PDA

View Full Version : JBA Headers >>

wesman
05-16-2002, 12:13 AM
Worth it? I'm looking into mods and trying to see what peoples experiences were with them. I remmeber reading Logans profile adn seeing he had JBA headers......worth it or just go with the long tubes ?

I alredy have a Bassani Catback on the way along with a flip chip, 4lb pulley and the 90mm MAF and filter.

BTW-Anyone ever just gotten straight pipes instead of the cats? I run straight pipes all the way through to my catback on my Z's....just wondering if anyone has done it on their L and what it was like......yes I know no cats is illegal.....but so is damn near everything else you do to a car these days.

Sixpipes
05-16-2002, 08:53 AM
If you want performance, go with the long tubes. If you just can't stand the cheap-ass stock manifolds, go with the JBAs like I did. You will get better sound out of the JBA headers (compared to stock), but not much performance increase. $$$ vs. $. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Chris Dehart (aka:str8 pipes) has straights on his truck and they sound pretty good. Not as loud as you would expect unless you are in closed garage doing a dyno. :D His truck set off the alarm system in a Corvette that was parked outside the garage at the Fastech dyno last year.

wesman
05-16-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Sixpipes
If you want performance, go with the long tubes. If you just can't stand the cheap-ass stock manifolds, go with the JBAs like I did. You will get better sound out of the JBA headers (compared to stock), but not much performance increase. $$$ vs. $. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Chris Dehart (aka:str8 pipes) has straights on his truck and they sound pretty good. Not as loud as you would expect unless you are in closed garage doing a dyno. :D His truck set off the alarm system in a Corvette that was parked outside the garage at the Fastech dyno last year.

Cool....I think I may jsut go with the long tubes....who knows...I don't wanna go through the expense of having the JBA's installed etc and then not be satisfied and have to do it all over again with long tubes.

As far as Chris's truck goes, he has straight pipes all the back from the headers? Basically eliminating the cats ? I want to get the long tubes and then straight pipe to the catback...I want it loder but not as loud as Bubba in his Chevy with glass pacs :)

Thanks for the info.

--wes

Sixpipes
05-16-2002, 09:17 AM
I think Chris is still running the stock cats. If I'm not mistaken, he just took the muffler out.

Logan
05-16-2002, 09:28 AM
Definately go long tubes if it's performance you want. The shorties just sound good, they do squat for performance.

wesman
05-16-2002, 12:43 PM
Cool...not so much interested in the sound...long tubes it is.

So back to the cats question....anyone straight piped it? The gains there are amazing.....on my Z I picked up 25-30 rwhp by going with straight pipes to replace the cats.

--wes

L8 APEX
05-16-2002, 03:08 PM
You will lose HP and peak/re-arch the nice flat stock exhaust power curve if you remove the cats. Lose the front pups but keep the two large ones or get high flows. These engines like a little back pressure:tu:

Ivanhoe_Farms
05-16-2002, 03:54 PM
Make sure you reburn the chip for the long tubes --- According to a certain tuner, that is where the real HP is or something;)

wesman
05-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
You will lose HP and peak/re-arch the nice flat stock exhaust power curve if you remove the cats. Lose the front pups but keep the two large ones or get high flows. These engines like a little back pressure:tu:

That's why i was asking :)

Still learning....still learning :)

Thanks,

--wes