PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Steering

Al Hughes
05-06-2002, 09:28 PM
What are you guys doing about the sloppy steering that these great trucks come with? Thanks for you help. Al Hughes

L8 APEX
05-06-2002, 09:52 PM
Not sure what you use to drive but I really like the steering in the trucks. Second only to the Vette :tu: What you may be feeling is the suspension taking up your input. I forgot that I had super suspension that makes it very precise:D Let me know when you are around D/FW and we'll take them around the track!

Al Hughes
05-06-2002, 10:39 PM
I had a 2000 Corvette and traded it for a 2003 Infinity G35 so I could have a four door and get my lightning. I race a vintage ASR with a steering system I built to be very precise. I also race a vintage 1972 Bobsy CanAm II Sports Racer that is 1/2 turn lock to lock. What I feel in the Lightning is a slow response to my input. It seems that the higher the speed the worse it is. Some cars I have owned were designed to provide less power steering and more road feel at speed this seems to provide less road feel at speed.
Some times adding more caster can improve road feel I just thought some of you had experenced the same feeling of less than total control. I have also ran across this with a bad set of tires so I will try rotating the tires and see if it helps. Thanks for your offer I would like to try someones truck and see if it responds the same as mine. Al Hughes

Liminator
05-06-2002, 11:05 PM
Could this be due to the size of the front tires! I notice my 01 road walks quite a bit, makes me feel like ive been drinking, even if I"ve only had a few officer.

MadMax
05-06-2002, 11:31 PM
someone needs to see about the Lincoln Blackwood rack and pinion...now if its rack and pinion this is what I am told..don't shoot the messenger :nono: someone page ruslow or something..

ruslow@yahoo.com should have the answers... :D

L8 APEX
05-06-2002, 11:50 PM
You have to keep in mind the origin or the L, a XLT F150. The truck has a lot of strong points but it will never be at "that" level. I am happy with mine. I am going to try some 25.3" tires next weekend. Yeah the stock tires have SOFT sidewalls and there is a lot of them. My Nitto 555's are a bit stiffer and handle better than the F1's at any pressure. Or something...