PDA

View Full Version : New Inspection Results!

L8 APEX
05-10-2002, 10:49 AM
You guys are going to LOVE the new inspection process! I just had it done and learned a lot from what the media hyped up. 96 and newer (OBD2) cars do not get the probe or the rollers. They simply do a safety, visual, gas cap test, then plug the machine into the diagnostic port. The testing machine which is connedcted to Austin via modem scans your computer for DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). So you can have a crazy built LS1 motor spitting out raw fuel and as long as there are no codes in the computer you are done:D:tu: So when you take a 96 up vehicle in pull your chip, and have Doug or I scan it and reset any codes and you are good to go! Can't believe the media made it sound so ominous...

DWSmooth
05-10-2002, 11:17 AM
Terry,

What about us poor guys who have superchips? If I dont have any SES codes coming up now what are the impacts?

David

wesman
05-10-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
You guys are going to LOVE the new inspection process! I just had it done and learned a lot from what the media hyped up. 96 and newer (OBD2) cars do not get the probe or the rollers. They simply do a safety, visual, gas cap test, then plug the machine into the diagnostic port. The testing machine which is connedcted to Austin via modem scans your computer for DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). So you can have a crazy built LS1 motor spitting out raw fuel and as long as there are no codes in the computer you are done:D:tu: So when you take a 96 up vehicle in pull your chip, and have Doug or I scan it and reset any codes and you are good to go! Can't believe the media made it sound so ominous...

Yep...I had mine done on the 2nd of May right after the new law. Passed with flying colors.

--wes

L8 APEX
05-10-2002, 03:14 PM
With a chip and boost solenoid unplugged it stores two codes without turning on the MIL light. When they scan they will see "P0605 internal ROM error and P0243 turbo waste gate malfunction" All chips give the same code.

wesman
05-10-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
With a chip and boost solenoid unplugged it stores two codes without turning on the MIL light. When they scan they will see "P0605 internal ROM error and P0243 turbo waste gate malfunction" All chips give the same code.

What if you leave everything plugged in ? What sort of codes does it spit out ? Would they automatically fail you ?

--wes

Silver_2000
05-10-2002, 05:21 PM
I've never seen the chip code either with my autotap or with the tool JDM uses...

I have seen the boost code though and it is easy to reset...

Doug

L8 APEX
05-10-2002, 06:44 PM
My $850 scan tool software is supposed to "see all know all" it sees 200 more points than the SGN or whatever the factory tool is called. So that may be it. It does not store in the DTC's but when you do the KOEO or KOER diagnostics it pulls up that you have the internal ROM bypassed with the chip. I have a buddy with the new setup I will try to do some testing and see what the state scans for. But is you have any O2 codes lean/rich idle etc they WILL fail you. I don't know if you drive around the corner and reset if it will pick up the pending codes or only hard set ones. Because when you reset it the computer will not light the MIL until it observes the condition for 3 key / drive cycles or something...

MadMax
05-14-2002, 06:39 PM
Doug/L8Apex. This is excellent information. Please keep us informed. :D