PDA

View Full Version : Well I just gotta tell this story

dboat
08-06-2003, 09:51 AM
I bought a used 2002 Acura TL 1.5 weeks ago. It had a little over 48k miles on it, my wife took it the day I bought it and drove it with her mum to Mississippi and back that weekend.. I did get the oil changed before they left.
Anyway, it now has 49.4k miles on it.. I take it to the dealer for its 45k mile checkup, (ouch!!) and mention to them this morning that at speed when you hit the brakes the steering wheel shimmies.. I think I have rotor warpage. I ask if this is covered under warranty.. he says yes, they will turn the rotors, also, he will check the brake pads to see if they are the new formulation, if they arent, they get changed too..

Holy Cow... I am thinking this is great stuff.. then I thought the obvious,,,

would Ford have done the same thing for me? :nono:?

hmmmm

Dana

98Cobra
08-06-2003, 10:12 AM
would Ford have done the same thing for me? :nono:?

Dana

Sure they would! If you complain to everyone at the dealership, then the reginal rep, and then to corporate.

As everyone knows, Acura is an extension of Honda. Check this out:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0307/11/b03-214829.htm

dboat
08-06-2003, 10:38 AM
Sure they would! If you complain to everyone at the dealership, then the reginal rep, and then to corporate.

As everyone knows, Acura is an extension of Honda. Check this out:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0307/11/b03-214829.htm

but that is exactly my point.. no yelling no complaining, just how many miles is on your car? it was less than the 50k warranty.. yes sir, we will cover it.. we'll turn the rotors and check the brake pads..

now granted I would have loved to have gotten new rotors.. but hey, call me reasonable... :evil

microsuck
08-06-2003, 11:38 AM
yeah, but who would mod a 1.5L car? O wait, rice boys, and they don't use the dealership, they take it to the import speedshop, or fix it with glue, primer, chickenwire and foil. No one likes to cover high performance vehicles, period. I got everything done for my old f150, everytime for free, no questions asked.
Andrew

98Cobra
08-06-2003, 12:57 PM
yeah, but who would mod a 1.5L car? O wait, rice boys, and they don't use the dealership, they take it to the import speedshop, or fix it with glue, primer, chickenwire and foil. No one likes to cover high performance vehicles, period. I got everything done for my old f150, everytime for free, no questions asked.
Andrew

Ford isn't just trying to screw performance vehicle owners though. Some recent examples:

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/powertrain/6.0powerstroke_injectors.htm

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/trucks/expy.rustedseats080403.htm

Now, don't get me wrong, they aren't always bad...but when Honda is saying that customer satisfaction is Job #1, if I were Ford I wouldn't be doing any "silent" recalls. People appreciate honesty - companies are made of people, and people do screw up sometimes. Being forthright and up front can make a big difference.

Silver_2000
08-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Garland car dealer chimes in about Warranty cut backs

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0308/06/c01-234479.htm

Garland, Texas, dealer Jerry Reynolds said another major revision of warranty labor rates could cause a severe backlash among dealers and technicians.
"The cuts they made in 1999 were very serious," he said. "If they do it again, I don't know what will happen, but it won't be good."

L8 APEX
08-06-2003, 02:01 PM
The dealer warrantied my stock rotors @8K miles when they cracked straight through no pads though. Problem is stock is stock and they cracked again in 2K miles. You did right by replacing them with high performance units:tu: Of course there are always the Brembo's:bows
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/209-608-5198.jpg
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/209-608-9860.jpg

whitelightning'02
08-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Hey Dana,
Yes, the Acura warranty is great, one of my other cars is a 98 CL 3.0. I haven't had to do anything to it. They even fixed the powerwindow when the motor went out at 36k. I get a whopping 1k discount 'cause I'm a registered Acura owner. Go ricers! Still can't beat the L, It's just not as fun to drive:tu:

Lee

:beer:

dboat
08-07-2003, 12:16 PM
I got my Acura back yesterday.
As an aside, when I bought it, it came with one master key, one valet key and one remote keyfob. So I had the dealer cut me another master key and I needed a memory 2 keyfob. The Acura has a cool thing, where the drivers seat memory is tied to the keyfob, so that when you unlock the door and open it, the seat moves to the memory position for that keyfob.. way cool since I am much larger than my wife, getting into the car after she has driven it is pretty difficult..
Anyway, I pay for the car, and they are bringing it around. I check for the new key and its not there but the new keyfob is. I bring it to the attention of the service writer. He goes all over the car looking for it, then goes back to check with the tech, etc.. meanwhile Wayne and I are sipping a cool "free' beverage in the waiting area.. He comes back to me and apologizes for the inconvenience and tells me that since the car was there for two days, the least they could do was get me a new key, so he then says the key is on him and they are taking the cost of it off of my bill.:eek2:
So then I ask him if one of the techs could come around and let me slip him some cash to swap my Hi beam bulb and fogs for some Silverstars that I just bought (the low beams are HID). The service writer, who was once a tech for 9 yrs) does the job himself in the driveway:eek2::eek2:. I offer him a gratuitous tip and he declines it twice..
I dont know, but that is some pretty darned good service to me.. I was most impressed from the very beginning.. Andrew,the TL has a 3.2L engine, so its not a complete dog and I wont ricer it out.. just a rear spoiler is all..
Dana

Mark #2
08-07-2003, 01:10 PM
The SO has a TL too. They are nice cars and the Acura dealerships are great. Last week we had the 30k service done and they gave the SO a new RSX as a loaner for the day, free of course.

As opposed to Ford making me pay for a Dodge PU for my intercooler service.

dboat
08-07-2003, 02:39 PM
The SO has a TL too. They are nice cars and the Acura dealerships are great. Last week we had the 30k service done and they gave the SO a new RSX as a loaner for the day, free of course.

They offered me one too!! but I told them I had to ghetto around in my L...:burnout: woo hoo

dboat
08-07-2003, 02:42 PM

Bought this car for a road car and winter beater up North.. so far, it surpasses all my expectations and keeps getting better.. the only things it doesnt do is lock your doors automatically and it doesnt have an auto headlight function.. it will turn them off though.. nice smooth ride and very very quiet, plus the Bose audio system is pretty nice too..

microsuck
08-07-2003, 03:01 PM
. Andrew,the TL has a 3.2L engine, so its not a complete dog and I wont ricer it out.. just a rear spoiler is all..
Dana
My bad, you said it was a 1.5 in the first post. Cool setup with that service though. Texas Motors ford in weatherford is almost that good. Well, maybe they were just nice cause I bought a $33k truck from them:hammer: Loose the spoiler, you shouldent need it anyway. I wonder how much nos that motor will take?:evil

dboat
08-07-2003, 03:51 PM
My bad, you said it was a 1.5 in the first post. Cool setup with that service though. Texas Motors ford in weatherford is almost that good. Well, maybe they were just nice cause I bought a $33k truck from them:hammer: Loose the spoiler, you shouldent need it anyway. I wonder how much nos that motor will take?:evil

1.5 weeks ago...my bad communication... sorry

microsuck
08-07-2003, 04:42 PM
so what does that thing do in the 1/4:D

dboat
08-07-2003, 04:49 PM
so what does that thing do in the 1/4:D

it'll run in the 10's... :rll:

Tex Arcana
03-25-2004, 05:41 PM
but that is exactly my point.. no yelling no complaining, just how many miles is on your car? it was less than the 50k warranty.. yes sir, we will cover it.. we'll turn the rotors and check the brake pads..

now granted I would have loved to have gotten new rotors.. but hey, call me reasonable... :evil

In my humble opinion (and personal experience), once a rotor warps, tha'ts pretty much it, it's never going to be right again. I don't know *HOW* many times I've had a rotor warp, or seen one warp, taken it in for turning and new pads, then have it warp again, within a couple thousand miles (sometimes MUCH sooner). :(

The fact is, if the rotor warps, it's because of an internal molecular dislocation of the material, and that dislocation will just continue to creep, and eventually separate into a crack.

So when they warp, REPLACE THEM, no matter what arguments you have to make to get it done.

Silver_2000
03-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Article in paper showed Ford losing ground to imports worse than anyone...

Tex Arcana
03-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Article in paper showed Ford losing ground to imports worse than anyone...

Alot has to do with the percieved quality, not to mention the warranty things..:(