PDA

View Full Version : calling Ron, (03LightningRocks)

George G.
05-07-2003, 05:42 PM
I'm needing some AC work done, can you help me? I'm needing this piece between the furnace and evap(in the attic) replaced. It has a hole and is not sealing.(essentially its blowing cold air in the attic) Let me know. thanks

03LightningRocks
05-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by George G.
I'm needing some AC work done, can you help me? I'm needing this piece between the furnace and evap(in the attic) replaced. It has a hole and is not sealing.(essentially its blowing cold air in the attic) Let me know. thanks

I'd love to help you out, but we can't go that far out yet. We service the Plano/North Dallas..Richardson area and points north of the above.

The piece your referring to is the transition. It should be a fairly simple thing to fix. I don't normally see holes just pop up in transitions. Is it a large round hole in the middle or is it leaking around the edges?

Rocks

George G.
05-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Well, it seem to have separated from the furnace part(on the bottom) and I think one of the service guys that did some repairs a couple of years ago used tin snips and cut an L shape into it. Not sure why but I know it wasn't there before. It's too late to try and make them pay for it. I tried to pull the 2 pieces together to seal em up but it didn't work and I don't know enough about that stuff. I also tried duck tape, it'll hold for a day or two then blow open. What does something like that usually run for..ballpark?

Thanks for your help.

03LightningRocks
05-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Duct tape doesn't stick well due to the constant temp changes in the attic.

For the gap that is getting air out of it, you may want to try foil tape. It is sold in the same place that sells duct tape. That L that is cut into the transition is probably where they opened it up to gain access for cleaning the coil.

If you attempt to seal it up with the foil tape, turn off the A/C while you do it. Once you get the tape placed over the gap under the furnace, wad up a mess of the paper backing off the foil tape and use it to rub the tape on briskly. This will build some friction and seal the tape better. Be sure and wear some good work gloves. If you catch a peice of sharp metal under there it will cut the bejesus out of you.

Do the same on the L shaped cut on the side.

We would probably charge about a 100 bucks to go out and do this if it was just a simple seal job.

You could also talk to Terry Da Tuner about wether or not he would want to slip by there on the side to tape it up. He does commercial A/C but may be willing to make some cash on the side. He lives in that neck of the woods.

Rocks:tu:

blueoval01
05-07-2003, 07:51 PM
... foil tape rocks.
I used it on some external pipes (ducts) years ago and it lasted for a looonnnggg time.:tu:

George G.
05-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Cool, I'll pick some up and give it a shot. thanks for the info.

cpeapea
05-07-2003, 08:56 PM
wouldnt you know it...ductape is great for everything but for what it was made for...duct work...bah

dboat
05-07-2003, 09:06 PM
cpeapea.. I just bought some of the clear duct tape at Home Depot.. its pretty cool stuff.. used it to tape the underlayment for my new laminate floor..
:banana:

L8 APEX
05-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Though I have no time to think anymore I could possibly slip by. If there are hot chicks in the area:D Also maybe try some fiber board to make a patch panel.

George G.
05-08-2003, 08:34 AM
That's true about the duct tape not being good for duct work! Never could figure that one out.

Terry, no hot chicks in the area....but there is a (gulp!)Waffle House near by! Let me try the foil tape and if that doesn't work, I'll give you a hollar to see if you can align these pieces.:tu:

cpeapea
05-08-2003, 05:00 PM
clear duct tape? wow, who woulda thought...

George G.
05-19-2003, 09:17 AM
I've had the foil tape on for over a week now and its still holding. thanks again Ron, and Terry for the offer. I'm glad I was able to save some money this time.:banana:

03LightningRocks
05-19-2003, 08:14 PM
:tu: ........now you can buy more mods.:d

Glad I could help.

Rocks

MrsMy2002Lightning
05-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by George G.
I've had the foil tape on for over a week now and its still holding. thanks again Ron, and Terry for the offer. I'm glad I was able to save some money this time.:banana:

Hmmm ... You've had it on for over a week now? KINKY !!!!!

:twitch:

blueoval01
05-30-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by MrsMy2002Lightning
Hmmm ... You've had it on for over a week now? KINKY !!!!!
:twitch:
Yep, I've heard (no personal experience) that foil tape makes a great substitute for pasties & g-strings.
Little more painful to take them off, though. :eek2:

dboat
05-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by blueoval01
Yep, I've heard (no personal experience) that foil tape makes a great substitute for pasties & g-strings.
Little more painful to take them off, though. :eek2:

uhhh, thats why you shave:d :eek2:

MrsMy2002Lightning
05-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by dboat
uhhh, thats why you shave:d :eek2:

Ok ............................... long pause ...

Absolutely no comments to that one.

LOL

dboat
05-30-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by MrsMy2002Lightning
Ok ............................... long pause ...

Absolutely no comments to that one.

LOL

HMMMMMM musta hit close to home then....

:roll :evil

MrsMy2002Lightning
05-30-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by dboat
HMMMMMM musta hit close to home then....

:roll :evil

ha ha ha you funny guy (chinese accent)

hehe! YANUT!

:nono: