PDA

View Full Version : Photo Gallery is broke - Need input

Silver_2000
06-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Installing VB 3 has broken the photo gallery. It still works sort of but generates errors and you hav eto login 2 or 3 times to upload a picture

The current gallery software was free - But the developer has said he doesnt intend to "fix" it to work with VB3. So we have 3 options.
1) do nothing and deal with the broken gallery and the errors and muliple logins - Not my preference
2) Remove the Gallery all together
3) look at alternatives
The likely alternative is not free - Photopost is $149 - They intend to support VB3 in the near future. plus $49 a year to get updates and support.

So I am posting this poll to get the TALON members and espcecially the Talon Suporting members opinion. There are approx 34 supporting members. That means that we will be spending Approx $179 dollars this year of $340 total for software.

So I am looking for feedback do you value the Photo Gallery that much ?
Please Vote
Doug

Sixpipes
06-20-2003, 10:25 PM
The current one works for me, but if it is problematic, I will help support a good alternative gallery. :cool:

L8 APEX
06-20-2003, 11:14 PM
I don't like the idea of moving galleries again. I work a lot of pics over the net.

Silver_2000
06-21-2003, 12:04 AM
I don't like the idea of moving galleries again. I work a lot of pics over the net.

The current pictures are in flat files on the server. You wont lose any pictures BUT the URLs will likley change. I will set up new categories in any new Gallery so no one loses pictures.

I work hard at making these sites as efficient and effective as I can. Leaving the gallery the way it is wit the errors is NOT a viable solution to me.

One of the downsides to using FREE opensource type software is the developer can throw you the finger when it comes time to get something fixed or upgraded. I have sepent some time looking and havent found any other gallery software that meets the requirements so far. Logan also did the same search some time back and ended up with Photopost for his site

Doug

99WhiteBeast
06-21-2003, 02:02 AM
I find it a PITA to link and log into in its current state. I'm all for upgrading to a better solution.

Logan
06-21-2003, 06:58 AM
Doug, I've been milking my photopost license by merging the multiple mercury photopost sites over to a single URL.

I can easily set up a instance of photopost for the club, integrated with the existing talon user database, the only caveat being that the url would be http://www.mercurygallery.net/talon or something similar.

But it would save the $149... Up to you. Don't matter to me...

dboat
06-21-2003, 08:40 AM
with the upgrade.. I'll buy the new software if I get a lifetime membership to Talon...
Dana

my2002lightning
06-21-2003, 10:47 AM
I voted for PhotoPost.

But, can you load the .jpgs the same size as the original .jpg and post/display them in the webpage original size?

Just wondering...

Ronald

Silver_2000
06-21-2003, 11:02 AM
I voted for PhotoPost.

But, can you load the .jpgs the same size as the original .jpg and post/display them in the webpage original size?

Just wondering...

Ronald
The current gallery is set to keep folks with 6mp cameras from filing the server with 3 mb picture files that no one wants to dload.

I think the size limit is 1024x768 and the KB limit is 100k
Both are generous since viewing a picture at that resolution on most peoples screens would require scrolling - in some cases significant scrolling.

If you have a GREAT hi res pic that the world is dying to see I can upload it to the gallery using FTP.

Doug

Mark #2
06-21-2003, 08:40 PM
As most of you know I am very challenged when it comes to computers, I will support whatever ya'll decide.

Moonshine
06-24-2003, 01:54 PM
I like having the gallery, but I'm not competent to suggest a replacement.