PDA

View Full Version : Oracle81 and 73 ver2.5 driver question

99WhiteBeast
05-13-2003, 08:10 AM
My Oracle client was recently upgraded to 81 from 73 ver 2.5.

The software that I work directly on is being upgrade to the new version 8.1 but we still have several boxes on 7.3 in which I have ODBC connections established. Since the upgrade for the client I can no longer use the 7.3 connections. I assume the install removed or over wrote the existing drivers.

My question is can I establish new ODBC connections using the 8.1 drivers to connect to a 7.3 environment or would it be be best to find ( where?) 7.3 drivers and have them on my machine along with the 8.1?

Logan
05-13-2003, 08:32 AM
I guess being the resident DBA, I'm kinda obligated to say something eh?

Try going into the DSN configuration and checking the option "Disable MTS Support" for your 8i driver. That should help.

Basically, you'll want to remove or disable any of the bling bling features of the 8i driver since Oracle 7.3 is well....ancient and long since desupported.

99WhiteBeast
05-13-2003, 08:37 AM
Basically I want connections for both- some boxes are already upgrade to 81 and I need those ODBC connects while we still have a few boxes on 73 and need those connections as well.

Is it possible?

This will all go away in the next month during the upgrade process.

Logan
05-13-2003, 08:43 AM
The 8i driver IS backwards compatible, so long as you disable MTS support.

If you're getting an error after disabling MTS support as I've described, lemme know what the ORA error number is and I can probably advise further...

L8 APEX
05-13-2003, 10:55 AM
You need me to come over there and disable MTS Support! jackass:d :roll

microsuck
05-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Logan
The 8i driver IS backwards compatible, so long as you disable MTS support.

TRU DAT, PLAYBOY:twitch:
ANDREW

not a thread you would expect to see on a truck forum. I keep forgetting most of us are nerds.:banana:

99WhiteBeast
05-13-2003, 01:21 PM
I've established a new ODBC connection with the Oracle 8 driver and disabled the MTS for that specific connection- I don't see where you disable it for the driver itself.

Anyway when trying to import or link tables with that connection Access dies (not responding)- no errors:confused:

If I "test" the connection it says it is ok and I know the box is up and there is also no network issues.

microsuck
05-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Is this at work or at your home? (I doubt you are running an oracle DB ad home:twitch: ) gonna need some more network environment info.
Andrew

99WhiteBeast
05-13-2003, 02:21 PM
I work from home but this is on my "work" machine running Win2000

I was able to hit all those Oracle73 boxes prior to the Oracle8i upgrade via Access using ODBC

microsuck
05-13-2003, 03:08 PM
so you are establishing a VPN connection to your company network, then using ODBC for oracle. Right? Does the WHOLE connection die (VPN) or just the connection to the data provider? also, increase the timeout under the "connection pooling" tab from 60 to 120. I dont claim to be a DB expert, just lending a hand. good luck
Andrew

dboat
05-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by microsuck
TRU DAT, PLAYBOY:twitch:
ANDREW

not a thread you would expect to see on a truck forum. I keep forgetting most of us are nerds.:banana:

Speak for yourself there, MS boy.... LOL :roll :evil

Dana

microsuck
05-13-2003, 03:44 PM
well, i did say MOST (not all).....:D
and some much more than others:bows
Andrew

99WhiteBeast
05-13-2003, 03:44 PM
I have the VPN connection up and have IE running and an email client- there are no issues with the connection to my company.

When I fire up Access and try to link or import external data via the ODBC connection I am able to get a Oracle login screen.

After that point is where is dies trying to display the list of tables that I have "rights" to

This is very perplexing- I can get to it via SQL so I know the box is up.

I don't know SQL well enough to perform updates and joins so I use Access

microsuck
05-13-2003, 03:51 PM
call your company's helpdesk. its what they get paid to do. but if they are anything like mine they wont know a damn thing.
now it is beginning to sound more like an MS Access issue more than a ODBC driver problem. What MS Access version is it? I suggest an office update.
Andrew

cpeapea
05-13-2003, 03:54 PM
i hate db.

blueoval01
05-13-2003, 04:22 PM
Steve, if your happy creating your SQL queries in Access, then copy one from Access to your clipboard. Paste it into the Oracle Enterprize manager and/or Query Analyzer and test.

Logan
05-13-2003, 05:20 PM
jesus... Nerd city... :)

Sounds like an MS Access problem if the sql is functioning properly.

Did I mention Access sucks?

microsuck
05-13-2003, 05:22 PM

TRU DAT

blueoval01
05-13-2003, 06:12 PM

Yep, that's what I was thinkin'.
Access tends to add a lot of formating crap to it's queries that ORA 8I might be having trouble with. :confused:

99WhiteBeast
05-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Guys we're missing the point.

I can't get to the DB yet to even run Access queries. When trying to get "external data" it asks for my Oracle login and then dies trying to display the linked table list that I have rights to.

It worked fine on Monday am before the Oracle 8I upgrade.

I'm thinking it is some kind of issue with the DNS suffix on my machine verses the TNSNAMES.ORA and that isn't in sync.

Access may suck but it is what I know and works well for what I need it for.

And for the record our IS Help Desk doesn't know their head from their ass

blueoval01
05-13-2003, 07:58 PM
OK, Steve. So I assume you don't have any saved queries from Access that you can run through a ORA 8i client.
Was the upgrade done by the company IS department or out-sourced?
From your last reply, it sounds like it was out-sourced. Get hold of those folks and explain your situation.
If the VPN is failing to the server (sounds like it isn't)then check entries into your HOST file and VPN client.
If in fact you can connect and "serve SQL" through another client other than Access, I'm not sure that TNSNAMES is an issue unless the ODBC connection is fouled up. Try creating a brand new DSN connection with a new name and such. Then try Access through it.
?:cool:
NOW, with that said I just looked at MSDN on the MS website. There IS a different ODBC driver for ORA 8i verses 7.xxx. Have you upgraded the ODBC?
ORA drivers (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/orcdrvsdk.asp)

microsuck
05-13-2003, 11:16 PM
as for DNS being the issue..... when you connect via VPN your remote access server will add all neccessary DNS servers and DNS suffixes to the search list. I doubt that is the problem. DNS causes 30% of the crap I have to deal with at work and it dosent appear to have a hand in this one.
Andrew

Ken
05-14-2003, 08:57 AM
My suggestion is to stop using the Oracle ODBC driver entirely. It and MS Access don't play well together.

I use MS ODBC for Oracle. It always works with all of our various Ora DBs, including Financials...

Sixpipes
05-14-2003, 10:08 AM
I have a calculator on my desk. :cool:

99WhiteBeast
05-14-2003, 12:28 PM
I have a calculator on my desk.
:roll

Good one Dennis- I needed that at this point.

Found out the problem it is a level rights permission issue-
the man (DBA) trying to keep a brother down:nono:

It is now a Operations vs IT issue and the war is on:throw:

microsuck
05-14-2003, 12:38 PM
local rights or network rights restriction?
Andrew

99WhiteBeast
05-14-2003, 01:36 PM
local rights or network rights restriction?

rights/permissions through Oracle

blueoval01
05-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 99WhiteBeast
rights/permissions through Oracle
One of the MS SQL Server service packs did the same thing to me. It blew away all the DB Groups I had setup as well. So, I had to redo everything. Grrrrr....... :mad:

L8 APEX
05-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Just like the right to izle! No Filtering of izle:bs

Logan
05-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Sounds like you've got an idiot for a DBA.

99WhiteBeast
05-18-2003, 09:22 AM
Finally figured it out- our corp helpdesk is worthless:throw:

If running Accees 2000 the Oracle8i drivers will work fine for ODBC but if on Access97 (like myself) I had to use to MS ODBC driver for Oracle to get connected

What a PITA

microsuck
05-18-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by microsuck

now it is beginning to sound more like an MS Access issue more than a ODBC driver problem. What MS Access version is it? I suggest an office update.
Andrew
Told you so! hehe :D j/k:twitch:
Andrew

Logan
05-19-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Logan Sounds like an MS Access problem if the sql is functioning properly.

Did I mention Access sucks? [/B]

I told him so second... :)

blueoval01
05-20-2003, 07:22 PM
Hey Steve, here's a purdy cool SQL tool you might try ...
SQL Tool (http://www.aquafold.com/)
.. Mostly Java based ... :cool: