PDA

View Full Version : Help!

MadMax
05-16-2002, 12:19 PM
I am considering a career change. I have an interest in IT. I have also thought about the medical industry. To further my education is not out of the question. :D Devry in Irving has a decent reputation. What do you guys think? I have went from 80K down to zilch!!! :mad: The Telecom industry has lost 500,000 in the last year alone! :nono: MCI/WORLDCOM stock is at less than 2.00 a share. I can pick up a job in San Jose. I do not want to move. I have family in Fort Worth. Any ideas??? :D

Ivanhoe_Farms
05-16-2002, 03:51 PM
The IT industry has gone through somewhat of a cleansing with the .coms becoming .gones --- If you are thinking about the IT industry at this point, go against the grain and look at the zOS IBM platform. While it is "tired iron", most of us pootietangers are getting ready to say goodbye, and there will be a huge vacuum. The old language COBOL has over 2.2 Billion lines of code in production, and there will not be many people that will know it-- SCARCITY = $$$$$$$ . Just my $.02 worth:rolleyes:

blueoval01
05-16-2002, 07:06 PM
Ivanhoe_Farms has a good point. I know a lot of Cobol programmers that made big freakin' money on the year 2000 debacle. :tu:
I believe there are quite a few guys on this board that have jobs related to the IT industry in one form or another. :D

I think if your wanting to head down that path, "specialization" would be the key word.

Just about anything database related is good pay.
Would you agree Logan ? :cool:

Logan
05-17-2002, 10:32 AM
I would indeed. Anything to do with Unix system admin or Database administration is worth big bucks.

I started my career as a Unix system administrator... I now can administer any SCO system, Linux system, Sun, HP, IBM system's... I'm also a certified Oracle 8i/9i Database admin...

Oracle DBA's are always in demand. Junior DBA's typically start out around $45-55K, with Senior DBA'S (3+ years) approaching up to $100K. Apps DBA's typically garner $100K+ fairly easily. I have a couple buddies taking down $140K/yr as apps DBA's with 4 years of experience. Worst part is, they're idiots.

That being said, IBM DB2 DBA's are in just as much demand, perhaps even more so due to IBM's increasing market share.

The job is stupid simple compared to being a network tech or hardware engineer, who typically are getting less money and actually have to think for a living.

It's a weird world, take advantage of it.

blueoval01
05-17-2002, 11:03 AM
Here's a good article from Cert Times ........

Cert Times (http://www.certtimes.com/it/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=31)

Badcarma
05-17-2002, 10:40 PM
I am currently in the medical arena, and have been in it for about 8 years. The one think I know I can count on is JOB SECURITY. In the metroplex you can work 360 days a week, and the money is no bad either.....lots of different areas of specialties to choose from for sure. Big shortages in the future...is equal to increased pay yearly.:D

MadMax
05-17-2002, 10:52 PM
This is good feedback... :D