PDA

View Full Version : L8Apex Truck actually makes noise!!!

Logan
07-19-2003, 03:07 PM
Fo Shizzle yo nizzle biatch!

Vizzle da izzle erizzle. Clickizzle herizzle (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1Terrys_Truck.wmv)

andy_cain
07-19-2003, 07:10 PM
:beer:
Beefy sound:tu:

L8 APEX
07-20-2003, 12:37 AM
:beer:
Beefy sound:tu:
It runs okay, maybe ready to drive tomorrow:banana:I will call her "The not so stock Lightning":D

Sixpipes
07-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Fo Shizzle yo nizzle biatch!

Vizzle da izzle erizzle. Clickizzle herizzle (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1Terrys_Truck.wmv)
Gee whizzle. Dats da shiznits. :cool:

L8 APEX
07-21-2003, 12:51 AM
I got her out on the road today:banana: I logged about 40 miles of easy highway cruising not much boosting:twitch: After 7 months of down time and a crapload of dinero I am pretty much paranoid:eek2: So I will just putt it around and let it break in. I made sure to run the large muffler so it has a nice mild tone and cruise. I'm too old for the loud crap:hammer: I think I got the setup right the tranny and motor feel awesome, smooth rpms, firm shifts.

Logan
07-21-2003, 07:12 AM
That's great to hear Terry, it's been tooooooooo long eh...

my2002lightning
07-21-2003, 11:45 PM
How many engines/trans/etc. does this make ? :confused: :D

L8 APEX
07-22-2003, 12:04 AM
How many engines/trans/etc. does this make ? :confused: :D
2nd engine, I consider the stock motor just a loaner until you buy a real engine. The tranny I would say the third, it ran fine but since it was out I decided to freshen it up. My 01 had a J1 code tranny and they revised some really bad idea's in the 5X or 02 to current unit. This Art Carr kit and converter feels real good so far:beer:
Rob is trending blown motors and has deduced that all he knows of have occured in cold air and high speeds (over 100mph). Those motors being mine, Mike's and Joe's.

Crawford
07-22-2003, 12:13 AM
Good to hear you got the hooptie running again Terry. How much did the short block set you back? Did you install it yourself? What is a typical labor cost on a swap out? I need to know the answers to these questions so I can prepare myself for the inevitable. :D

L8 APEX
07-22-2003, 12:26 AM
Good to hear you got the hooptie running again Terry. How much did the short block set you back? Did you install it yourself? What is a typical labor cost on a swap out? I need to know the answers to these questions so I can prepare myself for the inevitable. :DI bought the long block with heads and cams. JDM's quotes change like the weather:hammer: Last time he quoted 9450 for a long block w/ cams, and 4500 for a short block. I did all of the install from a pile of parts and bucket of bolts the dealer left in the bed of the truck after their waranty teardown of $700 bucks! I borrowed a few customer's trucks to see what went where a few times;) I would have to research a correct labor rate on R&R motor probably around a grand done right. You might have to drop the trans as part of the process. Mine was already out and made motor install a lot easier.

L8 APEX
07-22-2003, 12:32 AM
I have about $14 grand in parts in my rebuild between motor, tranny, headers & exhaust system, heat exchanger and other random goodies:vomit:I definately can't sell it now:hammer: The Brembo rotors are cracked from TMS last year, those are $500 bucks each. The tranny took 19 qts of Mobil1 ATF that is about a hundred bucks:eek2:

Crawford
07-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Damn man! I guess I better pray mine doesnt blow huh? I cant afford it! :)

When your motor blew was there any damage to the heads or valves or anything like that? Is there usually damage to the heads when motors throw rods?

L8 APEX
07-22-2003, 04:30 PM

When your motor blew was there any damage to the heads or valves or anything like that? Is there usually damage to the heads when motors throw rods?
The valves and spark plugs got beat but they are salvageable. My other choice was to buy a low mile pull out motor for 2500.

L8 APEX
07-22-2003, 04:30 PM

The valves and spark plugs got beat but they are salvageable. My other choice was to buy a low mile pull out motor for 2500.

L8 APEX
07-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Sound clip of the idle:cool:
I can't get the URL tags to work if you want to fix it.
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1MVC-001V.MPG (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1MVC-001V.MPG)
about 1MB.

my2002lightning
07-22-2003, 07:04 PM
D#mn! Good to see a REALLY c#ck-strong L running around DFW! :tu:

Any plans for a dyno run to see HP/TQ #s?

L8 APEX
07-22-2003, 11:08 PM
D#mn! Good to see a REALLY c#ck-strong L running around DFW! :tu:

Any plans for a dyno run to see HP/TQ #s?
Almost have 200 miles on her today. I will probably dyno before L Fest to check the tune for road racing. JDM has installed about 50 of these engines. They all dyno around 525rwhp and 650tq. That is w/ 6# pulley, I am running a 4# for road racing but have a few other touches that should make a little hp:beer:

my2002lightning
07-22-2003, 11:19 PM
L8Apex,

Do you know if Ruslow is running one of those 50+ engines?

He's been running JDM engines a while and haven't heard "-" comments.

Ronald

L8 APEX
07-22-2003, 11:24 PM
L8Apex,

Do you know if Ruslow is running one of those 50+ engines?

He's been running JDM engines a while and haven't heard "-" comments.

Ronald
Yep, Stan has one of the original ones with noisy pistons on cold startup. Mine has the revised pistons and is quiet. He is running in the 180mph class of Silver State with his truck. He said he has over 500 race miles on it now with no problems:eek2: He said to run the 4# lower with the Fluidyne heat exchanger and I will be okay. So I am:tu:

my2002lightning
07-22-2003, 11:47 PM
Yep! Looks like JDM has quite a following... http://www.onelapofamericatruck.com/2002_one_lap.htm

I undersand Ed lives in Plano...

Ronald

Crawford
07-23-2003, 12:00 AM
Terry,

Are you going to go to the dyno on Saturday? I know its a drive but it would be nice to see what she's got!

L8 APEX
07-23-2003, 09:20 AM
Terry,

Are you going to go to the dyno on Saturday? I know its a drive but it would be nice to see what she's got!
I have cutomers all day and I don't want to dyno a 200 mile motor. It is pretty well know what these crate motors are putting out.