PDA

View Full Version : Keith Craft dyno day

L8 APEX
07-26-2003, 03:35 PM
I don't think the dyno was consistent at all. I did enjoy meeting some new folks. It is nice to poke my head out of the Evil Lab once in a while:banana: I got up at 6am and knocked out two cars so I could leave and go to the dyno. Then we got to eat lunch at Bonedaddy's and looky around. Time for a shower and a nappy nap fool!

dboat
07-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Well I think everyone had similar results today. Low, bumbling, malfuctioning runs. The tach pick up had problems, stock trucks were dynoing 320hp etc..:Bullshit

True, But I would like to thank Crawford for getting the ball rolling and Tom Liss for pulling it all together at the end... :tu:

Dana

my2002lightning
07-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Odd! Think the "off" numbers could be attributed to an off-calibrated dyno equip./hot-weather/off L tunes or a combo. of any 3 ?

I had a good time just hanging out for a while. First dyno session to check-out for me.

Ronald

Natetrun
07-27-2003, 07:36 PM
Odd! Think the "off" numbers could be attributed to an off-calibrated dyno equip./hot-weather/off L tunes or a combo. of any 3 ?

I had a good time just hanging out for a while. First dyno session to check-out for me.

Ronald
i dynoed lower baselines at Speedworks just a few weeks before. Pisses me off. I don't know what to think.Maybe no one calibrates their dynos around here. :confused: I have enough work in my truck to pull 380ish minimum!

dboat
07-27-2003, 08:01 PM
that my numbers were that bad given the heat and humidity...

TxBolt
07-27-2003, 09:08 PM
I had 4 run cause thay messed up on 2. The gauge fell out the exaust and the other the overdrive was left on. It cost me 80.00 total. I had no idea how to do it so thay drove it for me. I had some that were 20hp differance. Since it was a new dyno , you don't think it was calibrated? So where's all the numbers? :burnout:

Crawford
07-27-2003, 11:17 PM
It was a good time for sure. I dont think I will be going back to that dyno. The numbers were just weird. I pulled a good number on my first run but the second run was 32 HP less than the first and the third run was 13 HP higher than the 2nd run. There was an equal amount of cool down time between all runs. Just weird.

1st run
Swanson Race
391/487

2nd run
Swanson Warm Street
359/450

3rd run
Swanson Cold Street
372/467

On the Speedworks dyno the difference between the cold and warm street programs was very little unlike on this dyno. I also noticed the AFRs were reading a full point leaner then Speedworks.

jmlay
07-28-2003, 12:02 AM
I hear ya on the A/F. Not to mention that there is very little diff. between the numbers from my last trip, prior to the pulley:

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=66212&anum=4307

I know I am running a 2lb without chip, but... These can not be right! Needless to say I will be getting a wideband and a chip soon.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=66213&anum=4307
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=66214&anum=4307

Mike

It was a good time for sure. I dont think I will be going back to that dyno. The numbers were just weird. I pulled a good number on my first run but the second run was 32 HP less than the first and the third run was 13 HP higher than the 2nd run. There was an equal amount of cool down time between all runs. Just weird.

1st run
Swanson Race
391/487

2nd run
Swanson Warm Street
359/450

3rd run
Swanson Cold Street
372/467

On the Speedworks dyno the difference between the cold and warm street programs was very little unlike on this dyno. I also noticed the AFRs were reading a full point leaner then Speedworks.

L8 APEX
07-28-2003, 12:12 AM
that my numbers were that bad given the heat and humidity...
Weather should not interfere with the SAE corrected #'s.

dboat
07-28-2003, 08:14 AM

Thanks, I didnt know that. So I did get some marginal value from the microtuner. I will probably go back to Speedworks to go one run just to see what their numbers say then, or maybe over to the Mustang place.. heck I'll just dyno all over town to see what my best numbers are and use those,,, :hammer: its only money, right?

I will prob pay the money to get one more run at Speedworks just to compare..

TxBolt
07-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Does everyone have Swanson chips? What are their background? A place I can check out and it appears their all 3 way?

L8 APEX
07-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Does everyone have Swanson chips? What are their background? A place I can check out and it appears their all 3 way?
I think his company is Swanson Performance in CA. He tunes Autologic single, flip, and 4 way chips like PSP uses.

blueoval01
07-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Does everyone have Swanson chips? What are their background? A place I can check out and it appears their all 3 way?Crawford and Sixpipes use Swanson.
Those are two that I know of ....... :cool:

Silver_2000
07-28-2003, 11:26 AM

In my opinion the Lightning is MUCH more sensitive to weather than the SAE mustang dynos can compensate for. We simply make GOBS more power in the right weather. The SAE correction helps. BUT doesnt aloow for the HUGE changes in power My lightning sees.

Doug

cpeapea
07-28-2003, 03:20 PM
that makes sense, but do you think you could lose about 20 hp due to weather even with sae correction? just curious, this is the first time i have dynoed this truck so i have nothing to really compare with. maybe ill have it dynoed again on a cooler drier day and compare

Sixpipes
07-28-2003, 03:39 PM
that makes sense, but do you think you could lose about 20 hp due to weather even with sae correction? Easy to lose 20 rwhp on a 90 degree day say compared to 60 degrees F. Thats one of the reasons I'll only dyno in cooler weather. Doug is right. SAE corrections are OK, but for a supercharged motor, the SAE doesn't account for exponentially higher temperatures (power loss due to high air/fuel mixture temps) because of the higher ambient air temperature. Dyno in October through March and you could gain more than 20 rwhp particularly if you have cool temperatures and low humidity. That's the main reason you can't set any records in the summer. Less rwhp = slower ET. No magic. Now if you want to negate most of the problem, just add a 50-shot and you've solved your high air/fuel temperature problem.

Crawford's 391 rwhp is excellent considering the temps on Saturday. That's an easy 400+ rwhp in cooler weather SAE correction or no. I will say from what you guys have said, there are some issues with the dyno you guys used at Keith Craft. I've run on a lot of different dynos and have never seen that kind of a spread in a single session. :cool:

andy_cain
07-28-2003, 03:47 PM
What Dennis said:beer:

I agree totally. Mine actually seems to run fater with a 75 shot

11.1 to 1 with the 75 shot (see dyno in 1/4 and 1/8 section under "Dyno Sheets":evil

Also agree with Doug...no way to TRULY compensate on the dyno for the 90+ degree temps...Lightning no likey:hammer:

dboat
07-28-2003, 03:57 PM
that makes sense, but do you think you could lose about 20 hp due to weather even with sae correction? just curious, this is the first time i have dynoed this truck so i have nothing to really compare with. maybe ill have it dynoed again on a cooler drier day and compare

the humidity, according to the readouts at the dyno, were reading the humidity between 40-50%.. I dont think that is too bad for Dallas. What would be optimum to realistically get in Dallas? the temp was pretty consistent at or around 90. I would like to get it done at 60 degrees.
so Doug, do you think that the dyno at KC or all of them in town just wont deal well with the temp diff on our L's??
Dana

Natetrun
07-28-2003, 04:03 PM
I will probably be going to another dyno session soon. I'm a member of a bunch of car boards, so I might go out somewhere with dfwstangs. Alotof people use MMT. but isee another dyno session in the near future. I don't my nitrous results with the a/f were too correct. they seemed a tad bit leaner than what it should be.

cpeapea
07-28-2003, 08:58 PM
yea i think their sniffer was screwed too, im supposed to be runing a fairly safe tune but they registered lean. someone else said that they ran a whole point leaner there than at speedworks

dboat
07-28-2003, 09:02 PM
How do we know if Speedworks or KC is right then? One could make the case that KC's numbers would be better due to newer equipment..

what say you guys?

Dana

Natetrun
07-28-2003, 09:06 PM
How do we know if Speedworks or KC is right then? One could make the case that KC's numbers would be better due to newer equipment..

what say you guys?

Dana

i dunno...think I'm going to go use mmt's. the car guys never bad mouth their dyno.

Mark #2
07-29-2003, 09:11 AM
I agree with the comments on this dyno being strange.
My A/F's were 12.8 at Keith Craft versus 10.0 at Speedworks.
Same chip as always, 398 HP, 397HP, and 393HP. ~420HP on all three runs if I count the torque converter unlock spikes.

99WhiteBeast
07-29-2003, 11:11 AM
I have no basis to say it is off since this was my first time at the dyno.
Overall I'm pleased with runs based upon my mods (CAI and 2LB-NO CHIP)
1a= 355HP/434 TQ
1b= 353HP/411TQ
1c= 350HP/408TQ

A/F was 11.5 to 12 on each run- overall the BEAST is strong and consistent

tliss
07-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Everybody saw how :flaming: I was after my three pulls. I was 20 HP off on my first run on the summer street program, and my last run was on the stock program on my chip, yet I only netted 325 HP (with 4# lower pulley, air intake, etc)??:Bullshit My stock truck (no mods) ran close to 345 and this program and current mods ran 360 last time I dynoed, with no changes since that last measurement!!! Everybody was off, it looks like...and needless to say it was not a happy day for any of us.

Man, I need to get this chip reburned!

Tom

microsuck
07-29-2003, 06:47 PM
tom, whats up with that? 325! KC is messed up. I hit 385 with your same setup. 60hp! no way.