PDA

View Full Version : Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Moonshine
05-24-2002, 02:48 PM
Well, I've joined the ranks of those who have blown a spark plug out of the head. Last night, going home from work, just cruising down the highway, and Bang!, Bap, Bap, Bap, Bap. Chunk it in neutral, pull over to the shoulder, and diagnose this most ominous noise. Actually, it sounded very similar to the noises I heard when I had a squad car shot out from under me about 10 years ago. The problem becomes apparent when I see the #3 plug from the driver's side laying on top of the intake and the coil pack is all ****eyed. No real tools with me, no spare plug, etc. Call L8 Apex, who loads up some tools and comes to the rescue. We unplug the injector for that cylinder, and I limp to the house. Thinking it unlikely we can find the right plug at any local parts store we drive to Terry's shop and pick up more tools and a couple of factory plugs. Back to my house, and we can't get a new plug to thread into the head.

This morning I call the dealer I'd taken the L. to for my IC recall last fall. I explain that I'm way out of warranty, but they installed these plugs when they did the IC recall, so......... They won't guarantee that they'll cover it under warranty, but he promises "they'll work with me". They send a wrecker, and off it goes to the dealer. If I end up having to pay for the repairs I figure I'll have more recourse with the zone rep if I have the repairs done at the same Ford dealer who installed the plugs. That's where it stands now, and I don't expect to learn anything before next Tuesday.

Logan
05-24-2002, 03:12 PM
Ouch.

:(

Silver_2000
05-24-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Ouch.

:(

What he said...

98Cobra
05-24-2002, 03:50 PM
Hope this doesnt knock you down into the 13s, Brian.

If it does, at least I'll have some more company, right?

Hoe it works out.

blueoval01
05-24-2002, 05:11 PM
.. and right before a long weekend.

Moonshine
05-24-2002, 05:17 PM
Update: The dealer just called, they've looked at it, and the threads on the head are trash. He says it needs a complete new head, head bolts, etc. Total repair cost of $2000. He says they'll warranty just over 75%, and I'll be responsible for $480. I told him to go on and get started, and I'll decide later whether or not to argue over the $480. He won't be able to order the head until Tuesday, so he doesn't know whether or not he'll have it fixed before the end of next week.

L8 APEX
05-24-2002, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the pizza! That po-dunk shop make a good pie:tu: I think that is a fair deal for being 16K out of warranty. Mark#1 and I have started checking our plugs every 7-10K miles. Listen for the exhaust leak sound before they "blast off!". At least I learned where Venus was and got a cool tour of the back roads of Hood and Johnson counties :D

I just called and checked wholesale pricing on a 00' L head assy. They come fully assembled with cam and all. List was about 1050, net was about 850. I fogot to do a locate. I am jsut about sure they are in the warehouse local.

tliss
05-24-2002, 06:05 PM
Now you've got me all worried about the trip back to DFW. I'm out in El Paso now, and if I blow a plug on the way back that'll just suck :flaming: . I may end up towing a trailer with about 1000# of tile on it as well, which worries me more now. Thanks a lot guys. Brian, couldn't you have waited to blow a plug until AFTER I get back? :p

Later, Tom

No dancing nanner for this post

Sixpipes
05-24-2002, 06:12 PM
Brian,

So can you get the head from the dealer? I might be interested. :cool:

L8 APEX
05-24-2002, 06:15 PM
Tom L.
Remember you have program 1 if you get cheap gas in Mexico. Or if that load gets too heavy:tu: Oh yeah! remeber program 4 anto-theft so nobody drives off with your truck at night:eek: It's nice to have chioces:D

Dennis, I bet the dealer will keep it for return under warranty:rolleyes:

tliss
05-24-2002, 06:17 PM
Sixpipes, you just opened up a lot a good "head" jokes, and I am not about to go there! However, I'm sure somebody will.

Hey Terry, If I do decide to tow this crap back from El Paso (650 miles), sould I run the stock program on the chip or pull the chip completely? I don't want to screw up the engine because I decided to tow. I'm guessing it'll be about 1000# of tile and couple of hundred for the trailer.

Tom

tliss
05-24-2002, 06:19 PM
Posting at the same time, I see. Cool. Thanks for the input. No cheap gas in Mexico for me (this truck will NOT cross the border. The only problem is I can't get 93 octane. Program 1 it is until I get to the track tonight. I'll let you know what happens.
Tom

L8 APEX
05-24-2002, 06:21 PM
Heck no! don't pull the chip. That is why you got a 4 way is so you can leave it in and do anything with the truck;) 1 is towing which is basically stock with improved shifts, 2,3, then 4 is anti-theft so they can't even start it with the key in the ignition :D Have a good trip and leave my install alone:tu:

Reply to last: Just listen for the detonation out there. Even a stock program will detonate on cheap fuel!

blueoval01
05-24-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
Thanks for the pizza! That po-dunk shop make a good pie:tu: I think that is a fair deal for being 16K out of warranty. Mark#1 and I have started checking our plugs every 7-10K miles. Listen for the exhaust leak sound before they "blast off!". At least I learned where Venus was and got a cool tour of the back roads of Hood and Johnson counties :D

Thanks for the info. I was just about to ask "how do ya tell" when a spark plug is loose.
Dang, Terry has all the fun .... Pizza, star gazing and back road fun ......:d

Moonshine
05-24-2002, 10:33 PM
As Terry pointed out there is a warning sign of imminent spark plug liftoff. It's a tapping sound, similar to an exhaust leak. However, it is very faint. I knew the warning sign, yet it didn't click in my mind until I had the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. I went through a BK drive thru Thursday at lunch. While I was sitting at the window I heard a faint tapping, but I wasn't even sure it was coming from my truck. In retrospect, I realize I was getting the warning, and I ignored it. Note that I didn't make it another 20 miles after hearing the warning. And if I hadn't been sitting 18" from a building with the noise bouncing back at me I don't think I'd have heard it at all. So, for those who can learn from my misfortune, any unknown tapping/exhaust leak sounds should be IMMEDIATELY investigated, and hope you have the right tools handy.

Six, I'll keep this clean and respond based on the assumption that you're referring to the cylinder head. Normally, they're required to send major defective components back to the factory for analysis. I could ask if you wanted. If they don't have to return it I doubt they'd give it to me, but they might be willing to sell it to me. If you're interested name a max price that you'd want to pay and I'll see what I can do. Worst they can do is tell me no.

I think Terry and Mark 1 probably have the best plan - Make checking plug tightness a part of your regular maintenance somewhere in the 10K range.

L8 APEX
05-24-2002, 11:18 PM
Here is a pic of my 01' head @ 8K miles when I launched a plug at full boost and 100+mph. Now that was LOUD! Notice how there are no threads period. The plug even looked blow torched. I take a pride in mauling stock parts:d
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/209-608-6059.jpg

MadMax
05-25-2002, 12:09 AM
Moonshine..you have about 53,000 on that puppy? :D

You should call the Ford Zone Office and SVT....FORD owes you a new head..this is a big crock of **** :hammer:

Quality if Job#1 :confused:

mods? pulley?? yeah or neah? :D aka added boost..inquiring minds need to know.... :D

With the lack of durability Ford ESP Plus is standard fare IMHO

L8 APEX
05-25-2002, 12:17 AM
He just roller over 50K and no pulley just mild chip and old dirty filter:D

MadMax
05-25-2002, 12:26 AM
well this is further justification for a FORD fix....this is a durabliity issue plain and simple.....BULL**** :mad:

this makes about as much sense as the intercooler fiasco..

L8 APEX
05-25-2002, 01:07 AM
The problem is not L specific.. When they did mine last November the mechanics said all 5.4's do it. They had done 2 Expy's previous to mine.

MadMax
05-25-2002, 02:13 AM
The problem is not L specific.. When they did mine last November the mechanics said all 5.4's do it. They had done 2 Expy's previous to mine.

L specific or not...it is a moot point..you further reinforce Ford's obligation to repair the "known defect"

Badcarma
05-25-2002, 08:56 AM
I rather have NO chitttty or Banging, let alone lift offs!!!:nono:
I have 8500 miles on mine, I would be in the shop dancing around like this little guy!!! And I wouldn't be smiling!!:banana:

Sixpipes
05-25-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Sixpipes
So can you get the head from the dealer? :cool:
I don't think this is out of the realm of possibility. I've heard of folks getting screwed by the dealer so what's wrong with a little reciprocity? :cool:

Anyway, you'll have to excuse me. I've been suffering from INTAXICATION. :(

INTAXICATION (definition) - Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.

Moonshine
05-28-2002, 11:35 AM
My filter was not dirty! I had cleaned and re-oiled it less than two weeks before the explosion.

I do have a dumb question on this subject. Why is it that nobody has put a drop of blue Loc-Tite on the plug threads and then forgotten about this problem?

MadMax
05-28-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Moonshine
My filter was not dirty! I had cleaned and re-oiled it less than two weeks before the explosion.

I do have a dumb question on this subject. Why is it that nobody has put a drop of blue Loc-Tite on the plug threads and then forgotten about this problem?

Good Question...a very small drop would suffice...IMHO :tu:

Kinda like Bryl Creem...just a little dab will do it...of course the young folk won't know what I am talkin' about... :D

Snip-a-dee-doo-dah, snip-a-dee-ay...
:p

L8 APEX
05-28-2002, 01:26 PM
I would be concerned about galling or pulling threads out. I think heat also relieves Loctite?...

MadMax
05-28-2002, 02:53 PM
I would be concerned about galling or pulling threads out. I think heat also relieves Loctite?...

dad gummit...where are the Denso's??? :confused:

Schedule me in for an install as soon as you get the Denso's before I blow my top... :nono:

Personally, I have enough trouble as it is with my previous employer :D

L8Apex...I am about to do some power searching...since I have time on my hands :banana:

Moonshine
06-02-2002, 02:15 PM
Well, the parts have arrived, but aren't installed yet. They tell me they'll probably have it ready by Tuesday or so. Looks like I'll get it back just in time for the June meeting. Good news is it's been parked inside for the past week, so at least they didn't leave it out on the back 40. Also, on Friday they gave me a loaner, which I hadn't even asked for, so that was pretty good ofd them. I'm in another white truck, an '02 F150 XL with the mighty 4.2 liter V6. If they don't have mine ready by Thursday I guess I'll park next to Justin.:)

98Cobra
06-03-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Moonshine
If they don't have mine ready by Thursday I guess I'll park next to Justin.:)

Bwahahahah! :D

Moonshine
06-04-2002, 02:02 PM
The dealership just called, and my L. is ready, so I'll pick it up after work today. :d Guess I won't have to park next to Justin after all.:rolleyes:

Dennis, they said they do have to send the old head back to the factory, so no luck on getting it.

MadMax
06-04-2002, 03:32 PM
Hey Moonshine. :D Glad to see you got your truck back. I have a question....did you get out lock, stock and barrel...scott free? If not, demand they give you your old parts back. This is the LAW...hee.hee...

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/child/consumer/brochure/carepair.html

Authorization To Begin Repair Work

#6. "an indication that all parts which will be replaced or removed from the vehicle during the repair will be saved and placed in a plastic bag in the trunk of the vehicle, or else that they will be identified and exchanged for new parts"

:confused: :o

Moonshine
06-04-2002, 04:00 PM
Haven't picked it up yet, but last we talked I was going to be responsible for $480 of a $2000 repair bill. Since they're covering 75%+ under warranty I think the most I could argue for was 25% of the parts. They'd probably give me the plug, boot, and coil pack. :rolleyes:

MadMax
06-04-2002, 04:26 PM
You did good. :D It could have been worse. It might be time to raise hell again a la "intercooler fiasco". Ford is screwing us here. IMHO They have a problem. Is there a TSB? :nono:

I am e-mailing Babolt. He has contacts. I will ascertain what direction we can go with this. This has come to a head. :throw:

It appears 100,000 x 6 is the max on Premium Care from Ford. I have the 4 year/75,000 at 875.00. There used to be a guy on f150 (Ford Sales) who would sell these at discount. It seems all the old posters are just about gone over there :(

I have mucho time on my hands...