PDA

View Full Version : Printer-network-setup kind of thing

99WhiteBeast
07-13-2003, 01:36 PM
I currently have a printer hooked to my desktop's LPT1 port. I also use my laptop for work at home and use to run an A/B switch to print from the laptop.

I have since rearranged the office so the A/B switch doesn't really make sense. I could run a hellacious printer cable but that is not the route I want to go.

So the question is can I set the printer up on my laptop as a "networked" printer and print through my desktop so to speak to get to it.

The desktop is on Win95 and laptop on Win2000pro- I share my internet connection via a netgear 4 port hub and the printer is currently connected to the desktop's LPT1 port

Logan
07-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Windows 95?! {shudder}...

Silver_2000
07-14-2003, 05:55 PM
As Logan Mentioned Win95 is SCARY

If 95 will let you "share" the printer - It should be easy to print from any PC on your network to that printer.

If the PC can handle it do yourself a BIG favor and update at least to Win 98 SE - ( stay away from Win 98 ME )

99WhiteBeast
07-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Yea yea I knew I would catch some for this post. I've had Win98 upgrade in the box for a few years and was really dreading the upgrade.

With your comments I think I'll tackle it tonight-not sure what version I have though.

Any tips or tricks on the upgrade?

Logan
07-14-2003, 08:03 PM
Yeah, blow away the computer and install an operating system that's at less than 6 years old!!

:)

Crawford
07-14-2003, 09:17 PM
Dont take advise from Logan, he will have you running Solaris for Intel on that server if you arent careful!!! :roll

99WhiteBeast
07-14-2003, 09:58 PM
The upgrade was a piece of cake- now getting Win98 to see the Motorola cable modem has been a beating of untold proportions:hammer:

45 min upgrade
2 hour debacle unistalling/installing drivers- what a cluster

I would rather change plugs then do this chit:rolleyes:

my2002lightning
07-14-2003, 11:16 PM
2 PCs & 1 laptop all running Win XP Home sharing an HP all-in-on 2.0 USB printer through 1-2 hubs. No problems.

Plug and play's where's it's at !

Ronald

PS: Crawford, you ARE JOKING about the Solaris/Intel comment, aren't you? :hammer::roll

jmlay
07-15-2003, 01:04 AM
I am using a LanTronix MPS1 micro print server. It plugs into the connector on the printer and you plus a LAN cable into the other side. here is some simple setup to get the Static IP configured, not to bad. No printer sharing required. You just configure a printer port using the Static IP that you assigned the print server, a specific port using RAW protocol and you are good to go. I have used this setup with Win98, 2K and XP, not sure about Win95. As long as you can configure the printer port in 95 you should be good to go.

It works sweet!!!

Mike

MrsMy2002Lightning
07-15-2003, 01:24 AM
Yeah, blow away the computer and install an operating system that's at less than 6 years old!!

:)

heheh That's a good one.

http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~twin/images/smilies/BlueScreenA.gif

Silver_2000
07-15-2003, 10:55 AM
The upgrade was a piece of cake- now getting Win98 to see the Motorola cable modem has been a beating of untold proportions:hammer:
45 min upgrade
2 hour debacle unistalling/installing drivers- what a cluster

I would rather change plugs then do this chit

Did you "upgrade" or do a fresh install of 98 ?

Sounds like you are trying to use the USB connector to the cable modem. Does the cable modem have ethernet connection ? My comcast cable modem is ether net and USB and uses DCHP- using ethernet requires NO drivers - it assigns an IP address automatically. Couldnt be easier

Ethernet cards are only 10 bucks

Good luck

Logan
07-15-2003, 01:50 PM
Good luck is right...Windows 98 is a Dookie OS.

99WhiteBeast
07-15-2003, 02:18 PM
I did the upgrade.

Before the upgrade I was running a USB ethernet adapter from the modem to my desktop.

I could never get the computer to see the adapter so I'm running USB directly to the computer now.

My connection will stay up for awhile but every so often I get some type of DHCP error pop up then my desktop reboots. It has happened 3x today so far.

Called COMCAST they say since I'm running a hub I need 2 IP addresses and will require additonal 4.95 monthly:bs. This is the same setup I had before the upgrade minus the ethernet adapter and never had any issues.

99WhiteBeast
07-15-2003, 06:46 PM
I went ahead and got the ethernet card and went that route from my modem. The USB adapter is going in the trash. It works better this way to free up a port for my scanner.

All is good-now I'm just 5years behind the times:roll

Thanks for all the support and bashing:twitch:

Logan
07-15-2003, 07:39 PM
You're welcome, anytime you need a good bashing for using antiques, you just let me know... :)