PDA

View Full Version : Need puter help

99WhiteBeast
04-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Can't delete any emails from Outlook Express and also can't compact folders in Outlook due to limited disk space.

My brother has been sending me tons of audio files via email lately.I've killed from TEMP folder but they still occupy space in my Inbox and need to delete them to free up disc space.

Any suggestions?

Silver_2000
04-08-2003, 08:57 PM
What operating system ???

Doug

L8 APEX
04-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Do a hard restart and make sure you are logged in as usual:D

Silver_2000
04-08-2003, 10:59 PM
If it is Windows XP send me a PM and Ill take a look..

Try emptying the temp internet files,

Empty the recycle bin

Empty C:\temp and C:\windows\temp

If you have the CD the Operating system came on then you can remove parts of the install files if they are on the HD.
Look in C:\windows\options\cabs if you have the windows CD you can delete the contents of the cabs files ( temporarily )

You can also reset your Windows swap file to a smaller size and reboot to save disk space ( temporarily )

Go to Control panel add remove programs - Remove any programs you don't need any more or ESPECIALLY any games you don't play anymore. Then reboot and try to prune the outlook express again. In Outlook express options there is a maintenance setting that only shrinks the files after there is 20% or more wasted space - set it down to 5%

Doug

microsuck
04-09-2003, 10:14 AM
the quickest fix is to do "properties" of the root drive(usually "C") and under the general tab, there is "disk cleanup" run it, check ALL the boxes, dont worry, its safe, and run, it. If you select "compress old files" there is a posibility you my suffer a slight performance decrease. Not likely though. However, I would just buy a bigger drive. 120G WD 7.2K RPM drives are at $100 now. I bought 4, hehe. I like having a server with 450+ gig of storage.
Andrew

99WhiteBeast
04-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys,
I used Doug's suggestion and was able to finally compact those folders in Outlook. I'm now at a whopping 90MB free on my drive.

I've removed all non essential programs and games so I can at least function for a little longer.

I'm still on Win95 and in serious need of an upgrade on this DellXPSD300 desktop.

Question on installing a new drive: I just burn off everything on "C" and then copy back to new drive or do I have to install new OS and all my programs?

microsuck
04-10-2003, 05:33 PM
yes, you do. You cant copy the operating system and registry via a cd, burn. one, it wont fit, two the files will be in use. you can, however, use an application from Norton called "ghost" which will copy the entire image of your disk onto a new harddrive. I use it alot at work. Good luck.
Andrew