PDA

View Full Version : Meeting policy change?

98Cobra
07-01-2003, 09:51 AM
A while back, probably a year ago or more, we discussed the options of rotating the meetings, voting, or staying in one spot.

I think it is clear from the Pom Pom's/BD fiasco that this needs to be revisited.

For the record, I am NOT against BoneDaddy's. I do want to believe there is more than one cool place in Dallas to have a meeting though, and I am the type that likes to try new places. Until this morning, I thought we actually might go somewhere different. That's OK with me that we aren't, but is mighty suspicious how it changed. :(

So to sum up, let's either officially pick BoneDaddy's to be our meeting spot every month, and put this issue to bed, or lets actually have:
Open voting - you shouldn't be ashamed of what you choose Informed discussion - get the facts before making a choice Majority rules - if you don't like it, too bad. (Yes, this includes me.)Sorry - this has just gone back and forth so many times its ridiculous.

BTW - for those of you who are for picking less risque faire for the meeting places to appease the S.O. - don't get too attached to BD's, because sooner or later people will start wanting to bring the kids too, and then we'll be meeting at Chuck E. Cheese. :tongue: Remember, its about the trucks, right? ;)

dboat
07-01-2003, 10:08 AM
I was going to post a thread on this very issue after the meeting. Please follow along as this may end up being a stream of thought post..

A couple of months ago, there had been a thread asking about changing the meeting from Thurs to Sat to get more SO's, wives, girlfriends, etc. involved in coming to the meetings. I believe the thought was out there about kids too.
There is enough interest in attending the meeting by enough folks that we should decide, for at least a period of time, what we are and why we meet and should this be a L owner/mostly guy thing, obviously if a female L owner showed up it would be a good thing...

Anyway,
question 1: Do we want this to be a GUY only kind of thing or do we want to involve our partner(s)?

question 2: Where and what type of establishment do we want to have this meeting located each month?

What I would like is for each person to post their thoughts, try to be at least a little bit serious on this one, or we can have a poll to get the vote on it if members want to have some level of privacy.

I will post my thoughts on the two questions:
1) I can go either way but would prefer no kids, and actually would prefer that it stay mostly guys. Its my one night of the month to get out with the guys and talk trucks and trash..
2) I would prefer to set the outer bounds of the meeting at a BD's or Hooters. I dont want this to become the titty bar Talon meeting or something of that ilk. I also dont want to spend the money on that type of establishment. I did plenty of that in my earlier years. If a group of guys wants to go there afterwards or at a different time, more power to ya.. Yes my spouse figures into this decision as well. I do this out of respect for her as well.

Well those are my thoughts.. If you guys want a poll, just say so and I will put one up there.

Dana

Logan
07-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Easy solution, a couple of us get together and create a 12 month schedule of where we'll be so everyone knows ahead of time and it isn't a great big debate.

I agree that the locations should be respectable establishments suitable for the entire family.

There's no reason the location can't change, but having the discussion month to month when there's no elected leader per se is stupid.

Soooooooooo, On Thursday, perhaps we should make a list of locations around the metroplex and we'll assign them to a month and post that list up.

Done deal.

dboat
07-01-2003, 10:22 AM
Easy solution, a couple of us get together and create a 12 month schedule of where we'll be so everyone knows ahead of time and it isn't a great big debate.

I agree that the locations should be respectable establishments suitable for the entire family.

There's no reason the location can't change, but having the discussion month to month when there's no elected leader per se is stupid.

Soooooooooo, On Thursday, perhaps we should make a list of locations around the metroplex and we'll assign them to a month and post that list up.

Done deal.

Thanks for responding.. I am glad you agree with the location types that I do.. but we should see what the other folks think too.. who knows?

L8 APEX
07-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Doug, Dennis, and I had a planning meeting in January but could not find a alternate list of meeting places that appealed to the masses. I really liked Pappa's because it is centrally located, had great parking and reasonable beer and food. I think we had the most members at thsoe meetings. There are several active racing/showing members that haven't made the last several meetings at BD's due to the hecktic commute 40+miles through downtown up to Richardson in 5 o clock traffic. 02 Bolt, Alpine, Trueblu02, Autothrottle, 99Whitebeast, Red2002, there are nearly a dozen members over here. So the problem is finding meeting spots in each area that the majority likes. South Arlington Hooters doesn't have good parking, or enough room for a good group meeting.
The meetings should be keyed towards kicking back and talking with friends about L's. Those that want to look for boobies should arrange it on their own and not for the monthly club meet.
I want a place that wives won't raxx about and a location that neither Plano or Arlington members will skip due to the drive. I want to be able to sit together like the large table at BD's, and good parking away form ijits.

blueoval01
07-01-2003, 11:01 AM

Done deal.
Agreed.
I do think we should schedule at least one or two meetings per year in South Arlington for the "Not in Dallas" folks. We had one at the Hooters off I-20 about 6 months ago? When we had the Talon stickers put on. The turn out wasn't too bad and as I recall everyone had a good time.

:o

99WhiteBeast
07-01-2003, 11:38 AM
I like the schedule thing so it can be set in stone prior to the cluster of picking a location a few days before a scheduled meeting.:rolleyes:

I'm constantly recruiting new members and when we don't have our chit together it does not look favorable on us.

I say we stick to BoneDaddy's each month (although I like the place- I also would appreciate some variety and a break in the drive from SW Tarrant county) until we can determine what the schedule should look like

microsuck
07-01-2003, 12:40 PM
When I first joined we were jumping from place to place. I kind of liked that. I like BD's but I think Papa's is more well rounded. Location and atmosphere. I think we should either have a schedule for the year or just pick a designated spot for life. My lifetime spot vote goes to Papas(with BD's a very, very close second). Even though I can practially see BD's from my apt.:rolleyes:
Andrew

tliss
07-01-2003, 01:09 PM

Maybe this meeting we can do business before we get to eating and chuggin' beers. I agree with Logan that we need to establish a calendar of events ahead to time. That way we all know what's coming and can prepare for it. I have a hell of a drive just about anywhere we go, living up in the boonies near Okerhomer, so if I know ahead of time where we are headed I can make accommodations for it. Let's take a few minutes at BoneDaddy's Thursday to discuss potential establishments, nail down 12 for the next months and carve it in stone. If anybody want's something different, there are around 29 other days a month they can do it!

Tom

98Cobra
07-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Good points by all. Some thoughts:

I am for nailing down a 12 month schedule.

I am for keeping it PG-13 - but if you think that boobies don't matter at all, you are kidding yourselves. http://www.svtlightnings.com/talon/2001/bonedaddys82/bonedaddy82.htm

Who's this guy? Hrmm.
http://www.svtlightnings.com/talon/2001/bonedaddys82/girls1.jpg

I too enjoy the monthly outing with the guys. Not that I mind when S.O's come out, but let's remember how this started, and what the majority enjoys. OTOH - I don't mean that to sound like I am advocating having the meeting at the Clubhouse next month or something. If it weren't so hot outside I would like Sonic again(boy it has been awhile since those days). Maybe it could be like the Stanley Cup - the players can take it most places but certain ones(like strip clubs) are not allowed.

I don't mind making a trip to BFE(Arlington) once or twice a year. We need to keep in mind that there is no way to please everyone in a group this large, no matter where we go. :(

As for Pappa's - I like my fries actually fried, not raw. The beers are cheap though. And I would hotly debate that we have had our biggest turnouts there. :vomit: I wouldn't mind a more central location over there, but I hope that isn't it.

Moonshine
07-01-2003, 02:58 PM
I'd also vote for a to avoid the topless bars. I think of Hooters or BD's as "family appropriate", so no sweat with either of those. I don't have any problem with any spouses or SO's that want to come, but my preferance would be to leave the kids home.

Crawford
07-01-2003, 03:13 PM
This argument goes back the the very first Talon meeting around 3 years ago when the turnout was 6 trucks strong! We argued about when and where on that one for a while too.

Its always going to be an argument as to the location of the meetings. I think the fair move to make would be to pick a few months worth of places around the metroplex and go with it. I think PG-13 is also the best move to make. I think we should keep the meetings on the first Thursday of each month.

I wish we could keep it at Bonedaddys forever but I know thats not fair. I think Pappas has the worst BBQ I have ever tasted and we have had some poor turnouts as well as decent ones. If we never went there again I would die happy.

Anyway, thats my thoughts on the subject.

microsuck
07-01-2003, 03:22 PM
now that I think about it the bbq wasnt really that great.....

98Cobra
07-01-2003, 03:28 PM
Instead of 12 months, let's come up with a 6 month calendar. That still gives everyone plenty of notice, but if a new place opens, or we decide one place sucks particularly bad, we can nix it when we come up with the next schedule. Sound good anyone?

dboat
07-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Instead of 12 months, let's come up with a 6 month calendar. That still gives everyone plenty of notice, but if a new place opens, or we decide one place sucks particularly bad, we can nix it when we come up with the next schedule. Sound good anyone?
I second that motion!!!:evil

I also liked Hooter Lewisville, lots of parking, on the interstate, typical Hooters food:vomit:.. but what else can a guy ask for?

Oh yeah, that we dont have a meeting far away from the house until I get my laser jammer and radar detector installed by Terry:evil:banana:.. Those trips home need to take as little time as possible..

Shiner1
07-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Where to start...IMO taking your SO to the monthly meeting is cool the more the better. I'm all for boobie bars and they ARE important, but not for truck meetings. Hard to talk trucks with boobies in your face but If one should fall out of a tight t-shirt while serving beer....BONUS. I agree with the no kids format. I love my kids but there are times that they should stay home. My 16 year old however, would like to see 15-20 lightnings lined up in parking lot. I do like the 12 month plan. As for location.....I live in Lewisville and drive to FTW. I can drive anywhere. Let's try to make it as easy for everyone as mush as possible.

-- John:beer:

Logan
07-01-2003, 03:53 PM
Silence Infidel. Superior ideas will not be tolerated.

98Cobra
07-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Silence Infidel. Superior ideas will not be tolerated.

Don't I know it :D

Silver_2000
07-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Shall I end this ? ..... Uh just give me a few minutes to come up with an ultimatum......;)

Logan
07-01-2003, 05:17 PM
What Ultimatum? We're goin' to Bonedaddy's dammit.

Anyone who doesn't like it can discuss it when you get there. ;)

MrsMy2002Lightning
07-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Ok, here's my two cents. I know, I know, you prolly don't want 'em but if you've ever heard that old saying "Telephone, Telegraph, TeleLaney" here goes... :twitch:

I think we should have 2 meetings every month. One for the North part of Dallas, one for the South part of Dallas.

Maybe have the one for the North part of Dallas the 1st Thursday every month and the one for the south part of Dallas the 3rd Thursday of every month.

That way if there are people that want to go to both meetings they can, if there are people that want to go to just the North or South side meeting they can. I'm sure there'll be a good turn out at both since there are no longer 6 Lightning fans out there. :)

------

As far as restaurants, you all know my opinion on the Ballet. So, I'll shup about that. My opinion is though, to do as previously suggested and pick 12 places. Maybe it is a good suggestion to only pick 6 and take a new vote every 6 months.

Everyone go through and find your favorite place as far as a meeting place and then we'll vote on it in a poll. The ones that receive the top 6/12 votes will be the places we'll go the next year.

Don't just pick any place or a place by your house. Make sure it's a big place, lots of table space(AND CAN MAKE RESERVATIONS), good parking, slow on Thursday nights, and good food!

------

As far as S/O's, Wives, Girlfriends, sure why not. Of course, I want to go! lol ... Kids, nope. This is a grown up thing and I think kids being there would take away from a lot of what you guys want to do, which is talk about trucks.

And how come you guys don't do like the vette type guys and do a cruise through the city once a month or something. I think that'd be AWESOME having all those L's together. HOTTNESS! hehe!

There's mah two cents. Hope it helps!

Logan
07-01-2003, 07:14 PM
We don't do the cruise thing or get more organized than a monthly meeting because to be honest, we're way too lazy, ain't got the ambition or willpower to sustain such an effort for more than a week.

dboat
07-01-2003, 07:17 PM
We don't do the cruise thing or get more organized than a monthly meeting because to be honest, we're way too lazy, ain't got the ambition or willpower to sustain such an effort for more than a week.

yep thats prob true

Logan
07-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Been there, done that, wrote the book, reprinted the book, burned the book, re-wrote the book and now it's published in 10 languages.

It's titled, "How to be lazy 101, a guide to being a Lightning owner"

98Cobra
07-01-2003, 07:57 PM

Truer words hath never been spoken. :cool:

No offense Laney, but as soon as I read "have two meetings", knowing this crew, I LOL. :)

Logan
07-01-2003, 07:59 PM
In fact, It's damn near tuckered me right out just typing these witty replies...Ugh...Off to bed!

my2002lightning
07-01-2003, 08:45 PM
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/2536-3926-64339.jpg

Pete: Wait a minute. Who elected you leader of this TALON outfit?

Ulysses: Well Pete, I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the TALON consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a TALON vote.

Pete: Suits me. I'm voting for yours truly.

Ulysses: Well I'm voting for yours truly too.

Delmar: Okay... I'm with you fellas.

:d

I'm all for Bone-Daddy's again! Hope to see everyone there!

Ronald

PS: Let's not forget this as an option as well ... http://www.daveandbusters.com/locations.asp#Anchor-top

L8 APEX
07-01-2003, 08:57 PM
My original idea was to rotate between three locations. That way it wouldn't be to confrstrating. I was thinking BD's, Pappa's and soem place like S Arlington Hooters or even N Arlington Hooters, maybe the Flying Saucer but that is a pub:beer:. I wil propose that for the rotation BD's, Pappa's, F Saucer. There you have N. Dallas, Central Dallas, and Arlington. All have plenty of beer and parking. I love this job, all of the love and support make it worth doing.:roll

blueoval01
07-01-2003, 09:20 PM
In fact, It's damn near tuckered me right out just typing these witty replies...Ugh...Off to bed!

"tuckered"??? :roll
Who the f**k you been hangin' with?:rolleyes:

Night, Logan.

MrsMy2002Lightning
07-01-2003, 09:43 PM
"tuckered"??? :roll
Who the f**k you been hangin' with?:rolleyes:

Night, Logan.

Oh My Word ! hehe

dboat
07-01-2003, 10:01 PM
My original idea was to rotate between three locations. That way it wouldn't be to confrstrating. I was thinking BD's, Pappa's and soem place like S Arlington Hooters or even N Arlington Hooters, maybe the Flying Saucer but that is a pub:beer:. I wil propose that for the rotation BD's, Pappa's, F Saucer. There you have N. Dallas, Central Dallas, and Arlington. All have plenty of beer and parking. I love this job, all of the love and support make it worth doing.:roll

Terry,

We love you man!!:roll

Dana

But the three location idea has merit.. :bows

98Cobra
07-01-2003, 10:27 PM

OK, but there HAS to be somewhere better in Central Dallas than Pappas. I'd rather meet at f'n Chili's or something.

Isn't there a Luby's near there? :tongue:

MrsMy2002Lightning
07-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Ok ... Ronald and I are going to accept this mission. We'll go around the BoneDaddy's area and see what types of places are around there that will be good to meet at. We'll report next week ... Can't get to it before the meeting ...

98Cobra
07-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Ok ... Ronald and I are going to accept this mission. We'll go around the BoneDaddy's area and see what types of places are around there that will be good to meet at. We'll report next week ... Can't get to it before the meeting ...

I know this may be asking a bit much, but you really should scout out Pom Pom's so you can give us the female perspective on the place. The plus side is that it isn't but just a little way down the freeway from Pappas BBQ, so maybe it would be considered as a Central Dallas location, if it is deemed un-strip-clubby.

Just a thought....

MrsMy2002Lightning
07-01-2003, 10:42 PM
We'll see Garett. Just might do that.

my2002lightning
07-01-2003, 10:48 PM
I need to get a patent attorney!

The MAN SHOW needs to open up a chain of L friendly party establishments throughout the country (with the first one opening off of Preston/Legacy here in Plano, TX) with plenty of parking, good food/beer and JUGGIES on trampolines !

Bill Gates started somewhere...:hammer::d

Ronald

Silver_2000
07-01-2003, 11:09 PM
Hmmm Seems like a year ago I asked someone to schedule meetings at various places around the metroplex and get them posted in the Calendar so folks would know in advance where we were meeting. Hmm who was that back then .... Have to search to find Terrys name....

I would say a 3 restaurant rotation would be cool.

Doug

dboat
07-01-2003, 11:18 PM

Doug

:tu::tu::tu:

L8 APEX
07-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Hmmm Seems like a year ago I asked someone to schedule meetings at various places around the metroplex and get them posted in the Calendar so folks would know in advance where we were meeting. Hmm who was that back then .... Have to search to find Terrys name....

Doug
I made a post earlier but it is gone:confused: Oh well, moral was yeah I tried to propose a 3 choice rotation but it got shot down by the Pappa's and Arlington haters.
I propose we make it BD's, Pappa's, and for the Arlington location pick one from (Flying Saucer, S Arlington Hooters, or N Arlington Hooters).:beer:

L8 APEX
07-01-2003, 11:33 PM
OK, but there HAS to be somewhere better in Central Dallas than Pappas. I'd rather meet at f'n Chili's or something.

Isn't there a Luby's near there? :tongue:The majority doesn't have a problem with Pappa's some even like it. I guess we need a list of central places and Arlington places to VOTE on:eek2::d

98Cobra
07-01-2003, 11:46 PM
The majority doesn't have a problem with Pappa's some even like it. I guess we need a list of central places and Arlington places to VOTE on:eek2::d

Well, I know you like it (you sure you aren't getting a kickback or something?) but I put up a poll(yes, another one) to see what some other people say about why they do or don't like it.

Logan
07-02-2003, 07:59 AM
Dave and Busters off walnut hill and 35E is a fine choice. They have a bar big parking lot, and are never all that busy.

98Cobra
07-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Dave and Busters off walnut hill and 35E is a fine choice. They have a bar big parking lot, and are never all that busy.

I knew some other ideas would roll in sooner or later! :tu:

MrsMy2002Lightning
07-02-2003, 08:07 AM

Hey they have the bar
The big HUGE parking lot
The inside is big enough at any time to handle room for all of us
The food was pretty good last time I was there
The service is pretty good
You can make reservations and they're used to it

That's a great idea! Good job Junior!

Shiner1
07-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Second D & B's for a third location.

-- john

microsuck
07-02-2003, 10:03 AM
ditto

my2002lightning
07-02-2003, 07:04 PM
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/2536-3926-64339.jpg

Pete: Wait a minute. Who elected you leader of this TALON outfit?

Ulysses: Well Pete, I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the TALON consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a TALON vote.

Pete: Suits me. I'm voting for yours truly.

Ulysses: Well I'm voting for yours truly too.

Delmar: Okay... I'm with you fellas.

:d

I'm all for Bone-Daddy's again! Hope to see everyone there!

Ronald

PS: Let's not forget this as an option as well ... http://www.daveandbusters.com/locations.asp#Anchor-top

Uh...I think I suggested Dave and Buster's FIRST !:hammer: :d

L8 APEX
07-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Does anyone know the average cost of beer and a meal at DB's? We can't see our cars from inside.

Silver_2000
07-02-2003, 09:26 PM
Does anyone know the average cost of beer and a meal at DB's? We can't see our cars from inside.

How often do you get up from Dinner and BS'ing at BD's to look out the window ?

98Cobra
07-02-2003, 09:28 PM
How often do you get up from Dinner and BS'ing at BD's to look out the window ?

He shoots, he scores. :tongue:

blueoval01
07-02-2003, 09:36 PM
How often do you get up from Dinner and BS'ing at BD's to look out the window ?Uhh, last meet I did. To Bs with the ladies and behold there were windows. Elaine took some pics from up there.

my2002lightning
07-02-2003, 09:38 PM
I've only been to one Dave & Buster's (Columbus, OH on the way from Cleveland) and I remember that brews weren't cheap.

Also, there was a decent sized glass lobby/foyer/valet area. The rest of the place is big and lit-up/kinda' noisy like a casino, etc.

Laney's on the phone now with management at "party" places around DFW to accomodate a fair-sized group of Ls and their "thirsty" cost-concious pilots.

I'll have her post up when she's done. She has it all documented.

Ronald

MrsMy2002Lightning
07-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Here is another idea and the info on Dave & Busters ...

Check the new post ...
Couple of places to suggest and vote on ... Thursday at BD's ... (http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2780)

True Blue Aggie
07-02-2003, 10:51 PM
What about Keller's Hamburgers? What about Gator's in Euless, I think?