PDA

View Full Version : How the !@#$ do I get this JDM pulley off?

SILVER2000SVT
07-30-2003, 11:46 PM
I'm trying to get this JDM pulley off. The last time I used a good Craftsman closed end wrench on the small hex and used so much force it ripped the points off, so I ended up taking out all the screws and using a big pipe wrench on the big hex. That seemed to work pretty well, so I did the same thing this time. Well this time I broke the press fit between the big hex and the shaft. It won't come off, and just spins on the shaft.

So the hub pretty much all but destroyed since I've been jacking with it, but I still can't get it off? I need help or ideas....please!

L8 APEX
07-30-2003, 11:55 PM
I feel for you, JDM pullies don't come off easily and only in pieces:hammer: I use a combination of torch, air hammer, pipe wrench and 5' cheater pipe. If I remember the hex bots soem off with the pulley then the large threads take off the bracket and hub assy. It is not press fit it is threaded onto the stud. If you broke that then try to get the cage off and work on the stud. Then what you have left is a center stud that screws into the crank. That will come off with a pipe wrench, cheater, torch and air hammer. Don't forget to lock the tranny, the hub adapter cage thingy is standard thread, take the 15mm nuts out of it of course. Don't forget that a 00 the center adapter bolts to the crank with three 13 or 15mm bolts.Hope that helps.:tu:

SILVER2000SVT
07-31-2003, 12:13 AM
I've been through most of this already and am now stuck. :hammer:

The problem I have now is that the only part that is exposed, that I can grip with a pipe wrench, spins free on the shaft. The shaft with the small hex and that threads into the main crank pulley is not exposed at all. The only thing I can think of right now is to cut through the hub with the big hex, but thats a couple of inches of solid metal to cut through.

Maybe I can drill through the hub and shaft and pin the two together with a bolt then get the pipe wrench back to it. This is the best I can think of right now, but I'm so frustrated I can't think straight.

Will JDM replace this thing for me?

btw, I thought only the 99 had the three bolts that bolted the adapter to the crank? Mine just has the big threads.

L8 APEX
07-31-2003, 12:16 AM
JDM will send a stud I don't know about the whole assy. He will probably say it wasn't removed properly.. If you give up bring to the shop I'll get it off for 100 bucks:D Enjoy!

Silver_2000
07-31-2003, 12:24 AM
If you have the tools the 2000 has a flange the pulley screws into that you can remove with three bolts... The three bolts can be a pain to get to BUT likely less that cutting thru the pullley with a saws all ( like I did )

Doug

microsuck
07-31-2003, 08:57 AM
they dont............

L8 APEX
07-31-2003, 12:53 PM
they dont............
They don't what? They damn sure have removable hubs I declare it Lightning Law:D 99-00 are the same two piece, 01-up are the same 1 piece balancer design.

SILVER2000SVT
07-31-2003, 12:55 PM
Ok I got it off...THE HARD WAY...:d

It was on there so tight that I actually broke the snout off of the adapter and tore the mess out of the JDM pulley pieces. The bad part is that I even used antisieze when I put it on. So I had to go to the dealer and order another bracket before I can put the stock pulley back on. I could have got it for around $60 from fordpartsonline.com but it would take several days. Texan Ford charged me $80 and it will be here tomorrow. And hopefully I'll get it into the shop on Saturday.

Man, my last 24 hours have really sucked...I just hope it doesn't get worse.

L8... thanks again for the advice... I was confused by what you meant about the three bolts....I haven't looked at it that close until now...forgive my ignorance:bows

microsuck
07-31-2003, 01:59 PM
they dont............
come off.

Well, thats not too far from the truth.

99WhiteBeast
07-31-2003, 08:39 PM
Jason,

I have my stocker sitting in my garage- right around the corner from Mansfield

You can save yourself the $80

Next time go PSP

SILVER2000SVT
08-01-2003, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the offer Steve, If I would have known you had one I could have had it in the shop yesterday. Terry suggested that I ask some of you guys but I didn't because I was able to get it the next day. My thought is that by the time I posted and somebody responded and I arranged to go get it, it would have taken the same amount of time. And I really need to have one anyway, because if I borrowed one I would still have to give it back and I would have to go through this again if I needed to put the stock pulley back on some time in the future.

If JDM doesn't replace my pulley I will have to buy another one.

Which brands don't use that stock adapter?

L8 APEX
08-01-2003, 02:32 PM
If JDM doesn't replace my pulley I will have to buy another one.

Which brands don't use that stock adapter?
Nobody else uses the threaded pulleys.