, in part, for failed efforts to overhaul the power grid and modernize the lines.
Its Davis-Besse nuclear plant east of Toledo was shut in February 2002 for maintenance. A month later, it was discovered that boric acid ate through much of a 6-inch-thick steel cap on the plant's reactor vessel.
The company, awaiting a decision by the NRC before the plant can reopen, has been forced to buy power elsewhere to make up for the halt in productivity at Davis-Besse.

blueoval01
08-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Jeez, scolling through Dana's sig spent all kinds of energy .. :hammer:

dboat
08-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Jeez, scolling through Dana's sig spent all kinds of energy .. :hammer:

Yeah baby Yeah...

dboat
08-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Dude, why did you edit the story?:evil
I s'pose ... :rolleyes::D

A dark month for power firm
Debt, pollution hamper owner of lines that may have triggered blackout
07:39 PM CDT on Sunday, August 17, 2003 Associated Press It's been a bad month for FirstEnergy. The Ohio-based owner of power lines that may have triggered the largest blackout in U.S. history was found guilty of pollution in early August, warned about its staggering $12.5 billion debt and forced to slash earnings estimates.
All this comes as the company is under close scrutiny for safety at its nuclear plant, which has been the subject of congressional hearings and an investigation by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
The drain on the company's financing – stemming mostly from cleanup of the shuttered nuclear plant – could make it harder for FirstEnergy to tackle any financial fallout from the outage.
According to a preliminary analysis, FirstEnergy – which owns four of the first five lines that failed – was experiencing unusual electric conditions as much as four hours before the blackout hit Thursday, sweeping across eight states and parts of Canada.
"What happened on Thursday afternoon is much more complex than a few tripped power lines in our system," said Todd Schneider, a FirstEnergy spokesman.
Still, he said the company didn't consider shutting down lines before the blackout.
"At the time, there was no reason to isolate it."
FirstEnergy said a system that is supposed to flash a red warning on computer monitors at the company's control center was not operational when the lines began failing Thursday afternoon. The problem was traced back to faulty computer work done by one Ronald Q Brown. Mr Brown has yet to be located and questioned regarding his slovenly computer skills and his contribution to the failure of the electrical grid causing 50 million people to lose electricity last week.
The company benefited enormously from deregulation of the industry – which is being blamed, in part, for failed efforts to overhaul the power grid and modernize the lines.
Its Davis-Besse nuclear plant east of Toledo was shut in February 2002 for maintenance. A month later, it was discovered that boric acid ate through much of a 6-inch-thick steel cap on the plant's reactor vessel.
The company, awaiting a decision by the NRC before the plant can reopen, has been forced to buy power elsewhere to make up for the halt in productivity at Davis-Besse.

my2002lightning
08-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Mr. Boatman has a sense of humor I see ! :rll:

Wise-a$$! :D

When you 2 headed out for PA ?

Ronald

cpeapea
08-17-2003, 11:18 PM
so what exaclty caused all this crap? just some f'ed up power lines?

blueoval01
08-18-2003, 07:12 PM
Yeah baby Yeah...

:rll: :tu:

my2002lightning
08-18-2003, 09:17 PM
so what exaclty caused all this crap? just some f'ed up power lines?

That blame is being batted back-and-forth, but it's looking like FE didn't/couldn't manage an outage/failure somehow and it had some kind of domino effect all across the North East.

It's good to be back to TX is all I can say! :burnout:

Ronald

my2002lightning
08-20-2003, 12:34 AM
The funny thing is ... recruiters keep contacting me (even this evening via email) to go BACK up to OH to work for FE !

Whatever! :rll::D

dboat
08-20-2003, 08:49 AM
The funny thing is ... recruiters keep contacting me (even this evening via email) to go BACK up to OH to work for FE !

Whatever! :rll::D

Ronald,
are you trying to tell us that they are in such bad shape that they are trying to get you to come back? :evil

my2002lightning
08-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by my2002lightning

Whatever! :rll::D <HR SIZE=1>
Ronald,
are you trying to tell us that they are in such bad shape that they are trying to get you to come back? :evil

All I'm going to say is that "it's good to be marketable" and have "options". :D

I don't want to leave TX... this is OUR home now.

Ronald

my2002lightning
08-23-2003, 09:42 AM
What it looked like from above... :eek:
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/2536-3926-68271.jpg

The cool thing is, I see DFW, OKC and Tulsa, too! Chicago and the whole Left-Coast is lit up!

dboat
08-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Pretty wild, reminds me of 9/11 when they had those pics up of commercial jets in the air.. and it went to zero..
Dana

What it looked like from above... :eek:
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/2536-3926-68271.jpg

The cool thing is, I see DFW, OKC and Tulsa, too! Chicago and the whole Left-Coast is lit up!

my2002lightning
08-24-2003, 03:49 AM
Dana,

Just buy PLENTY of firewood/batteries/candles, etc, etc since PA was clearly in the BLACK up there ! :eek:

This is a bad omen for you 2 ! :hammer:

J/K! :D

Ronald y "L-driving Tender-Foot"

dboat
08-24-2003, 07:26 AM
Dana,

Just buy PLENTY of firewood/batteries/candles, etc, etc since PA was clearly in the BLACK up there ! :eek:

Ronald y "L-driving Tender-Foot"
Interesting.. they didnt lose power, but most of the computer networks went down, freakin isp's... but they seemed to be only down for a day.. so it wasnt too bad.. but now that it has happened, chances of it happening again will be remote.. besides, I heard they fixed someones programming goof when they were uploading SAP data using Informatica...:evil

my2002lightning
08-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by my2002lightning
Dana,

Ronald y "L-driving Tender-Foot" <HR SIZE=1>Interesting.. they didnt lose power, but most of the computer networks went down, freakin isp's... but they seemed to be only down for a day.. so it wasnt too bad.. but now that it has happened, chances of it happening again will be remote.. besides, I heard they fixed someones programming goof when they were uploading SAP data using Informatica...:evil

What more appropriate time for my first use of the :Bullshit smilie! :D

dboat
08-24-2003, 11:45 AM
What more appropriate time for my first use of the :Bullshit smilie! :D

:evil:evil:evil:postwhore

LOL...

Dana

L8 APEX
08-24-2003, 01:22 PM
Let this thread die before I sick Massta Tom on ya'll:eek:

dboat
08-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Let this thread die before I sick Massta Tom on ya'll:eek::rll:

ok Terry

my2002lightning
08-25-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
Let this thread die before I sick Massta Tom on ya'll:eek: <HR SIZE=1>:rll:

ok Terry

Masta' Tom ain't got game! :D

Tom hasn't posted up yet and refuted/challenged my claims as to my cul-de-sac/racin' and regulatin' superiority ! :eek2::tu:

"Where you at, Baby?!?" :d

Ronald