PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I have a little work to do before FFW Houston.

Sixpipes
04-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Talked with Danny Swanson today about my recent problems with high A/F numbers during our most recent dyno session at Speedwerks. He is very puzzeled with my readings because he has similar programs on a number of trucks with similar mods and they all run 10.5 to 11.5 A/F ratios. Go_rila is running almost 13. We've come to a mutual agreement that the high A/F is probably an exhaust leak which is causing a false reading, yet I haven't been able to detect any exhaust problems.

He is going to send me a 4-way chip with the two programs I currently have on my 2-way and then burn the exact same programs in positions 3 and 4 except add more fuel.

Theory is, if the horsepower readings drop off in positions 3 & 4 yet the A/F is still high, one could assume there is an exhaust leak somewhere. If the horsepower and A/F both drop together (in the correct proportions) then the original chip programs were too lean.

Looks like I may need to visit Speedworks before I leave for Houston. :cool:

TxBolt
04-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Speedwerks Dennis where is this place?

Sixpipes
04-24-2003, 09:13 PM
It's our regular dyno place in Lewisville.

http://www.txspeedworks.com/location.cfm

03LightningRocks
04-25-2003, 05:43 AM
Dennis,

My race program came in the mail yesterday. I am calling Speedworks today to set up an appointment for 6 pulls for mine.
When are you planning to go. I am shooting for Saturday morning sometime but I have to see if they have openings.

Rocks

99WhiteBeast
04-25-2003, 07:33 AM
hmmm what are going to do with the old 2 way chip.......

TxBolt
04-26-2003, 04:06 AM
Thats a long way from these sticks!! If its the best, I will make that trip after Jim does my chip at FFW. I will save the map. Thanks!

03LightningRocks
04-26-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by 99WhiteBeast
hmmm what are going to do with the old 2 way chip.......

The old chip is a single program street tune. The new chip has street on one side...100 octane on the other.

I plan to keep it to use it as a spare when I send the flip in for any changes we do to it.

Rocks:nana2

Sixpipes
04-26-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by 03LightningRocks
Dennis,

My race program came in the mail yesterday. I am calling Speedworks today to set up an appointment for 6 pulls for mine.
When are you planning to go. I am shooting for Saturday morning sometime but I have to see if they have openings.

Rocks
The Swanson 4-way is a "borrowed" chip just for testing. I am out of town, but should be back on Tuesday. I am going to try and set up a dyno session for late Thursday afternoon before our meeting. :cool:

MadMax
04-26-2003, 11:48 AM
For those whom have a basic understanding of digital encoding techniques. Ford uses the algorithm "pulse width modulation" to control duty cycle on fuel injector actuation and close. A/F ratios are compensated to some degree by the variance in duty cycle. Jackson Racing with the newly release S/C for the SVT Focus is altering A/F ratio by adjusting the PWM/Duty Cycle of the injector sequence. Simple electronics adjust the phase relationship of circuits in question and digital encoding techniques convert them to the binary format to be used by the control/address bus on the ECM chipset.

What did he say? "No two ECM computers are identical from the factory. Tolerance in individual components, resisitors, capacitors etc. will create a variance. Only 1 reason why no two trucks will react the same. I doubt very seriously if Ford is using Military Spec componetry.....

Then you add variance in sensors, Mass Air Flow, O2, etc that report to the ECM and you have additional variables...

:evil molecules in motion...

dboat
04-26-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by MadMax
For those whom have a basic understanding of digital encoding techniques. Ford uses the algorithm "pulse width modulation" to control duty cycle on fuel injector actuation and close. A/F ratios are compensated to some degree by the variance in duty cycle. Jackson Racing with the newly release S/C for the SVT Focus is altering A/F ratio by adjusting the PWM/Duty Cycle of the injector sequence. Simple electronics adjust the phase relationship of circuits in question and digital encoding techniques convert them to the binary format to be used by the control/address bus on the ECM chipset.

What did he say? "No two ECM computers are identical from the factory. Tolerance in individual components, resisitors, capacitors etc. will create a variance. Only 1 reason why no two trucks will react the same. I doubt very seriously if Ford is using Military Spec componetry.....

Then you add variance in sensors, Mass Air Flow, O2, etc that report to the ECM and you have additional variables...

:evil molecules in motion...

He sure does talk pretty now dont he??:tongue:

wesman
04-26-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by 03LightningRocks
Dennis,

Rocks

It's open dyno days on Sat for the most part. Just show up and sign in and they will throw it on the dyno.

--wes

03LightningRocks
04-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by wesman
It's open dyno days on Sat for the most part. Just show up and sign in and they will throw it on the dyno.

--wes

Oh, I didn't know that. I didn't get to the dyno today anyway. I have a Metco Idler pull comming to me. I would like to put that on to see if it stops the belt slip I started getting with that POS 2lb upper I have. If it does I should be getting 16-17 lbs of boost and I want to see what the A/F's are at that boost with and without the race program running.

Maybe Tues or Weds. I hope.

Rocks:nana2

wesman
04-26-2003, 11:26 PM
Let me know if it helps, I seem to be getting some slip as well, even with my gatorback belt.

if you try to go up there during the week you will definitely have to call ahead and schedule it.

--wes

03LightningRocks
04-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up Wes. I probably should call them monday Morning to make sure i get a time before Thursday.

I will let you know what happens with the boost. If I can't get the boost up, it means I waisted 225 bucks on an upper pulley.
I was getting 14-15lbs of boost before i had that thing put on. I am still getting 14-15lbs and only really see 15 at about the 1000 ft mark. It kind off pisses me off. I know I am getting belt slip I did not have before the 2lb upper because I see black belt dust behind the pulleys.

I'll report the results of the idler pulleys as soon as I get them on.

Rocks:beer: