PDA

View Full Version : Had to put the St. Bernard Down....

tliss
04-25-2003, 12:50 PM
He started having massive seizures again last night that caused him to go completely nuts for several hours. He didn't recognize anyone in the house, and lost his memory of home. He whined and cried all night, and after consulting with the vet, she stated the best thing would be to put him down. A 4-month old puppy going through what he was going through was not good. We feel we did what was best. I just feel so bad that I had to make this decision.

Sorry to have to post this, but I feel even more sorry for my poor little puppy that was suffering.

Tom :crying: :crying: :crying:

98Cobra
04-25-2003, 02:02 PM
That sucks Tom. Sorry to hear that.

Crawford
04-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Sorry to hear that Tom. :(

Silver_2000
04-25-2003, 04:38 PM
That Sucks :(

dboat
04-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Kim and I send our most heart felt condolensces. It is so hard to lose a puppy.

Dana and Kim

Logan
04-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Awwww maaaan... That sucks. I had to put one of my cats I've had for over 10 years to sleep last year, it's always hard making that decision, but you did the right thing.

I feel for ya buddy. Hang in there.

tliss
04-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys...this day has totally sucked a$$. That dog house I built in the backyard keeps staring at me, and I had a very hard time picking up his toys and stuff all over the house and backyard. Poor little guy never did anything to anybody and didn't deserve to get sick like he did.

Tom

Silver_2000
04-25-2003, 10:25 PM
Think about what he had and not what he didnt. He had a cool life with a cool family that cared. Its a hell of a lot better than many dogs and cats get.

Sometimes I worry about my dogs when I dont get home to feed em till late some nights..
Then I think - How many dogs get the best food the best care and the run of a suburban house all day in the A/C ..

I am not the best at keeping a glass is half full view but you really need to in times like this...

Doug

cpeapea
04-25-2003, 11:20 PM
im sure hes better off where ever he is. My condolences go out to him and you.

blueoval01
04-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
Think about what he had and not what he didnt. He had a cool life with a cool family that cared. Its a hell of a lot better than many dogs and cats get.

Sometimes I worry about my dogs when I dont get home to feed em till late some nights..
Then I think - How many dogs get the best food the best care and the run of a suburban house all day in the A/C ..

I am not the best at keeping a glass is half full view but you really need to in times like this...

Doug
Well said, Doug.

L8 APEX
04-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Time to move to the next step of healing, anger with an extra scoop of arse whooping:flaming: Do we need to make a trip to the breeder? Do you think you want a Bernard again? Maybe a border collie or shepherd? :tu:

Logan
04-26-2003, 07:30 PM
I'd have serious questions for the breeder. That type of thing is a common side effect of severe in-breeding.

But that's the big problem with dog breeders, they're a dime a dozen, and not accountable to anyone...

Kick some ass Tom.

tliss
04-26-2003, 08:20 PM
We're probably going to go back to her and give her hell. I wan't to see the family lineage for my own sake.

Chances are we will go for another St. Bernard, but iut won't be for a while.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. It means a lot. And I know he's better off now; he suffered too much in his short life.

Tom

Wht95Lightning
04-26-2003, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It certainly sounds like you did the right thing. No need for him to be suffering. :(

L8 APEX
04-27-2003, 12:30 AM
AKC organization blows chunks:vomit: You can breed brother and sister as long as they both have papers you get more papered dogs:bs Breeders have been using AKC rules to ruin bloodlinesand breeds for decades now. I am into Shepherds and buy European dogs. Once again they do stuff much better than USA does:hammer: In order to breed and title dogs in their program both male and female have to have proof of XX generations of previous lineage, both have at least a Schitzund 1 rating which is their competition system or obedience, tracking, and protection. Also must have at least an OFA (orthopedic foundation something) X-rayed and certified hips/joints of good or better. That protects against hip and joint problems. You can truly buy with confidence from those breeders :tu:

Moonshine
04-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Tom,

Please accept my sincere condolences. That's always a tough decision, but it sounds like it was the right decision.

tliss
04-28-2003, 11:04 AM
I spoke to the breeder yesterday. She assured me that there is no inbreeding done in her kennel, which makes me feel a little better. She said she will ahve another litter of pups ready in September, and if we want we are entitled to one. She felt really bad about our loss and is willing to work with us in any way possible.

The vet consulted with a doggie neurologist and the signs pointed to a tumor or some other brain abnormaility. I'm still working through this, and tried like hell to keep my mind off of him this weekend. All I know is he was suffering and this was the best thing for him.

Tom

Logan
04-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Glad to hear it Tom. September is a ways off give it time. It's a good sign that they're giving you rights on another pup. The unscrupulous one's certainly don't.