PDA

View Full Version : Attn PC gurus, 802.11b question

Wht95Lightning
04-18-2003, 09:59 AM
I just got a new laptop and it has built in WiFi. My home network is all hardwired. I want to take advantage of the WiFi but do not want to buy a new router.
Can I connect a wireless access point or similar device to an open port on my router and wirelessly connect with my laptop?

If not, what options do I have?

Thanks

Silver_2000
04-18-2003, 10:09 AM
yes :roll

Wht95Lightning
04-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
yes :roll

Is that a yes, I can connect a wireless access point to an open router port to communicate with my laptop wirelessly?

Or is that sarcasm?

I thought it was a legitimate question. When you don't know you ask right?

I don't have time to jack around with the kids at best buy and waste time returning things I didn't need to begin with.

Silver_2000
04-18-2003, 10:54 AM
There was certainly sarcasm intended in the reply.
Of course there is sarcasm on most of my replies :d

The answer to your primary question is yes you just need an access point. For more detail you can click the banner for the Technical consulting business I run that helps support the site, that runs at the top of the forums.

Wireless is just that it, replaces the wire. Whether it will work or not can be explained if a wire will work in that place.

A major portion of the income that Bosshelp Technical consulting makes comes from small business/home network and wireless installs.

Doug

Wht95Lightning
04-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks Doug :tu:

IMHO you should put some color in that banner. I didn't even notice it was there until you mentioned it.

I think I am going to get the Netgear Model: NTG ME102.
From what I read on the web, it sounds like the most powerful one (signal strength wise) for under $100.

Of course, I already have a 200' spool of cat 5 I can just drag around the house and not spend a dime. Oh wait, what if the SO trips over that bright blue cable running across the floor. :hammer:
I think I'll spend the c-note.

Silver_2000
04-18-2003, 11:13 AM
It pains me to give away all my secrets for free BUT
If I were you I would buy something like this

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=282388&pfp=BROWSE

http://www.compusa.com/product_images/images/small/88/282388.gif

EtherFast Wireless Access Point + Cable/DSL Router w/ 4-Port Switch

In-Store Price: $99.99
Internet Price: $84.99
after rebate(s)*
Manufacturer: Linksys
Mfg Part #: BEFW11S4
Product Number: 282388
Usually Ships In: 48 Hours
Buy Online:
Find In-Store:
Online savings only. Not available for in-store pick-up.

And sell your router - The net cost would be under $40 or so depending on what you can get for the router

blueoval01
04-18-2003, 11:49 AM
That LinkSys model is what I have. Works great. Had it well over a year now and I think I paid about $140 then.
If I had to do it over, I'd get the model with the print server as well. But, that's me and my .02 worth.

microsuck
04-18-2003, 12:20 PM
If you live in a surburb, be sure you configure the MAC access list in your wireless AP config utillity(comes with the AP). Most of the default to "accept all". Otherwise you will end up with a bunch of leeches on your network. Yes, it happens.
Andrew

Silver_2000
04-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by microsuck
If you live in a surburb, be sure you configure the MAC access list in your wireless AP config utillity(comes with the AP). Most of the default to "accept all". Otherwise you will end up with a bunch of leeches on your network. Yes, it happens.
Andrew

War driving ? Borrowing the bandwidth of the less informed ?

Never happens ... :banana: :roll :nono:

cpeapea
04-18-2003, 02:21 PM
i like playing with wireless internet access. is pretty much completely anonomous other than MAC address.

L8 APEX
04-18-2003, 11:01 PM
Linksys rules:bows :banana:

Wht95Lightning
04-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I ended up replacing the whole router.
So now I have my hardwired machines and my WiFi laptop all running smoothly.
Hopefully it's secure. I set it to only accept the mac address from my laptop on the wireless side and I have 256 bit encryption running.

Wahooo no wires!:tu:

Silver_2000
04-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Wht95Lightning
Thanks for all the tips. I ended up replacing the whole router.
So now I have my hardwired machines and my WiFi laptop all running smoothly.
Hopefully it's secure. I set it to only accept the mac address from my laptop on the wireless side and I have 256 bit encryption running.

Wahooo no wires!:tu:

If you have mac address filterinig on then The encryption is redundant AND it slows down thru put. Which vendor did you go with ? Wasnt aware they had 256 bit encryption.. Did you mean 128 ?

Wht95Lightning
04-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
If you have mac address filterinig on then The encryption is redundant AND it slows down thru put. Which vendor did you go with ? Wasnt aware they had 256 bit encryption.. Did you mean 128 ?

I went with the DLink DI-614+. 256 is right. It has 3 choices in the setup, 64, 128 and 256. Surfing and checking email seems normal. Doing a speed test through Charters member tools came up just slightly lower than my desktop which is hardwired.

The main reason I went with the DLink is purely price. I got a sweet deal, about half of what the Linksys was and right now cheap is at the top of my list.

Starter went out on the Infiniti today, dealer quoted $525 :eek2:
I went and got one from autozone for $120 + $65 core. Tomorrow I will attempt to put it in, hell it took me 20 minutes just to find it on the car. It's buried under a ton of braces, harness', and steering components. I think I would rather cut off a finger but for a $400 savings I will figure it out.

microsuck
04-21-2003, 09:22 PM
I have never had any problems with d-link stuff. most all my net gear at home is by them.
Andrew

99WhiteBeast
12-16-2003, 08:09 PM
EtherFast Wireless Access Point + Cable/DSL Router w/ 4-Port Switch

In-Store Price: $99.99
Internet Price: $84.99
after rebate(s)*
Manufacturer: Linksys
Mfg Part #: BEFW11S4
Product Number: 282388
Usually Ships In: 48 Hours
Buy Online:
Find In-Store:
Online savings only. Not available for in-store pick-up.

And sell your router - The net cost would be under $40 or so depending on what you can get for the router
This stuff has gone way down in the last year- paid $59 at Best Buy last night and also picked a wireless B pci card- out the door for a Franklin

Wht95Lightning
12-16-2003, 08:48 PM
Dang Steve, you pulled this thread out of the basement. ;)
I noticed in the last couple of weeks that the G routers are cheaper than what I paid for my B router :flaming: . That's why I hate buying computer parts. As soon as I turn around it's twice as good and half as much.

blueoval01
12-16-2003, 08:50 PM
I'd gladly sell my Linksys BEFW11S4 and PCI card, that i've had for 2 years just to go to the "G" . Way-Way faster, especially if your using wireless.