PDA

View Full Version : starting performance

Hell on Wheels
03-17-2003, 03:58 PM
hey guys, i am just now startig to do engine mods to my 01 silver lightning. I have done magnaflow for exhast, but am now looking at johny ram air and a throttle body to start with. what do you all think. should i do chip first or after so i can include all that on the burn of the chip. what would be some good mods for me to start with. thank you.:flaming:

L8 APEX
03-17-2003, 04:03 PM
Most guys start with chip, filter, and pulley. The main chip factors are pulley, octane, headers, etc. Other small bolt-ons like Tb's and shiney pieces don't affect the tune.:tu:

Hell on Wheels
03-17-2003, 04:06 PM
what damage does the pulley put on the engine and that is deffinately something you need the chip with right. sorry, since in wheelchair don't get to experiment alot with engine mods. Thank you for your patience.

L8 APEX
03-17-2003, 08:15 PM
The Lightning is not on my list of top ten reliable vehicles. You can do a lot of bolt-ons without running a serious risk of failure. TB, filter, electric fan, 2# pulley. A chip isn't the casue of the problem as much as the use of it's gains. Mooshine runs a chip and filter and needs a highly reliable vehicle in his duties.

Hell on Wheels
03-18-2003, 09:42 AM
Man you have got me scared now. Since i am in a wheelchair i am unable to just drive any other car on a minutes notice. I know this sounds bad, but the lightningis my daily driver. well beyond the funness of slamming the little skinny pedal to the floor and kicking the crap our of most imports and dang near all other american "muscle", and the side affects and dammage of that. What is not reliable about a lightning. and would you recommend me waiting till warranty is up before i make any kind of modifications, performance wise. Thank you. f0or your patience.:beer:

L8 APEX
03-18-2003, 10:55 AM
If the truck is that critical then I would stay away from chips and pulleys. They should run for a while stock unless they chunk a plug. Even then you can limp them somewhere.

Moonshine
03-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Different reasons than you, but I also need a dependable vehicle, and my L. is my daily driver. I run a filter and a MILD chip, and at 67K miles, the only time it's ever left me stranded is when it launched a plug. FYI, plug launching is a problem with the 5.4 Triton motor irrespective of any mods.

Hell on Wheels
03-20-2003, 10:26 AM
one more question. I have been noticing the lastw month that on start up she puffs out quite a bit of blueish whit smoke, which is making me think rings, which i hope not and it has need 2 quarts of oil between the last two oil changes. I have not done any racing, jsut small driving too and from work. to busy to go to track lately. Going to dealership (Warranty), but was just wondering if you guys had any ideas. Sorry to sound stupid. Thanks.:hammer:

Moonshine
03-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Two quarts between the last two oil changes? Unless you're going a loooong time between oil changes, then I'd agree that you are buring oil. And smoking on startup also doesn't sound healthy. Terry can correct me on this, but I believe the only "normal" smoking an L. should produce is if you haven't been on it hard in awhile some oil will collect in the supercharger, so the first time you do romp on it you'll get a big puff of smoke.

Hell on Wheels
03-20-2003, 10:40 AM
i am pretty strict on oil changes. if i do go to the track, i try my best to change that night, but like i said, i have not raced. I try not to go over 2500 miles between changes. just wanted to see if that was normal on start up with the supercharger. oh i know 2 quarts is far from normal on any engine. Just dont want them giving me crap on my warranty, you know what i mean. Thanks guys. i will be back with mods and maybe try to meet up with you guys somewhere on some events.

L8 APEX
03-20-2003, 10:53 AM
See what the dealer says. Mine used to smoke a lot.. well that isn't a good example:D I thought it smoked due to sucking lots of oil through the PCV system under high boost. There is a pickup tube in the lower intake that sucks that oil back into the blower to be burned.

Silver_2000
03-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Moonshine
the only time it's ever left me stranded is when it launched a plug. FYI, plug launching is a problem with the 5.4 Triton motor irrespective of any mods.

According to the Ford tech I spoke to today - Almost ALL engines are spitting plugs , 4.6, 5.4, all of them...

Hell on Wheels
03-20-2003, 12:03 PM
will it be obvious when that happens. what it is doing now wouldn't be that would it? Thanks.

Moonshine
03-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
According to the Ford tech I spoke to today - Almost ALL engines are spitting plugs , 4.6, 5.4, all of them...

I guess he means "almost all FORD engines"???????

Moonshine
03-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Hell on Wheels
will it be obvious when that happens. what it is doing now wouldn't be that would it? Thanks.

Oh yeah, if you ever launch a plug there will be no question that something bad just happened. You'll hear a huge "Bang" from under the hood, and then a "tatatatat" as the piston pumps air out of the head.

Hell on Wheels
03-24-2003, 12:48 PM
hey guys thought i would see what youall think if this. just let you know short back ground. i bout my 01 with 16k miles on it. i am right at 25K. well i told you about it burning 2 quarts between 3000mile changes. I am not leaking out any what so ever. they pulled down exhause and it is vull of burned oil an crap. so get this, they are ordering a whole hew engine from SVT and having it put in for me. all warranty. what do you all think about that.:burnout: :beer:

Red99Lightning
03-25-2003, 10:56 AM
:tu: Sounds great man im glad that there are some people out there that have no problems with there warranty's!! Have fun with the new motor :burnout: